Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
OEM rim.jpg View attachment 23975 UP520 rim.jpg UP520 tire size.jpg
I found a set of Ultimate Performance 520 rims with snow tires on Facebook marketplace for a good price. They came off a 2015 GT that the gentleman used for 3 years, so the tread was pretty rough but the rims are perfect. I plan on using these rims and new snow tires for my 2016 EB Convertible.

I just realized that the aftermarket rims have 245/45/19 snow tires. My stock rims are 255/40/19's.

My questions are? Forgive me if these questions are obvious.

Can I use the stock size on these rims?
Are the GT rims larger 19's than the EB (maybe 19.5) ?
of the two sizes which would be better for the snow?

I attached some photos in case you would like to see them.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
There is no 19.5 rims for the Mustang that I am aware of and the two two sizes are close enough that they should interchange without issue.

For arctic applications where you want the tire to ride on top of the snow you would want a big fat pillowy tire like you see on monster trucks.
For street applications where you want the tread to cut through the snow to get to the road surface you would want a tire with a narrow tread and tall sidewall

All of the tires that fit the S550 mustang are wide and low making them not fit into either of the two categories but generally you would want the taller, narrower snow tire.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am also working on getting a set of snow tires....

Look on Ebay for a set of 17" factory wheels. I picked up a set for $400. The tires that fit these wheels (235-55-17) would be better in the snow than the wider 19" diameters...and cheaper by roughly $100 a tire.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, kind of committed to the 19's since I just bought them .

So either size tire would fit the mustang?

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
Will they fit. sure. Would need to run the size through a calculator to see if your speedo will be off (if the overall circumference is different, the rotations will be different)

245/45R19 require a 7.5" to 9" wheel. Revs/Mile : 729
255/40R19 require a 19" x 8.5-10" wheel. Revs/Mile : 746

There is a difference in speedo readings (by revs/mile) but they'll both fit on a 9" wheel which is what most are.

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
You're welcome. I'd go with a slightly narrower for the winter, but that is just me and my winter WX conditions here in TX.

You guys up in the North know much better about winters than do I. :)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
All of the tires that fit the S550 mustang are wide and low making them not fit into either of the two categories but generally you would want the taller, narrower snow tire.
I have 255/40-19 winter tires for my 17 Ecoboost Mustang. I had 225/55-18 winter tires for my 15 Ecoboost Mustang. The 255/40 tires work every bit as good in snow and slush as the 225/55 tires did. Both were categorized as studless ice and snow tires.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
2,966 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I run Blizzaks on all 4 corners in the winter, 255/35R19.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've had Blizzaks in the past...great tires. Going to get the WS80's for the 17" wheels I just picked up. I like the look of the 19's better...just didn't like how much more the tires cost.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am also working on getting a set of snow tires....

Look on Ebay for a set of 17" factory wheels. I picked up a set for $400. The tires that fit these wheels (235-55-17) would be better in the snow than the wider 19" diameters...and cheaper by roughly $100 a tire.
Sheesh I cant even sell my 2003 GT wheels for $250. But they may end up on my 67 now, but if not it looks like I need to go sell them on the Ebays..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the good info. I purchased my rims on Facebook Marketplace for $375.00. Found some good deals on Market place ,

·
Registered
1 Posts
WOW its incredible how all these "car enthusiasts" have no idea what they are talking about usually if you do not know and you are unsure its best to keep silent. yes those tires will be fine and ignore the 5 replies before my reply and after your post. 235/55/19 is an SUV tire. 245/45/19 is taller than 255/40/19 and the tires the wheels you purchased have will work just fine.......there is no such wheel "19.5": for a mustang only tow trucks and big riggs...nice wheels enjoy

Hello Everyone,
View attachment 23973 View attachment 23975 View attachment 23979
I found a set of Ultimate Performance 520 rims with snow tires on Facebook marketplace for a good price. They came off a 2015 GT that the gentleman used for 3 years, so the tread was pretty rough but the rims are perfect. I plan on using these rims and new snow tires for my 2016 EB Convertible.

I just realized that the aftermarket rims have 245/45/19 snow tires. My stock rims are 255/40/19's.

My questions are? Forgive me if these questions are obvious.

Can I use the stock size on these rims?
Are the GT rims larger 19's than the EB (maybe 19.5) ?
of the two sizes which would be better for the snow?

I attached some photos in case you would like to see them.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
196 Posts
WOW its incredible how all these "car enthusiasts" have no idea what they are talking about usually if you do not know and you are unsure its best to keep silent. yes those tires will be fine and ignore the 5 replies before my reply and after your post. 235/55/19 is an SUV tire. 245/45/19 is taller than 255/40/19 and the tires the wheels you purchased have will work just fine.......there is no such wheel "19.5": for a mustang only tow trucks and big riggs...nice wheels enjoy
Welcome... I hope you joined to do more than critique a thread from a year and a half ago! Tell us about your car. :p

·
Super Moderator
2,966 Posts
This is an interesting spot to do a first post. Feel free to provide a dissenting opinion on anything posted here, but if you're here to show how superior you are to the rest of us "car enthusiasts" you will have a short stay. This will be your only warning.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts