Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts
I have a catch can, and amsoil signature oil, I believe the LSPI preventative oil is a big deal.

Did you blow the engine on the ford performance tune? I am at 27k on my FP, I loaded it at like 5k miles. last 2k is with downpipe.

Yes, the FP was installed before it blew

I have a catch can, and amsoil signature oil, I believe the LSPI preventative oil is a big deal.

Did you blow the engine on the ford performance tune? I am at 27k on my FP, I loaded it at like 5k miles. last 2k is with downpipe.

I switched to Mobil-1 extended performance recently, I might switch to Amsoil just after the avalanche of research I did , also am looking into investing in a catch can.

amsoil claims 100% LSPI protection, this is why I went to it. Also, I put it in all my vehicles, and man... it made all my vehicles run better/quieter. My winter DD has 170k miles, I just did the change few weeks ago, and my gf's sonic turbo, both cars are like 90% more quiet now after the switch. Just good ****. Pay the 6 dollars for 6 months membership, then 16 a year after that. gets 25% off oils and free shipping over 100. stupid, but its whatever. just think of a 16 dollar yearly access for oil for all your vehicles

amsoil claims 100% LSPI protection, this is why I went to it. Also, I put it in all my vehicles, and man... it made all my vehicles run better/quieter. My winter DD has 170k miles, I just did the change few weeks ago, and my gf's sonic turbo, both cars are like 90% more quiet now after the switch. Just good ****. Pay the 6 dollars for 6 months membership, then 16 a year after that. gets 25% off oils and free shipping over 100. stupid, but its whatever. just think of a 16 dollar yearly access for oil for all your vehicles

i noticed their discounts for members. I just changed oil 2 weeks ago, might wait a little then change to Amsoil

so I decided to buy the Ruthenium HX NGK 90495

I even got an instant $5 off for joining Napa rewards. Unfortunately the plugs are on order and won't be ready until Sunday.

Buy a gapper. 2 dollars or do it a ghetto way lol

It only needs pushed in a hair. Put something hard down. Paper towel on it put it upside down, push down perfectly gently but hard

Check gap, I did this to older ngk plugs You should be able to do it til it’s rightbgap

Need feeler gauge 0.028
Mustang plugs need 14 lb torque installing

Buy a gapper. 2 dollars or do it a ghetto way lol

It only needs pushed in a hair. Put something hard down. Paper towel on it put it upside down, push down perfectly gently but hard

Check gap, I did this to older ngk plugs You should be able to do it til it’s rightbgap

Need feeler gauge 0.028
Mustang plugs need 14 lb torque installing

whats the best gap tool you can buy cheap from the auto parts stores? I'm really leaning towards just doing this myself

honestly its such a small gap, if you just push it straight down gently on a surface a couple times, checking each time.i gapped my gf's rutheniums like this. worked fine, a little pressure, check ,a little pressure, check ,dont smack them onto the table or whatever. just contact, then press a little. doesn't take much to go from the stock .032 to .028

I ended up not wanting to mess with this, I wasn't confident in the feeler gauges I had, I tried to gap them, and the stupid feeler gauges had oil on them for reason, are new feeler gauges oiled for some reason? I think I got lube on the spark plugs, so I decided I really didn't want to mess with it. I talked to the shop I go to, and explained to the main guy I deal with about the plug gaps, and he says, you never trust the "pregap" deal anyway, and he knows exactly what I meant by the .028 gap, because of the boost situation in the cars, tighter gap is better for boost, so he assured me he would gap them at .028, and that he checks plug gap before installation in any case. He only charged me $70 the swap the plugs, and he even told me about the special tool they use to gap the plugs, which is the caliper type tool, and he said that NGK are good plugs to use. Honestly, I'm pretty sure WOT is smoother. I have confidence that these plugs are better, I was reading about how they are better at handling the stress of WOT, and honestly, I felt I noticed a smoother WOT run after these plugs were put in. The old plugs were not gapped correctly anymore, either due to age or never being gapped correctly in the first place. The old plugs were fairly used looking, but nothing bad. The Ruthenium NGK's seems like a pretty good plug, I'm impressed so far. Hopefully its not the initial hype, lol.

Lol the oil is perfectly normal. Just wipe it off. It’s rust preventative.

the Little tool I bought has a knob and block and presses it in. Atleast it’s done, thos ruthenium’s will last you a long time. My car does idle better imo, and overall better cold starts. My afr is .1 leaner after plugs which means it’s burning cleaner imo.

I think ya panicked a bit but Atleast it’s done. Enjoy it. I’d say get them swapped in 75k

I’m gonna do mine every 50k but I’m on a tune. Stoc I’d go 75-100k on the ruthenium’s
advanced auto has 25-30% coupons often which mean I can get full set for 35 bucks.
Takes 1 hour to swap plugs. Gotta unbolt a lot of crap on mine, extra add ins I did. Covers etc

If I do them myself in the future, I want to gap them using the caliper tool. it seems the easiest way to do it.

Lol the oil is perfectly normal. Just wipe it off. It’s rust preventative.

the Little tool I bought has a knob and block and presses it in. Atleast it’s done, thos ruthenium’s will last you a long time. My car does idle better imo, and overall better cold starts. My afr is .1 leaner after plugs which means it’s burning cleaner imo.

I think ya panicked a bit but Atleast it’s done. Enjoy it. I’d say get them swapped in 75k

I’m gonna do mine every 50k but I’m on a tune. Stoc I’d go 75-100k on the ruthenium’s
advanced auto has 25-30% coupons often which mean I can get full set for 35 bucks.
Takes 1 hour to swap plugs. Gotta unbolt a lot of crap on mine, extra add ins I did. Covers etc

61 - 80 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.