Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Setup my OBD fusion today and saw some concerning numbers around knock especially on cyl 4 . Car runs only 93 since I've had it and I changed plugs today. Should I run a reset on something? Car goes in for the Ford tune next week, if it needs work I'd like to know now. No engine codes and the count didn't go up on a short drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
I would certainly keep an eye on it.
Cylinder 4 does not look good.
Hopefully the Ford tune, might fix that.

·
Registered
836 Posts
So I had permenant knock, I bought a device that I was able to reset the knock count and it never came back and ran so much better! It didn’t trip a cel

I believe I got it when I was going back and fourth between ford perf andCobb

it’sthis... so.. youcould buy it anduse it and return it after resetting. I kept mine because I find it awesome for resetting kam/all engine codes I had
AUTOPHIX OBD2 Scanner Code Reader for Ford Lincoin Mercury,7150 Full Systems Diagnostic Scanner Tool with Engine ABS SRS SAS BMS EPB TPMS Transmission DPF Regen Oil Reset for Ford All Car After 1991 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q6HWY6C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_m6q-Fb483VM0T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did you check your gap? Unless you purchased from someone who specifically (not sparkplug manufacturers but someone like tune+ pd panda ect) set the gap you absolutely could have a bad off gapped plug on #4

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn’t check gap on the old plugs, but the new ones I gapped myself to .028 (one range colder iridium). thinking I might do a KAM reset this weekend and see if it comes back, but I don’t know if the new tune will reset KAM anyway when it gets it installed. Pointless to do it twice within a few days I would think. Thoughts?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Clear engine and all dtcs first then do kam. I did kam first and the knock was still there

but I did the code removes, then kam and was golden

Igot ton of codes from flashing back and fourth.

·
Registered
836 Posts
The device listed fixed my car and also another friends car imo it’s worth keeping if it fixes your issues entirely

I’dhook up after ford perf to make sure everything was still cleared

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can do the reset without a device. Just unhook both cables from the battery and touch both cables together for atleast 5 minutes. This drains all the memory storage capacitors thus fully resetting the computer. The only downside is it will reset everything in the whole car not just the KAM.

·
Registered
836 Posts
You can do the reset without a device. Just unhook both cables from the battery and touch both cables together for atleast 5 minutes. This drains all the memory storage capacitors thus fully resetting the computer. The only downside is it will reset everything in the whole car not just the KAM.
nope. I did this about a dozen times, I made a thread here, even left them disconnected a few days
My kam would never reset

no big deal, bought the little tool linked and fixed for me. Don’t know why I couldn’t reset kam.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I did both, I lost my fm channels, but the knocks was not disappearing, ie. it wasn't resetting the knocks,

the tool removed the knocks fully, and like 40 DTC/engine issues I had that never tripped engine light.

it was like "Module failed to connect" etc. all happened from flashing process. I removed them all, then reset KAM using that device, and bam! its been 0 ever since.

I had 4 knocks on two cylinders, after I got them back to 0. the new normal, felt like my old sport mode. MAJRO DIFFERENCE>

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So I'm pleased to say that using forscan and the OBD cable connector allows you to reset KAM and thus clear knock counts etc! In Service select "reset adaptive learning" and follow the instructions. Worked like a dream and now it's just a matter of letting it relearn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
836 Posts
Good to hear. I still like having the device I posted. Goes on sale for 69 bucks

check make sure there’s no dtc’s and clear all the codes if so

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will for sure. I'm going in tomorrow for my FP tune install at 10AM, so I'll be keeping an eye on it pretty closely.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whelp , tune is in. OAR running at -.91 right now, but only have about 30 miles on the tune. zero knock, but the car did stumble a little in a couple of places. Hoping that will smooth out as the tune breaks in.

·
Registered
836 Posts
it will. it takes awhile to get to -1, but that doesn't mean the fuel trims are learned yet. you will learn for awhile, more highway and city driving and stop and goes, it'll fix those sputters

·
Registered
80 Posts
Whelp , tune is in. OAR running at -.91 right now, but only have about 30 miles on the tune. zero knock, but the car did stumble a little in a couple of places. Hoping that will smooth out as the tune breaks in.
It took me around 300 miles then it was like boom! On!

Seems everyone has a different time scale with the FP tune.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to hear that, thus far i am ... underwhelmed

1 - 20 of 29 Posts