Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I had another thread on here regarding engine misfire codes. Diagnosis back from the Dealer service department is that they are going to replace the short block. They found coolant in the cylinders, and said they would be covering the short block under warranty. I have heard others on here with similar issues, but they seem to have had long block replacements. Should I be pushing the Dealer and Ford for a complete engine replacement?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
As much as it would be nice to get a new cylinder head (a long block is not a complete engine) if the source of the leak is in the block there is no technical reason to do a long block.

Certainly would be a fair question to ask the dealer why not a long block. But you have to remember Fords only obligation is to repair the defect.

Dave

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
So I had another thread on here regarding engine misfire codes. Diagnosis back form the Dealer service department is that they are going to replace the short block. They found coolant in the cylinders, and said they would be covering the short block under warranty. I have heard others on here with similar issues, but they seem to have had long block replacements. Should I be pushing the Dealer and Ford for a complete engine replacement?
Have they given you a determination as to WHAT is causing the leak?? I mean, it could be as simple as a blown gasket?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Service Advisor called to update me on the misfire codes, said the tech ran a bore scope down the spark plug hole, found coolant and recommended a short block replacement. Maybe he saw a cracked cylinder? Short blocks are on backorder, so he is calling ford in the AM and ordering a long block instead. Said that since it is a supply issue Ford will ok it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I asked if they could tell me the cause, head gasket, cracked block, whatever. Not able to, but now I am thinking of going to a gt. I wonder how many of these 4 cyl problems exist.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
So I asked if they could tell me the cause, head gasket, cracked block, whatever. Not able to, but now I am thinking of going to a gt. I wonder how many of these 4 cyl problems exist.
The Coyote engine in the GT is not without its issues too. They have a reputation of eating their oil pump gears which sends metal fragments through the engine requiring a total tear down and cleaning. They are also famous for ticking which is caused by excessive piston to cylinder clearance.

Considering the number of 2.3 Ecoboost motors out in the wild you don't hear much bad about them. Besides the Mustang, the engine is used in the Lincoln MKC, Ford Explorer, Focus RS, Ranger, soon in the new Bronco, and several other European Ford products.

Dave

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So apparently a short block showed up on Saturday, so even though the Long Block showed up On Thursday, I get a call from the Service Advisor today saying that since the short block they originally ordered showed up, they have to use the short block. I am a bit suspect that they are actually just doing this because the short block allows more hours to be billed to Ford. Thinking of escalating this, as well as making sure that they are able to diagnose what caused the problem to begin with. Service Advisor is also telling me that the block has been redesigned to prevent cylinder wall cracks. Anyone else hear of this?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I got the car back yesterday, and so far no misfire codes. Glad to be out of the Fusion Hybrid! I will attach pictures of the old and new block. I can't see a huge difference in the design, although the top seems to have some sort of score mark in-between each cylinder, while they are absent on the new block. The new block seems to also have a small hole between cylinders that is absent from the old block. Also, is it me, or do those piston heads and cylinder heads seem to have a lot of carbon buildup for only 15,000 miles? One last thing, the tech said he replaced the spark plugs even though it was only a short block replacement since the plugs were heat cracked.

·
Registered
237 Posts
What??? The Fusion Hybrid is A GREAT car!! Seriously, it's my daily. Love it! Glad you got your real car back, though. Nice to think that the mileage on the engine internals has basically been reset to 0. Remember to go through your break-in again... Enjoy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts