Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I recently purchased a 2017 Ecoboost and had some questions about tires. The current tires are listed below, but I have a feeling they will be running out of tread soon considering how much I drive. I drive approx. 120 miles a day total for work which is about 90% highway (65-75mph).

Current tires
19” Michelin pilot sport 4s
Rear – 275/40ZR
Front - 255/40ZR

I am not a tire guy, but I am guessing the above tires were not intended for lots of highway driving and will wear out soon. Any suggestions on a good brand that will last a good amount of miles. I realize price will be a factor and am looking not to spend more than 250$ a tire.

I am NOT looking to race at all. I am just looking for decent all season tire to get me from point A to B. Any suggestions on Brand / tire name?

Thanks for the help.

Note: the pic of penny tire is really dirty because I live on a dirt road.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi all,
I recently purchased a 2017 Ecoboost and had some questions about tires. The current tires are listed below, but I have a feeling they will be running out of tread soon considering how much I drive. I drive approx. 120 miles a day total for work which is about 90% highway (65-75mph).

Current tires
19” Michelin pilot sport 4s
Rear – 275/40ZR
Front - 255/40ZR

I am not a tire guy, but I am guessing the above tires were not intended for lots of highway driving and will wear out soon. Any suggestions on a good brand that will last a good amount of miles. I realize price will be a factor and am looking not to spend more than 250$ a tire.

I am NOT looking to race at all. I am just looking for decent all season tire to get me from point A to B. Any suggestions on Brand / tire name?

Thanks for the help.

Note: the pic of penny tire is really dirty because I live on a dirt road.
https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/tire_decision_guide.html

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Thanks for the link, I will check it out.
I've found their ratings fairly spot on. FWIW, I purchased the Yokohama Advan Sport All Season's precisely for treadlife, and they've worked out really well in that regard.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I replaced the P Zero summer tires on my 17 Ecoboost Mustang with General G-Max AS05 ultra high performance all season tires. I have about 5k miles on them. I am completely satisfied with my choice. They don't give up anything in the way of handling at responsible street speeds, the are smoother and quieter than the P Zeros and are much much better in the wet, plus they do not turn into hockey pucks when the temps approach freezing.

Dave

·
Registered
688 Posts
FWIW I have a modified 2017 PP as Daily driver. With over 122k on the clock it's got Sailaron Atezzo Z1s or something on them about $80 a corner fitted. I've got a Skyline and a Silvia also had a Supra and Datto 240z all stupidly modified. The best around tyres I found were the cheapest ones I could find and thats backed with over 25 years of driving on both side of the hemisphere in multiple countries. Do yourself a favour and save your money. The no name brand tyres on the market or more the adequate for road use its only when you take it to the track you will "need" it. Even then the Nankangs I had on the Skyline lasted 3 laps of the ring in Germany before they gave out.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I had pirelli p7 all season plus on my stang, I get 90k out of them on my other cars

but largest size is 255/40/19

next higher sizes are run flats which are supposedly louder

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FWIW I have a modified 2017 PP as Daily driver. With over 122k on the clock it's got Sailaron Atezzo Z1s or something on them about $80 a corner fitted. I've got a Skyline and a Silvia also had a Supra and Datto 240z all stupidly modified. The best around tyres I found were the cheapest ones I could find and thats backed with over 25 years of driving on both side of the hemisphere in multiple countries. Do yourself a favour and save your money. The no name brand tyres on the market or more the adequate for road use its only when you take it to the track you will "need" it. Even then the Nankangs I had on the Skyline lasted 3 laps of the ring in Germany before they gave out.
Good stuff, thanks for the info. I will look into them. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Pilot 4s is a highly rated summer tire with a 30k mile tread life warranty. They're arguably the best performing street tire available right now and they come with an impressive tread life warranty to boot. Looks like you've got plenty of life left in them (I'd say a little more than 50%), especially if you're just commuting. Swapping them out for an inferior tire right now would be a waste of money IMO (unless you need cold weather/snow tires).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Running uniroyal tiger paws A/S myself. Great tire they handle well in both dry and wet conditions recently did a little slush driving and they worked great. They are basically michelins made by them in the same plants using same compounds. At near half the cost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts