Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I went ahead today at dealership and ordered that Spare Tire Kit FR3Z-1K007=C. When the kit arrives I will have dealership try it on the wheel. If no fit then get a credit for the purchase. I also went ahead and purchased the wheel lock nut kit. Total for all of this stuff was $321
Here is a photo, installed in the spare tire well, I am not sure if the kit contains this wheel now.

100_0404.jpg

·
Registered
273 Posts
The kit I bought last year has a black wheel. And Ford was even close to being the first to do this, my buddy bought his daughter a new Honda 2014 Civic ex, he paid over $22,000.00 for that little car. We were at work one day and he comes and tells me he's gotta leave for awhile, his daughter had a flat just a few miles from where we worked and he was going to change it out. He was gone four hours, the Honda just had a can of fix a flat in the trunk so he ran the flat tire over to a dealer in a fit of frustration (which is where he bought the car) raised hell with them for not putting a tire in it, they told him that Honda had quit putting spare tires in their cars, they were extra or you had to buy it through the parts dept., but it did have a jack in the truck!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Here is a photo, installed in the spare tire well, I am not sure if the kit contains this wheel now.

View attachment 23885
thanks for the photo. I'll send photo of kit wheel and tire when I get it (10 days or so). My primary concern though is that this will be OK to mount spare on the wheel hub. I gambled a bit when I purchased the kit because of the non reply from Ford as to "is this kit compatible with a 2018 ecoboost that has 19 inch tires. I cannot figure out why Ford doesn't take ownership of this issue.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The kit I bought last year has a black wheel. And Ford was even close to being the first to do this, my buddy bought his daughter a new Honda 2014 Civic ex, he paid over $22,000.00 for that little car. We were at work one day and he comes and tells me he's gotta leave for awhile, his daughter had a flat just a few miles from where we worked and he was going to change it out. He was gone four hours, the Honda just had a can of fix a flat in the trunk so he ran the flat tire over to a dealer in a fit of frustration (which is where he bought the car) raised hell with them for not putting a tire in it, they told him that Honda had quit putting spare tires in their cars, they were extra or you had to buy it through the parts dept., but it did have a jack in the truck!
Ford Fusion doesn't come with a spare. Taurus does. There is another Ford model that does come with a spare, cannot come up with the model name now though. Current Mustangs don't. Don't know when Ford started this but the 2013 Mustang GT that I traded had one. THE INTERESTING PART IS THAT THE DEALERSHIPS ARE PROBABLY NOT TELLING PROSPECTIVE BUYERS "DON'T LOOK IN THE TRUNK" WHEN TEST DRIVING THE VEHICLE.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's been 20 years or more since I have had a blow out that required a spare. Every other flat has been a nail that cause a leak in which case the can of goop in the trunk works just fine to get you to a garage for a proper repair.

Dave
Unfortunately my experience although only happened twice, both times it was the wall so no gunk would have helped. Sods law, my next will be the wall as well.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I cannot figure out why Ford doesn't take ownership of this issue.
What issue?

It is clearly listed in the broucher that it comes with an inflator kit and the spare tire is clearly listed as an option. It also tells you which tire and wheel option the spare fits.

The only issue I see is people don't do proper research before making a purchase.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,315 Posts
Spare tire threads merged.

·
Registered
449 Posts
What issue?

It is clearly listed in the broucher that it comes with an inflator kit and the spare tire is clearly listed as an option. It also tells you which tire and wheel option the spare fits.

The only issue I see is people don't do proper research before making a purchase.

Dave
You are correct that I did not do sufficient research before purchase. Must have been noted in the fine print. The "issue" is that if the tire has a sidewall rupture, only option is to call tow truck. I guess I will have to check that brochure, after the fact that is.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ok so I have bitten the bullet and bought the ford spare as I am going on a road trip and don’t want to get caught out.

So £189 for the wheel, £95 for the tyre and £10 for fitting. Around $370

Bye bye to my wheel spacers for a while.

:(

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ok so I have bitten the bullet and bought the ford spare as I am going on a road trip and don’t want to get caught out.

Glad to hear it. I am waiting for my spare kit and wheel locks to arrive at dealership. Wheel spacers??

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

You couldn't get the kit? The kits in the us include the wheel with tire mounted, a jack, a tire iron for removing the lug nuts and the brackets for mounting everything in the well.

Dave

·
Registered
321 Posts
You couldn't get the kit? The kits in the us include the wheel with tire mounted, a jack, a tire iron for removing the lug nuts and the brackets for mounting everything in the well.

Dave
No for some obscure reason fords dont supply the kit here. I could have gotten one of eBay but did not need the jack etc, as I already have.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I was lucky, mine had the spare tire option.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mine also came with the Spare Tire Option, which is a good thing. The wife ran over something in her SHO (which did not come with a spare tire kit). I used the jack out of the Mustang to jack up her SHO to remove the front tire and a floor jack to raise the rear tire so that I could remove it. Yep, that's right both passenger side tires were flat.

I think it's time to buy a jack, 4-way lug wrench and spare tire/wheel for the SHO. Down side is that the spare tire well won't house a 20" tire/wheel which means that part of the trunk space will be sacrificed for peace of mind.

Wonder how many owners of Ford vehicles are aware that the tire sealant that comes with the fix a flat compressor has a shelf life for service?

·
Registered
149 Posts
On the Mustang the car tells you when it expired just like it tells you to change the oil.
Dave
Come to think of it, I vaguely recall seeing that notification come up awhile back on the SHO and then cleared the message thinking "I'll get around to it".

·
Registered
861 Posts
81 - 100 of 118 Posts