Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ordered the spare kit from Ford dealer and they matched the online price I found for $199. Mine is black wheel with the jack and lug wrench included. I tested it and changed out a front tire with no issues. Good to go now.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I ordered the spare kit from Ford dealer and they matched the online price I found for $199. Mine is black wheel with the jack and lug wrench included. I tested it and changed out a front tire with no issues. Good to go now.
Thanks Eduson2018 for your follow up post. I am glad that you have done the work for me, testing the kit that is. Still waiting for mine to arrive. Someone is paddling a canoe across the Pacific to get it to Hawaii. Mahalo and aloha.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Mine also came with the Spare Tire Option, which is a good thing. The wife ran over something in her SHO (which did not come with a spare tire kit). I used the jack out of the Mustang to jack up her SHO to remove the front tire and a floor jack to raise the rear tire so that I could remove it. Yep, that's right both passenger side tires were flat.

I think it's time to buy a jack, 4-way lug wrench and spare tire/wheel for the SHO. Down side is that the spare tire well won't house a 20" tire/wheel which means that part of the trunk space will be sacrificed for peace of mind.

Wonder how many owners of Ford vehicles are aware that the tire sealant that comes with the fix a flat compressor has a shelf life for service?
I am aware of shelf life of the sealant. Regardless I do not intend to use the sealant. Until spare kit arrives, I will simply use that compressor to put as much air into the "flat" as I can simply to get me to the nearest tire repair shop.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Did your edcoboost come with the anti-theft options?? Reason I ask is that if you had noticed a noise similar to things being latched when you open your driver side door?.. My '18 came with the anti-theft and securilock options and I think that the latching noise is related to those options.

·
Registered
826 Posts
You couldn't get the kit? The kits in the us include the wheel with tire mounted, a jack, a tire iron for removing the lug nuts and the brackets for mounting everything in the well.

Dave
I ordered the Ford kit (at a substantial markup from it coming with the car) and it was in the trunk when the car was delivered to me. I haven't taken it all out but I imagine that at 150 ft/lbs for the lug nuts, you probably wouldn't be able to remove them with what is probably a short tire iron. Better to get a cheap breaker bar and socket to throw in the trunk, as the kit won't be any good if you can't get the lug nuts off!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I must be crazy but I didn't want the spare tire option, or at the least feel it was necessary. Less price, less weight. In the past few years I have only had one flat. It was a nail 2 miles from home. I carefully drove home before it deflated. Just monitored the air pressure on the dash gauge. Now if I didn't have free roadside assistance, I might feel differently. Maybe it's a generational thing. My 64 year old dad thought it was absolutely ridiculous to not have a spare tire!

Reactions: Kent

·
Registered
449 Posts
finally got my spare tire kit. Fits nicely in the spare tire well with jack under it. Since you tested the fit I am going to forgo that. But I will purchase a stronger lug nut wrench (advised from a recent post from JohnnyBee).

Dear Eduson2018ecoboost, I had previously sent a reply to your post that since you have a 2018 ecoboost if you car had those security features I noted and if you noticed latching noise when you open the driver's door. Same latching noise coming from the rear of car when open/or closing door after a timed period.

Thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
I must be crazy but I didn't want the spare tire option, or at the least feel it was necessary. Less price, less weight. In the past few years I have only had one flat. It was a nail 2 miles from home. I carefully drove home before it deflated. Just monitored the air pressure on the dash gauge. Now if I didn't have free roadside assistance, I might feel differently. Maybe it's a generational thing. My 64 year old dad thought it was absolutely ridiculous to not have a spare tire!
You hit it on the head about "it being a generational thing". I am 78. Feel same as your Dad.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Did your edcoboost come with the anti-theft options?? Reason I ask is that if you had noticed a noise similar to things being latched when you open your driver side door?.. My '18 came with the anti-theft and securilock options and I think that the latching noise is related to those options.
I am just being persistent and hope that you will not take offense. You are the only one (besides me that I noticed on the forums) that has a 2018 ecoboost

·
Registered
570 Posts
My spare for years in several different cars and now the mustang has been a can of fix-a-flat and a plug kit. It has worked great for me, less weight and the ability to get home or to the tire shop, where the plug and goop is removed and the hole patched from the inside.

·
Registered
18PP 10R80
255 Posts
... a can of fix-a-flat and a plug kit. It has worked great for me, less weight and the ability to get home .... plug and goop is removed and the hole patched from the inside.
Thanks Kent .. this could work for me. i rarely stray more than 10 miles from home (presently). fix-a-flat/plug then get home, put on the full size spare and make arrangements. How much time, if any, is too long to leave goop in tire before removing? it would be nice to get my trunk back and i do have Roadside for any dreaded sidewall issues.

·
Super Moderator
3,415 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
My spare for years in several different cars and now the mustang has been a can of fix-a-flat and a plug kit. It has worked great for me, less weight and the ability to get home or to the tire shop, where the plug and goop is removed and the hole patched from the inside.
Same... except all that has twice turned out to be useless. My wife and I have driven Fusion Hybrids since 2013/2014, and they don't come with spare tires either. Late one rainy night, she was driving home from visiting her daughter and missed a turn on an unfamiliar road - two states away. While making a U-turn, she clipped a curb and it tore the sidewall. The "tire mobility kit" was useless. She ended up walking to a motel and finding a tire shop in the morning. Let me tell you, that was not good!

My turn came last year when on a highway and my tire inflation warning suddenly lights. I see the PSI rapidly drop, and I manage to go half a mile to the next exit. I got out in time to pretty much hear my tire exhale its last breath. Strangely, it had picked up a small knife blade...
IMG_20190218_153459.jpg

The "kit" was once again useless to me. Plugs would not have worked, either. I've found that plugs are great for punctures, like nails or screws, but they usually result in slow leaks that may require some air, but can then be addressed once at home.

Still, we drive without spares... Thinking about this just might motivate me to put one in her Fusion, at least. ;) I don't see anything wrong with wanting a proper spare in a daily driver. I wish Ford made it a more convenient option to add when buying new.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thanks Kent .. this could work for me. i rarely stray more than 10 miles from home (presently). fix-a-flat/plug then get home, put on the full size spare and make arrangements. How much time, if any, is too long to leave goop in tire before removing? it would be nice to get my trunk back and i do have Roadside for any dreaded sidewall issues.
The goop can stay in there forever, but I get it out ASAP. I’ve had one side wall puncture put 5 plugs in and drove cautiously to the nearest tire shop and got a new tire put on.

·
Registered
18PP 10R80
255 Posts
2007-2020 Ford Mustang GT Performance Package Spare Tire Kit - Automotive Authority
Performance Package Spare Tire Kit

i like this custom 'donut' for PP Brembo dilemma. Come across as good dudes on YouTube. i just couldn't drop $400+ on a spare before even making first monthly payment. i put together my full size for just under $200 w/ wheel from AM and tire found locally. Dealer mounted and balanced for $15.

·
Registered
570 Posts
2007-2020 Ford Mustang GT Performance Package Spare Tire Kit - Automotive Authority
Performance Package Spare Tire Kit

i like this custom 'donut' for PP Brembo dilemma. Come across as good dudes on YouTube. i just couldn't drop $400+ on a spare before even making first monthly payment. i put together my full size for just under $200 w/ wheel from AM and tire found locally. Dealer mounted and balanced for $15.
That’s still fairly expensive, go to eBay, search O.E.Racing, you can pick up wheels in 18x10, hub centric, flow formed, 40 offset, that clear Brembo’s for $124.00. Very good light wheel, I bought a set for my 17 GT PP as pictured. Those wheels are PP clones and actually much lighter than the OEM wheel, can also be had in 19” and 20” sizes.
F6B7EFF3-55DE-4360-AEBE-F18620EA687D.jpeg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Year man out of mind at this point just mad about how they treated me but when u gonna hit track brother where do u go?
My First post fellas. I imported a 2016 premium eco boost soft top and noticed my spare and the rest was stolen during transport overseas. Sucks.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts