Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a question because I honestly feel like changing my spark plugs at 30K that I’m not really getting my money worth out the spark plug so I was wondering like is there a longer time frame anybody can suggest... I have a 2015 Ford Mustang ecoboost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
496 Posts
So I have a question because I honestly feel like changing my spark plugs at 30K that I’m not really getting my money worth out the spark plug so I was wondering like is there a longer time frame anybody can suggest... I have a 2015 Ford Mustang ecoboost

The OEM plugs are good for about 100k miles. If you go a step colder you will need to change then out more often.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The OEM plugs are good for about 100k miles. If you go a step colder you will need to change then out more often.
Everyone says to change at 30K because I guess they gap out of place a lot

·
Registered
496 Posts
Everyone says to change at 30K because I guess they gap out of place a lot

The gap on the OEM's has been known to be inconsistent from the dealer lot. If you want a plug with cknsistant gap you could get the Tune+ plugs. These are NGK 1 step colder plugs gapped to .28"...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gap on the OEM's has been known to be inconsistent from the dealer lot. If you want a plug with cknsistant gap you could get the Tune+ plugs. These are NGK 1 step colder plugs gapped to .28"...
Yea I understand that but I just had a problem with changing them at 30k I felt like that was to early especially cuz I don’t have mods are anything eating up my spark plugs

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yea I understand that but I just had a problem with changing them at 30k I felt like that was to early especially cuz I don’t have mods are anything eating up my spark plugs

The stock ones will do perfectly fine for your application. I had close to 45k miles on mine when I put the tune+ plugs in the car. It was running just fine on the OEM's.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The stock ones will do perfectly fine for your application. I had close to 45k miles on mine when I put the tune+ plugs in the car. It was running just fine on the OEM's.
Yea I was thinking about changing them between 40k-45k ??

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yea I was thinking about changing them between 40k-45k ??

You might inspect them and use a gap tool to check the gap on them. If they look fine and the gap isn't too far off then you could still run them. Mine looked completely fine at 45k miles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might inspect them and use a gap tool to check the gap on them. If they look fine and the gap isn't too far off then you could still run them. Mine looked completely fine at 45k miles.
Did you have any mods ?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Forced induction motors cause spark plugs to wear much faster than naturally aspirated cars and it gets worse as you increase boost.

As the plug wears the gap will widen and make the plug more prone to spark blowout at high rpm, idle quality will start to suffer as the gap worsens.

My NGK6510's only lasted 12000 miles, at that point the car would fall on its face over 5000rpm because of spark blowout, re gapping the plugs did not correct the problem be cause the electrode was too badly worn. My car was tuned and driven hard.

Generally, a set of stock plugs with a gap of .028" should give you 30k without any performance issues, if you are tuned and drive hard that lifespan will be reduced. If you drive in a very sedate manner never getting into much boost you plug life will increase.

These engines will tolerate a one step colder plug without excessive fouling on the stock tune but a colder plug is really not necessary unless you are running a custom tune and drive the car hard.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I got sucked into the colder is better mentality on my 15 Ecoboost and installed the NGK 6520s at 2k miles. At 13k mikes they started miss firing. I put the original plugs back in and ran them to 36k miles when the car was totaled, the car ran perfect. Now with a 17 Ecoboost that is fast approaching 40k miles on the stock plugs it is running perfect. I have a new set of stock heat range plugs sitting on the shelf but i will keep running the factory plugs until i see some degradation in the way it runs.

FWIW, i have a friend with a 14 Focus ST with the 2.0l Ecoboost engine. He just rolled over 100k mikes on the stock plugs and the car is running strong. He is the poster boy for everything you shouldn't do with these motors. The car has never had anything in the tank but 87 octane and the pan has never had anything but conventional motor oil changed at 10k intervals. One of these days i am going to slip my bore scope into the intake and take a look at the valves, when i do i will post some pictures.

Dave

·
Registered
40 Posts
FWIW, i have a friend with a 14 Focus ST with the 2.0l Ecoboost engine. He just rolled over 100k mikes on the stock plugs and the car is running strong. He is the poster boy for everything you shouldn't do with these motors. The car has never had anything in the tank but 87 octane and the pan has never had anything but conventional motor oil changed at 10k intervals. One of these days i am going to slip my bore scope into the intake and take a look at the valves, when i do i will post some pictures.
My wife's 2014 Escape (2.0L EcoBoost) has close to 125k on it. I replaced the stock plugs at 100k, but honestly they could've stayed in the engine. I don't have a borescope to look at the intake valves, but there has been no degradation in fuel mileage or idle smoothness, and power output has remained consistent over the life of the engine (so far). She also runs 87 octane (she says she can't tell a difference in power with premium, but then again when people ask her what kind of car she drives her stock answer is "a blue one"), but I change the oil using Walmart's Super Tech 5W-30 full synthetic.

I didn't buy my EcoBoost Mustang until she had over 60K on her Escape. Knowing how well her engine held up was a huge confidence boost for me to plunk down the cash for a Pony car.

I'll be very interested to see what you find when you check the innards of your friend's car...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts