Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah maybe the keyless nature, my pickup fob is half the size. I keep both on same ring and it’s kinda big in the pocket, even if by itself. Was hoping after market might address this.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mustang is a trophy that's why FOB is bigger just look at any trophy car the FOBs are huge for vanity placement in front of others.

I've seen a few high dollar car FOBs that are 50 % bigger than ours LOL....in the front pocket makes man more appealing to folks who like big FOBs haha.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agreed it's too big. I had them program 4 fobs for me. I cut one apart and one of my unfinished projects is a 3D printed smaller fob to contain the pcb and battery only (no physical key) and block the buttons I never use, but that get activated in my pocket far too often. It'll be thinner, but not a whole lot smaller. Initial prototypes are in the shape of a flattened, widened, Mustang, of course :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very good! Now I'm wondering if the older, smaller ones could be compatible, in a 2018-on. That smaller size (to me) is much more desirable. And IIRC, they could be completely disassembled without destructive cutting as well.

If the OP tries and succeeds in getting the older fobs programmed on the newer fobbed cars, please let us know!

·
Registered
162 Posts
hey guys, so ford could not program the new keyfobs to the escape. They also stated that the older fobs could not be programmed to the new er cars.
I think it has something to do with frequency.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the followup! I'm sort of confused again, though. You (and the dealer) did successfully program a larger 18-on fob on a vehicle that came with the smaller fob, which I assumed was a 15-17 Mustang?

What year Escape could they not program the newer larger fob to? Could not, or did they even try? I am wondering if the technician was going "by the book" and didn't want to waste time experimenting, or really knew it wouldn't work...

·
Registered
162 Posts
So I bought 2 fobs like the ones I have on my 17 mustang. currently i use a fob from a 2018+ mustang
What i think happened is that i got one with the wrong frequency or the guy they contract couldn't
i plan to take the fobs to another dealer when i am back in PA and see what they say.
If it doesn't work I'll just get the one identical to the current one for the escape and see if the two i have can be programmed to the mustang.
I'll see what they say.
I remember when i was researching the newer fobs for my mustang i needed a fob with the same frequency and this time around i forgot to look for that. I've had the 18+ fob for over 3 years now
The dealership told me that the fobs are for a f150 based on the part number but i really should have looked at the frequency before i got it

·
Registered
162 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts