Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,207 Posts
Yep, turn off advancetrack, or the stability control will kick in and mess with your run.

Reactions: bidaci

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah I missed that switch. LOL. Couldn't figure out why it felt soft running through the Chicago box. No doubt it was the stability nanny

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Silly season down here in Florida is short. First event for me is the 25th. I'm glad to have had a little down time to figure out what I want to do this year. I've decided to stay in DS for now and work on driving what I have. It's too easy to get into throwing money at mods without learning the full potential of a car and I've never done well when I do that.

Truth be told I only have about 6000 miles on the car and have at least 5 different build plans I've written. Not a great way to develop a car. DS will curb that a bit. Early registration has a BRZ in class already and I hope more will join. If DS doesn't have the numbers I'll jump into CAM to play as I find the boundaries of the car (hate racing against myself). My intentions are to eventually go into CAM with a full daily driver build. I want this car to be able to drive cross country, compete and drive back without any major changes. Yes it's a tall ask and will be a compromise in both areas but I believe very doable in this car.

Let the fun begin!

·
Super Moderator
3,207 Posts
Staying D Street legal is certainly a good choice if you have good competition in class in your area. As you progress, you'll find that tires may be the limiting factor more than anything else. the average street tire, while great for day to day driving, will be much slower than any good 200 treadwear autocross tire. Even if I hadn't made any other changes to my car, I would have gotten the replacement wheels so that I could put Bridgestone RE71Rs on the stockers for autocross duty. That and the trailer hitch and tire trailer are really my only specific buys for autocross. The only problem with getting dedicated autocross tires is the cost of good tires for a Mustang.

My mustang has been my daily driver for the past three years, so the first year I autocrossed, I ran on 320 treadwear street tires, and only got one year out of them because of it. The combination of regular autocross and daily driving wore them out fast.

The second year of autocross I got dedicated tires on the stock wheels, and since then I've been able to keep the same daily tires without having them wear out. I'll probably get another year out of the daily tires because of it. But...

The autocross tires wore out in two years, and the last half dozen events on them they were sketchy and down to the wear bars. Still, I can't recommend it highly enough to get a second set of wheels (make sure they're a stock size and offset) and dedicate a set of autocross tires to them. It's a huge help.

Be sure to post about your events, and if you can get video we'd love it!

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Oh zhent why must you do this to me LOL.

I've been struggling with a tire decision. When I lived in MA I would leave my RE71R on all race season. My only concern I doing this in FL is when it rains it rains. I have never seen pop up showers like I've experienced down here. So it would be a swap at the event type thing which I'm not srsbzns enough to even consider yet. Of course we all know that plans change and the bug that's bit us has strange results. The good thing is I'll wear out tires fast enough that if I don't like em I can get something else.

·
Super Moderator
3,207 Posts
Rain storms are another reason I recommend a separate set. I've had to drive on my RE71R once in a rain storm, and I hated it, they were super sketchy, but I didn't have a choice at the time. If you're willing to take that $1200/yr hit just for tires and can manage the rainy bits, the RE71Rs are great though.

Hitch and trailer...

I carried the 2nd set in the car for a full year and that truly sucked. No way was I doing a road trip like that, but I have considered it with the trailer.

Reactions: Kent and bidaci

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

So first event is in the books and the next one is only a couple weeks away. I did just ok as I had the "1st event, i forgot how to drive" thing going on. I had 4 in class, a Brz, an FRS and a FocusRS. Needless to say I got smoked by the FoRs (fully built to class) but held my own against the twins. I came in 2nd in DS and would have been 2nd in CamC as well (I like to keep tabs on CamC times).

I'm still trying to learn how to properly modulate the throttle in a turbo car. The way power is built is so different than what I am used to it's challenging for me.

And while I did manage to reign things in, there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Did I do the videos right?

·
Super Moderator
3,207 Posts
The Videos look great!

With my first event of the year today I figure I won't do exactly great, especially on a new alignment and with new tires. As long as fun is had and something is learned, it's always a great day.

Reactions: Nater Potater

·
Registered
570 Posts
If your class will allow it you can get a tune that addresses the transmission, the A10 is so much sweeter with a tune.

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yeah DS or any street class doesn't allow tunes but it's good to hear the a10 itself can be tuned. I'm trying to stay in street for now to curb my upgrade appetite. Once I move to Cam the sky is the limit and that in itself can be scary. :eek:

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Second event is in the books. While i did take first in front of 2 BRZs im having a strange feeling/phenomenon. It happened first event and again today. To keep it short and sweet. I launch the car and in the first or second element I lose the back end totally and loop out. I watched the footage and it appears that both times was when it was the first slowing element. It almost feels like the back gets pushed around. Not regular tail happiness.

Never felt it last year and at first I thought it was just the crap Pirelli zeros but I think it may be something else and I want others opinions.

I'm thinking that it may be fuel slosh causing this. Last year I ran a full tank in the few events I had. This year I have been trying a half tank or less. I've had cars that hated low tank or else and had really bad handling traits when low. Is the Mustang one of these cars? What level do you guys run? I don't have another race for 3 weeks and while I will be running a full tank for my own test I'm curious as to others experience.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,207 Posts
Interesting.

I usually ran about a 3/4 to a half tank of gas. My habit is to fill up the Friday before an event and because they're all a good drive from my house I burn off whatever it takes on the drive to the event. This almost always gives me enough left after to drive home before needing another fill up. Gas slosh in the tank can upset the balance. My thought would be less gas for the event is likely better, since gas weighs ~6lbs per gallon, a full tank puts more than 60 lbs back there where it may influence the rotation of the car.

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My thought would be less gas for the event is likely better, since gas weighs ~6lbs per gallon, a full tank puts more than 60 lbs back there where it may influence the rotation of the car.
My thoughts exactly. I guess ill see next event. Going to top it before the ride out...

·
Super Moderator
6,124 Posts
I top off at the station next to the event. I always run a full tank ... would rather carry around the #s instead of having it sloshing around. I have had issues on the track with pickup starvation when it gets below 1/2 as well.

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Still fighting with a slow speed spin. May be when the trans shifts hard into gear or when the boost peaks, I'm just not sure yet. I'm trying to figure out how to overlay data points to help me figure this out. I know the tires aren't great but this is obviously a sign that something is not happy.

Now it time to go back to the start. No fancy button pushing. No adjustments that the car itself doesn't want to make on it's on and then sneak up on each option and document the results.

Unfortunately, the next event is an autocross on a road course. I'm not great at them anyway as I'm not a fan of the blind corners and altitude changes.

Still having fun, still placing well, still want to do better. Isn't that the autocrossers credo?

·
Super Moderator
3,207 Posts

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
We were able to hold event this past weekend with limited participants.
So the May 17th event is in the books. No changes to the car yet, it is still 100% stock. Tried sneaking up on the car this time as the last few events I had trouble keeping the back end behind the front.

• This time I ran higher than normal tire pressures. The sidewalls on the Pirelli must be pretty soft.
  • Adjusted drive mode to track but did not turn off the advancetrac this time.
  • Steering mode on comfort for the extra power assist
  • Morning runs I let the A10 control the shifting
  • Afternoon runs I manually shifted into 3rd quickly and just left it there.
For the most part the electronics in the car are way smarter then I am. The advancetrac only kicked in when the car was in bad shape anyway. The ABS takes a lot to trip up and the steering is borderline to easy I'm comfort but very easy to flick through the slaloms. The only part the car had problems with is shifting in such a tight course. While it hasn't been a problem in the past this event it did not like so the manual shifting was better.

Next event is not the middle of June to see if my changes are a keeper or anomaly.

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I finally decided to swap the tires out and got some Continental Extreme Contact Sport in a 275/35r19. Love the tires so far as a dual purpose. Unfortunately for me everything I thought I knew about the car with the Pirellis get thrown out the window. The ECS is such a better tire for my liking. Better traction, better for rain, audible feedback and easier to control. The downside, the need a lot of pressure and there turn in isn't as crisp. Not a deal breaker for me as I like the way they react. Just be forwarded, it won't be for everyone.

We had out last event at the Florida International Rally & Motorsport Park. So not your typical autocross setup. In DS it was me and 3 of the twins. I ended up coming in 2nd after swapping back and forth with times for 1st.

This is my fastest run for the day. I had more time in it, but just before the slalom I dropped a tire into the dirt and got squirrelly and had to play catch up through the slalom.

I'm super pleased with how things felt and even the fact I came in second wasn't a buzz killer. Appears that I was beat by the one and only "Fast Phil" Currin.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Mustang 6MT HPP/HP
40 Posts
Hi Folks,
I have been driving the 2020 HPP/HP and now have 6K miles and 5 events. The first event I was on the P-zero corsa and was 49th in PAX. After I got the right lug nuts and got the 275/35/19 BFGs on the car I have been up to 16th out of 90 in the PAX. So I am learning the car better. I have a question.
1. Running during a 95F degree day the cylinder head temperature went up to around 210 and the fake oil temp gauge was just in the yellow. I want to put in Redline water wetter to keep the engine cooler. If I pull 12 ounces of coolant from the overflow tank and replace with water wetter, how long for the redline to get into the engine coolant flow?

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
While I'm not the definitive answer, I'll put in my 2 cents. Being an overflow is just there as a back up to allow expansion and contraction of your coolant I would guess it would take a long time to get in the system if at all.

Curious though, I'm in Florida with high temps and have never noticed and extreme temps. Granted I don't know the head temps I do have some questions.

What type of format do you run? Do you have downtimes between runs or are they almost back to back?

Do you turn the car off as soon as you get back to grid or do you let it idle?

Do you open the hood to let some heat escape at all?

The format that my region uses is there is very little time between runs. So little I usually leave the car running and often close the car up and run the AC to cool off. I do open the hood to let some heat escape but how helpful that is, is questionable. We run usually 6 to 7 runs split into morning and evening runs but have done 6 back to back at times. Runs are usually 45 to 65 seconds each.

Have you ever looked at the temps after sitting in stop and go traffic like in a traffic jam to see what they are? I can't imagine that a 60 second run would be any harder on temps then a traffic jam or spirited run.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts