Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was messing with the different drive modes on my 2016 Ecoboost and I ended up driving on the wet/snow mode for about 15-20 miles. At the end I was given a 32 mpg average as opposed to my 23 mpg in sport mode. Could I view the wet/snow mode as an “eco” mode or a gas saver? (I have a stick shift btw)

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
It dulls acceleration so when you mash the accelerator, it accelerates slower, which is more fuel efficient.

Basically its making your right foot lighter, less hard acceleration which is good for fuel economy.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Engine power is also cut by the ECU in "Wet & Snow" mode.
So yes it saves fuel.
In this respect, it works in a similar way to the Cobb 5-slot positions you can select with the cruise control buttons, if you get an OTS tune, where power is cut as you progress from slot 1 to 5.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Definitely dulls the throttle response and maybe gives you better fuel economy. Presumably when driving in sport the roads are dry, so you are more likely to put the spurs to her, whereas in wet/snow, if you’re in that configuration due to the elements, likely to drive a little more lightly. On dry roads, not likely, as you will just give the throttle input which results in the engine response that you are looking for. I only ever use wet/snow for actual snow. In the wet I use D, which I find wholly controllable.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
After 5 years of winter driving using Wet/Snow mode if the roads are dry and you have traction the engine makes as much power as it does in any other driving mode.
Dave
Put your car on a dyno in Wet/Snow mode compared to Normal mode and you will see a difference. :)

Reactions: AnOunceOfPerception

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Put your car on a dyno in Wet/Snow mode compared to Normal mode and you will see a difference. :)
Nope, Wet/Snow mode reduces throttle response, meaning in the first 1/2 of throttle pedal movement the throttle blades open less but by full throttle the throttle blades are fully open. It also makes the traction control and stability control much more aggressive. If you are on a slippery surface it will reduce power to maintain traction. But on dry pavement it makes the same power as all the other driving modes.

I have over 70k miles driving Ecoboost Mustangs and as previously stated 5 winters of using Wet/Snow mode. If there is no loss of traction the car will accelerate just as hard in Wet/Snow as it does in Track, Sport+ or Normal mode.

Dave

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's been a few months so I don't remember the exact numbers but I tried it while driving one night. Mostly highway for about 25-30 miles. I reset the average MPG then selected Wet/Snow mode. I saw 36 or 37 MPG when I got home. That's the highest that I've seen. There has been a couple times when I accidentally selected that mode. I thought there was something wrong with the car when I went to accelerate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.