Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
{NOTE - the opinions expressed are just that... opinions. They are MY opinions after driving the subject car for a week around Las Vegas and Arizona}.

Wife and I went on vacation last week, and rented a convertible mustang for the week. Honestly, I was hoping to rent an Ecoboost convertible, but it ended up being a GT premium convertible. I don't care if this sounds crazy, but I prefer my 2017 ecoboost!!!! The convertible was nice, and I liked having the premium features (alas, I have a base ecoboost), but there were a few things that stood out.

1) Transmission hunting around and bumping into gear - The 10 speed transmission seemed to be constantly hunting for a gear, and at times would bump into the next gear. Is this an issue with a 25k mile rental, or something common in the 10 speed?

2) Aaah, The sound - Nothing like a Mustang GT sound! It's something we cant really replicate with a turbo 4. That said, I found the sound of the engine was at times louder than the actual speed I was traveling at... Hard to explain, but to hear a roaring engine while accelerating slowly through a parking garage seemed a liittle like overkill. This may be due to the abovementioned transmission issue.

3) Acceleration - The ecoboost seems to pull stronger from a stop than the GT. My car, with a Tune+ tune, seems a LOT more responsive than this convertible. More agile, and quicker.

Oddly, on a drive from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, we averaged 28 MPG! On roads with speed limits of 65 - 75 MPH (I am from Long Island NY, where we don't get above 55MPH limits, so forgive my excitement!).

GTs are cool, and I love the sound of a V8. However, the ecoboost is really something special. It's more responsive, handles better, and costs a LOT less. My next Mustang will be a convertible... an ECOBOOST Convetible!!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For those of you with convertibles... I noticed that when I put the top back up, the rear quarter windows did not align with the front windows. I had to pull them back into place. Is this normal?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I love EB convertibles too!

Mustang is my latest part - time/pleasure use "sports car". Our sports cars have always been convertibles (except for one 70s Vette T-top). Being able to ride in the open air - be it sunshine or moonlight - just makes every drive more fun compared to riding around in the enclosed SUV or truck. Sorta like riding the Harley, but way more comfortable with the benefit of top & heater if necessary. ( My age is really starting to show, I guess! :rolleyes:)

The Ecovert is not the most nimble car I've owned nor is it a classic 2 seater sports car. However, it does handle well and is plenty quick and entertaining when called upon. Moreover, it is roomy (comparatively speaking) and very comfortable with lots of convenience features and creature comforts. My wife and I love to cruise with the top down, whether it be a quick run for something to eat, exploring back roads, day trips to the coast, or thousand mile road trips . The Ecovert never disappoints......

·
Registered
614 Posts
I noticed that when I put the top back up, the rear quarter windows did not align with the front windows
This is a known issue. Most of us keep this from happening by lubricating the seals with a silicone based product every few months. My car never displayed this behavior, although I have been doing the silicone thing since it was about 3 months old. There have been a few posters here for whom it was an actual mechanical problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts