Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Mustang 6MT HPP/HP
58 Posts
I have run the car as a two driver a couple of times in low humidity 90-95 degree days in N. California. About 50 second courses fast enough to hit the 2nd gear rev limiter and hold it for a couple of seconds. A couple of times the courses were long enough to shift to shift to third and I was faster when I did that. I still need more time in the car on course to evaluate when to short shift to third. I do not run the A/C but I open the hood and cool down the tires and IC with a water sprayer. I have seen the oil temp gauge go into the yellow a couple of times so I have added spraying the radiator down as well. Opening the hood lets out a lot of heat, even the hood prop is hot to the touch after a run.
After thinking about the water wetter I will put it in the better way.
1. Suck the coolant tank dry.
2. Add water wetter to the tank.
3. Drain the radiator until the water wetter is gone.
4. Add some of the coolant from step 1 to the tank.
5. Drain the radiator until the coolant from step 4 is gone form the tank..
6. Fill up the coolant tank. I have gallon of Ford yellow coolant from topping up my tank before.
The only other thing I can think of improving for D street is to remove the bumper cover and adjust the flap in front/over the IC and adjust the lip below the IC for better flow.

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I always advise driving a new/different car for a year to get the feel for it before throwing mods at it. It is surprising how much what you feel about the car will change in a year. Once you get used to the balance, power, etc and adjust how you drive you may find that your initial mind set may change. That's why the driver mod is one of the first upgrades people recommend.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
6,183 Posts
While I'm not the definitive answer, I'll put in my 2 cents. Being an overflow is just there as a back up to allow expansion and contraction of your coolant I would guess it would take a long time to get in the system if at all.
My experience with this. I sucked out the overflow tank, rinsed it and filled with distilled water. It was clear as clean water.
Did a track day (3 x 20 minute sessions) and looked, the tank was back to being coolant colored.
Repeated the flush and fill with distilled water (the tank only) and after another track day it was back to being coolant colored.
IMHO the fluid contained therein is exchanged with the rest of the system very regularly.

Reactions: zhent and bidaci

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
My experience with this. I sucked out the overflow tank, rinsed it and filled with distilled water. It was clear as clean water.
Did a track day (3 x 20 minute sessions) and looked, the tank was back to being coolant colored.
Repeated the flush and fill with distilled water (the tank only) and after another track day it was back to being coolant colored.
IMHO the fluid contained therein is exchanged with the rest of the system very regularly.
Good to know. Truly I am surprised. Just took a look and maybe that's why the tank is mounted so high. Also, it does say 21psi on the cap. Maybe they intended it to be an exchange tank and not your average overflow.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Mustang 6MT HPP/HP
58 Posts
Thank you very much Squid. Your observations saved me a bunch of time. Now I will just suck out enough to add the water wetter and go on a few hard drives.

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Another event in the books and another 1st place. Very happy with the ECS however I did find out they do get greasy with heat which kinda surprised me but not really. I got about 3 (60+ second) runs in and they needed spraying.

So here comes that damn rabbit hole opening up. My best clean run was just under 1.5 seconds off of 1st place CamC time. So the minds goes bing!!!!

What if:
Tune
Intercooler
Wider wheels and tires
Springs
Struts
Sway bars
A bit of aero
Weight reduction

Hmmm, is Cam in my future for next year?? What's a man to do.....LOL

And thanks to JG from Grassroots Motorsports for this shot.

·
Super Moderator
3,270 Posts
All of that and more is why I jumped to CAM a couple of years ago. These cars are competitive there, and it's fun beating the V8 guys.

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Since I have DS won for the year I thought I would start to play in CamC last weekend. Threw on a Mishimoto CAI and did some quick weight reduction and off I went to play. Only 4 in class and I came in 3rd. I have 1 more event left this year and I'm staying in CamC moving forward.

Here is a pic of my runs. Run 4 and 5 were my fastest and identical runs right down to the thousands.!! This only happens once in a lifetime. What a great opportunity to overlay two runs. Same day, same course, same conditions, same time. Could to ask for a better learning tool? Considering side by side what lines did what and how far ahead in what elements and maybe why. So even though I didn't do great in class I excitedly went to upload and compare the videos. NOPE... Nothing, 32 seconds of black and poof a everything else was gone.

First thing I need to do is get rid of the Mishimoto CAI. Easy to loud as a daily driver for me. I don't need to hear the air rushing in and the blow off valve popping. Good thing the stock inlet with a high flow filter will be just as good.

From there I'll continue to look at losing weight and upgrading the suspension. Not sure if I want springs first or sway bars. I need to mull that one over. I won't do both at once. Probably Steeda linear springs and a to be decided later sway bar setup.

Tune wise, probably Cobb but maybe FP. I don't plan on working about ringing a lot of power out of the car. I want reliability and drivability.

Then I will throw in a little bit of aero to clean things up and be back next year in a Cam thread.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts