Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update: Car has been fixed after replacing the Evap Purge Solenoid. Ordered off of Varsity Ford Parts, and has a dealer warranty.

Hey pals,
I started to notice whenever I fill up my ecoboost with premium, or just any type of gas it shakes. I’ve used Shell, switched to Chevron. Went from regular to premium. No change. After I start it up it does a 2-5 min gap in between and the air/fuel ratio gauge goes crazy. You can feel it shake the entire car. Any thoughts? Same issues?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sounds like classic ford evap purge solenoid failure.

There is a system in place to draw fuel vapor from the gas tank and feed it into the engine to keep gas fumes from getting into the atmosphere and contributing to smog, if it fails it can allow raw fuel to be pulled through the vapor lines or create a vacuum leak which messes up the air fuel ratio and makes the car run poorly.

Evap Purge Solenoid Part Number - FR3Z-9G297-H

The part is pretty cheap and simple to replace.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

There is a system in place to draw fuel vapor from the gas tank and feed it into the engine to keep gas fumes from getting into the atmosphere and contributing to smog, if it fails it can allow raw fuel to be pulled through the vapor lines or create a vacuum leak which messes up the air fuel ratio and makes the car run poorly.

Thank you, I’ll look into it!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Mine does that. I suspect it's 'cause I fill it too full. Hard habit to break, but it's the only way to properly keep mileage stats.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Mine does that. I suspect it's 'cause I fill it too full. Hard habit to break, but it's the only way to properly keep mileage stats.
Not really necessary. You'll never fill your tank to exactly the same level, even if you think you're doing so. You're also relying on a fuel pump gauge that also introduces some error into the equation (although I firmly believe they always round UP!). Stop pumping after it clicks off automatically and record the amount pumped, and over time, the law of averages will give you just as accurate numbers as you're getting now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m quite new to this forum I am having the same issue with my car rough idle and low air fuel mixture after I fill up and believe this is the culprit of it the problem is I’m running a blow off valve which requires I cut the hard plastic line that connects from this part to the throttle body and replace it with the rubber line from the blow off valve might this also be affecting the car in some way I have all the factory parts that I removed when doing this for a scenario like this would the BOV have anything to do with this or would it probably go away if I just replaced the part and went on to also install the blow off valve

·
Registered
2019 EcoBoost performance package
201 Posts
Thanks, I have been dealing with a shake that the dealer can't track down and nothing I have tried so far gets rid of it. Just ordered the part and will replace it. My car has over 60,000 miles on it so it could be this part is causing the issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2001 Ranger and if I manually "fill it to the top" after the pump shuts off automatically it will "jump and jerk" until some fuel burns off. I figured it has something to do with gasoline getting sucked into the evaporative emissions system.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Maybe it's just shivering from joy from getting fresh fuel?

·
Registered
412 Posts
It definitely sounds like the eval issue. Mine developed it after like 60k. Fixed under my extended warranty. Everything was good afterwards.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Overfilling the tank can cause the symptoms you describe, and it can also damage EVAP system parts. The valve already mentioned is designed to handle vapors, not raw fuel. If you overfill the tank raw fuel can get into the EVAP system and damage the valve. Over time, raw fuel can also damage the charcoal canister. As has already been mentioned, fill to the first click only. If you want to get accurate mileage figures make a spreadsheet and keep it in your phone. Update it with miles driven and fuel used every time you fill up. The owner's manual suggests a minimum of three tankfuls for an accurate average.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Overfilling the tank can cause the symptoms you describe, and it can also damage EVAP system parts. The valve already mentioned is designed to handle vapors, not raw fuel. If you overfill the tank raw fuel can get into the EVAP system and damage the valve. Over time, raw fuel can also render the charcoal canister. As has already been mentioned, fill to the first click only. If you want to get accurate mileage figures make a spreadsheet and keep it in your phone. Update it with miles driven and fuel used every time you fill up. The owner's manual suggests a minimum of three tankfuls for an accurate average.
This brings up an interesting point. I never fill past the auto cutoff when getting gas. So now I wonder how many who are having this issue actually add fuel past the first cutoff?

Reactions: AnOunceOfPerception

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey pals,
I started to notice whenever I fill up my ecoboost with premium, or just any type of gas it shakes. I’ve used Shell, switched to Chevron. Went from regular to premium. No change. After I start it up it does a 2-5 min gap in between and the air/fuel ratio gauge goes crazy. You can feel it shake the entire car. Any thoughts? Same issues?
my veh does the same thing but I bounce back and forth from shell 93 oct and Sunoco 93 oct and never fill it up maybe 3/4 of a tank at most.I feel like its re'adjusting to the new fuel/octane... it only does it after a 1/4 mile of driving and I stop at the light.. after that it never does it again till I put fuel in again...

·
Registered
901 Posts
I used to top off vehicles, now I don’t. When the pump handle shuts off, that’s it, for both the Mustang and the Rogue. EVAP parts may not b3 overly expensive but who needs the hassle of replacing stuff needlessly in the search for a few more miles out of a tank.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Normally I let the gas stop at the first shut-off, but occasionally if I'm topping off before crossing the border into Canada I'll give it a few seconds to settle down, then one more slow squeeze until it shuts off again. (Canadian gas is expensive.) No issues so far. I'm also getting good at coasting back to the USA with fumes in the tank.

Reactions: Go Further

·
Registered
33 Posts

Just a note I did replace the part and it still does the little shake after I put some fuel in but it only does it once at the same light I sit at. No codes no issues I still think in my mind it’s checking the fuel octane

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m quite new to this forum I am having the same issue with my car rough idle and low air fuel mixture after I fill up and believe this is the culprit of it the problem is I’m running a blow off valve which requires I cut the hard plastic line that connects from this part to the throttle body and replace it with the rubber line from the blow off valve might this also be affecting the car in some way I have all the factory parts that I removed when doing this for a scenario like this would the BOV have anything to do with this or would it probably go away if I just replaced the part and went on to also install the blow off valve
Hey!! Sorry for the over a year late response. I have a blow off valve too. I never fixed it until it threw a few codes this year. I replaced this part Evap Purge Solenoid Part Number - FR3Z-9G297-H and it stopped the shaking 😊

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey! Yes I did. It ended up throwing a few codes down the line. Replaced it with this part, Evap Purge Solenoid Part Number - FR3Z-9G297-H
Sorry did not mention, it stopped the shaking. My codes never came back.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts