Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a good deal on Ford Performance camshafts on AM and was thinking of getting them, but I was wondering if I should upgrade my fuel system first. I've just about fully upgraded my air and cooling system except for a radiator, fans, and oil cooler. I asked my dad about it and he suggested upgrading the fuel injectors and such before hand, but I thought maybe you folks could help given the cams are only $187 and I don't even know where to start with the fuel system. Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
168 Posts
You stated you upgraded your cooling system except the radiator, fans and oil cooler? WTF did you upgrade then?
You want to change the camshafts but have you upgraded your Intercooler? ( no the two aren’t related, it’s a priority thing)
Before you upgrade your fuel rails you need to want to be pushing +400 HP to make the cost worth it or even necessary.
Im not trying to be a dick but you need to do some more research on how to build your car and what type of driving/racing you are going to do with it.
There are tons of stuff they sell for this platform of vehicle and a lot of it does nothing to add HP, Torque or handling. (Or not worth spending $$$ on it if the gains are nominal)
And just when you get it all figured out you need to stop. The car. So upgrading brakes must be on the list as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The fuel system is good to about 400 whp, stock cams are good to around 550 whp. Even at that, I believe the HPFP is the limiting factor before the injectors, each will run you about $1500 to upgrade, so upgrading these isn't cheap. If you're adding a port injection system instead of upgrading the DI parts, then you're looking at around $1200-1500 instead. In either case, if you upgrade the fuel system you're going to need a custom tune.

As mentioned by Vicr, you didn't list an intercooler, so I'm guessing your're on the stock turbo too. Before you think about upgrading the fuel system or cams, you should upgrade your intercooler, downpipe, custom tune, DV/BOV, probably charge pipes, and probably turbo. And if you're at that level, you should think about upgrading the block as well because the stock 2.3 block is now at it's limit.

Reactions: Vicr

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuel system is good to about 400 whp, stock cams are good to around 550 whp. Even at that, I believe the HPFP is the limiting factor before the injectors, each will run you about $1500 to upgrade, so upgrading these isn't cheap. If you're adding a port injection system instead of upgrading the DI parts, then you're looking at around $1200-1500 instead. In either case, if you upgrade the fuel system you're going to need a custom tune.

As mentioned by Vicr, you didn't list an intercooler, so I'm guessing your're on the stock turbo too. Before you think about upgrading the fuel system or cams, you should upgrade your intercooler, downpipe, custom tune, DV/BOV, probably charge pipes, and probably turbo. And if you're at that level, you should think about upgrading the block as well because the stock 2.3 block is now at it's limit.
So far I've upgraded the intercooler and charge pipes, BOV, CAI, exhaust, and will be installing my downpipe here soon all with BAMA tunes as I go along. I guess I should've listed everything, my bad. I do plan to get a proper Dyno tune sometime in the near future, I just haven't been sure at what point would that be a worth while investment for me. I've just been getting what I can when I can in no particular order since it's my daily I don't plan to track it too hard, just the occasional track day when things open up again. I am on the stock turbo and fans and a radiator are on my list. This is the first car I've been able to actually modify so in kind of learning as I go. I certainly appreciate the advice from you and vicr, it's the reason I come here.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Most of us here would not go with the Bama tuner. It’s now kind of a dinosaur like me. You can get a great custom tune from PD or Tune+ (both use COBB). I’m still in my build phase, doing IRS and front steering, then brakes then a custom tune. I have the Ford Premium warranty so I’m not in a big rush to get to the tune but with all the $$$$ I’ve spent now I don’t care. If I blow the motor on the track (road) I’ll go for a built 2.0 and bigger turbo. Fortunately for me the car is not a DD just an expensive hobby. Good luck with your build and wait for the $$ and buy the best parts first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ye
Most of us here would not go with the Bama tuner. It’s now kind of a dinosaur like me. You can get a great custom tune from PD or Tune+ (both use COBB). I’m still in my build phase, doing IRS and front steering, then brakes then a custom tune. I have the Ford Premium warranty so I’m not in a big rush to get to the tune but with all the $$$$ I’ve spent now I don’t care. If I blow the motor on the track (road) I’ll go for a built 2.0 and bigger turbo. Fortunately for me the car is not a DD just an expensive hobby. Good luck with your build and wait for the $$ and buy the best parts first.
Yeah, the main reason I went for the BAMA X4 was for the free tunes for life. Figured I'd use it to get the parts installed and keep my motor healthy and error code free then do a Dyno when I was further along. I'll give those other guys a look though. How much do they charge for tunes?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bama is the issue not the SCT unit

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If you look around you will find more tuners working with the SCT platform than Cobb. Three that come to mind are Unleashed, Lund and Steeda. You will find that tuning houses that specialize in American iron will mostly be on the SCT or HP Tuners platform. Those using Cobb come from the import world.

BAMA private labels the SCT hand held devices.

Dave

·
Registered
253 Posts
Bama is chitttttt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts