Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I need to tune mine to get rid of the limiter however, I have been 124 in my eco with no real mods (prior to exhaust).

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Don’t think it would really help, much at all. In a turbo charged application the exhaust gasses have a velocity that needs to be maintained through the system to prevent or lessen back pressure. Exhaust coming from the turbo needs to maintain the velocity to exit through the tail pipe so that exhaust gas coming behind don’t get backed up because it can’t get out fast enough. Remember motors are just air pumps, less restriction in and out makes more power.
That image of the interior of OEM mufflers will help others to understand why a straight through design makes more power though.
Wait, are you suggesting that putting holes in the muffler or in my case removing the mufflers completely that we won't see any performance increase?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Wait, are you suggesting that putting holes in the muffler or in my case removing the mufflers completely that we won't see any performance increase?
That’s 2 separate things there!

1.Cutting holes in the muffler isn’t going to help much at all, turbo cars need an exhaust designed to keep the exhaust gasses at a maximum velocity for power production. That’s why a straight through design is always recommended, you don’t want the exhaust gasses and sound waves bouncing off a bunch of crap (slowing) before they can get out.
2.Removing the mufflers is the best way to remove restrictions and build power....but most people and police don’t like the added volume or particular sound.

·
Registered
2018 Premium Fastback
54 Posts
That’s 2 separate things there!

1.Cutting holes in the muffler isn’t going to help much at all, turbo cars need an exhaust designed to keep the exhaust gasses at a maximum velocity for power production. That’s why a straight through design is always recommended, you don’t want the exhaust gasses and sound waves bouncing off a bunch of crap (slowing) before they can get out.
2.Removing the mufflers is the best way to remove restrictions and build power....but most people and police don’t like the added volume or particular sound.
Agreed. A straight through setup with straight trough mufflers is the way to go if you want any sound dampening. The initial exhaust gas should expand into the straight through mufflers sound dampening media, and when exhaust gas pressure builds up it has the option of taking the path of least resistance.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts