Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do these plugs look like normal wear to you? These are the Motorcraft plugs with about 6-7k on them. Seems to me something may be going on to have all of this carbon build-up after such a short amount of time. And yes, I changed the plugs out tonight with AC Delco Iridiums.

1211182050.jpg 1211182050a.jpg 1211182051.jpg

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
During a 1/4 mile run or 0 to 60 the AFR will go pig rich if the PCM thinks the combustion temps are out of range.
We're talking 9.8:1 black smoke out the pipes rich, even the OTS tunes will do it.

Seems to be part of the engine protection strategy, pro tuners back it off to the 11:1 range.

This video details how the Mustang AFR goes rich during a run on the factory tune.

Pictured below is a screenshot showing my AFR hitting 9.8:1 while fuel trims leaned to the positive side, this is with my current setup in cold temps.
Another older picture shows my factory plugs at about 1800 miles, some orange scale is present from using an octane booster, I didn't know at the time that I had a gas station locally that sold 94.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Your putting Chevy AC Delco plugs in your Mustang? Isn't that a sin somewhere? Actually, it's refreshing to see someone try something new instead of going with the flow with what everyone else does, even if it is "cough cough" Chevy parts! Let us know if you notice a change in performance or fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your putting Chevy AC Delco plugs in your Mustang? Isn't that a sin somewhere? Actually, it's refreshing to see someone try something new instead of going with the flow with what everyone else does, even if it is "cough cough" Chevy parts! Let us know if you notice a change in performance or fuel economy.
It was the only iridium tipped brand they had in stock last night. And after seeing the condition of my Motorcrafts, I didn't want to wait 3 or 4 days for NGK's or Bosch's to get in.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
AC Delco iridium plugs are made by NGK. Just like Motorcraft and Mopar Parts, AC Delco does not manufacture many of the parts they sell, all three companies just rebrand items manufactured by some one else.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts