Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Total Ecoboost noob here (still have temp plates) but already threw the Roush intake on the car.
Great sound while accelerating and release but the sound actually seems to be the intake sucking out power.

At 50% throttle it feels fine but mashing it down, even for a few seconds, the car doesn't feel like it's pulling like it was with the stock intake.

Anyone have this setup and experience the same thing? I'm actually thinking of returning it to AM and getting a tuner instead.

Also, glad to join the Ecoboost club!

·
Super Moderator
6,130 Posts
There are many people who say (and have some data to back it up) that the stock box with a high flow filter (maybe changing the intake tube) has the best flow.

A couple of questions:
Was the Roush on it when you bought it? How long has it actually been on? as in miles.
Are you running 93 Octane fuel?

This car has been the most sensitive to fuel/octane of any I have ever owned. Without good fuel, the "brain" will pull timing, you'll see misfires, etc if you're monitoring parameters and you WILL notice the lack of performance.

It will take time for the car to learn the different airflow with the Roush intake.

Here's my suggestion. Run it with good gas for a couple of weeks (several hundred miles). Resist the urge to make any other changes, if it still feels boggy, swap the stock one back in and (using the same fuel) see if there is a difference. That would make up your mind about returning it.

Welcome to the madness!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Squid! Thanks for all the info!
There are many people who say (and have some data to back it up) that the stock box with a high flow filter (maybe changing the intake tube) has the best flow.
I've heard this too, and also that CAIs don't have as much effect in "cold air" because it gets compressed by the turbo in which the intercooler becomes important
A couple of questions:
Was the Roush on it when you bought it? How long has it actually been on? as in miles.
The car came stock when I drove it home and I put the Roush on it about 2 weeks ago. This probably equates to a couple hundred miles.
I didn't even think of running 93 since all the documentation stated to use 87. I also found this article that states EBs running 87 are missing out on 35 horses and 20 lb-ft TQ :eek:. Have yall seen this????
Next fill up will be premium for sure.
This car has been the most sensitive to fuel/octane of any I have ever owned. Without good fuel, the "brain" will pull timing, you'll see misfires, etc if you're monitoring parameters and you WILL notice the lack of performance.

It will take time for the car to learn the different airflow with the Roush intake.
Yeah I have no experience with these new "smart" cars that have to learn what's going on, coming from a nowhere near as smart 1997. I have also heard turbo vehicles are more picky with air/fuel

Here's my suggestion. Run it with good gas for a couple of weeks (several hundred miles). Resist the urge to make any other changes, if it still feels boggy, swap the stock one back in and (using the same fuel) see if there is a difference. That would make up your mind about returning it.

Welcome to the madness!
I like the idea of running it to see if the car figures it out but I'm just getting close to the 30 day return window so I'll have to log some miles quick!

·
Super Moderator
6,130 Posts
The car came stock when I drove it home and I put the Roush on it about 2 weeks ago. This probably equates to a couple hundred miles.
I didn't even think of running 93 since all the documentation stated to use 87. I also found this article that states EBs running 87 are missing out on 35 horses and 20 lb-ft TQ :eek:. Have yall seen this???? Next fill up will be premium for sure.
That is one of the many articles out there referencing the difference between 87 and 93. Believe me, you'll feel the difference.

I like the idea of running it to see if the car figures it out but I'm just getting close to the 30 day return window so I'll have to log some miles quick!
That decision will probably be just on the looks and sound. I believe that the gas change will increase your performance. If you'd rather have the tune than the CAI, then I would recommend doing it. The car should have learned the CAI in a couple of hundred miles, especially if you drive it with spirit (which you do). :D

·
Registered
408 Posts
Can confirm (Ford has in the past as well) that running 91-93 octane is a noticeable performance improvement in the ecoboost, both in power numbers and fuel efficiency. Mine only got the stock tank of 87 when I bought it, it's had 91-93 since (Can't get 93 here in SoCal).

·
Registered
24 Posts

A couple of questions:

Welcome to the madness!
Hey I have a question... Is there any advantage to venting the blow off to the air, vs back into the intake tube ????

·
Super Moderator
6,130 Posts
Hey I have a question... Is there any advantage to venting the blow off to the air, vs back into the intake tube ????
It's all in the sound. See my response in the other thread.
In the case of an "open" CAI (like the JLT or Roush) the sound is more apparent than the stock or AiRaid units. However it doesn't make any difference performance-wise which way you want to go.
The Boomba unit is very popular because of this.

Reactions: DannyO62

·
Registered
30 Posts
I too have had the Roush CAI Performance Pac Level 1 (also required a Tune from Ford) installed on my 17 Ecoboost and I’m kinda getting the same results as robtee. I giggle at the sound that it creates now but it does appear to be coming from the left side of engine compartment than the right side where the POV and Turbo are located. And......I’ve done two 0 - 60 pulls and I’m getting higher times than “advertised” by Ford (5.5 - 5.8 secs). I’ve had it in for approximately 1 month and run only Premium Fuel. I’m sure I’ve put a couple hundred miles on it so far so now I’m kinda questioning this purchase, not that I’m considering changing anything but is it accurate. Roush claims +50 RWHP so my thinking is it should me Hella faster.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had the full Cobb stage 3 setup running 93 octane and Cobb OTS map. Swapped the stock intake back in with a AEM panel filter as part of the recommended hardware changes for getting a Pro e-tune and I immediately noticed a very significant increase in both response and power across the band while still using the Cobb OTS stage 3 93octane map!. Also, I know most like the aftermarket intake "whoosh", but personally I had more than enough of it...reminds me too much of vacuuming and having household chores I should be doing instead of having fun driving LOL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can confirm (Ford has in the past as well) that running 91-93 octane is a noticeable performance improvement in the ecoboost, both in power numbers and fuel efficiency. Mine only got the stock tank of 87 when I bought it, it's had 91-93 since (Can't get 93 here in SoCal).
I run 93 always and have used the octane booster from STP along with SCT FX4 93 Tune. I needed to borrow my mothers truck and let her take the stang. She didnt know(I didnt know she was taking for the weekend) that she had to run 93. I got it back and my asshole puckered. I thought something was terribly wrong. Its that noticeably different between the two gasses.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I ran the Roush CAI on my 2015 for 2 years. I experienced some loss of power with it initially. Turns out, the opening wasn't sealing well with the hood and was allowing hot engine compartment air into the intake. Once I changed to a Cervinis Ram Air Hood with the ductwork, and modified it to seal, the problem was gone and it was definitely better than stock. That being said, I'm not a fan of the CAI's with the open tops because its so hard to verify having a good seal with the hood.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts