Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

Spoiler Installation Questions

8K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Moxman 
#1 ·
Ordered a pre-painted MMD/Foose spoiler, have a factory spoiler (the 2018 premium lip), and watched the part sellers install video. Seemed simple enough at the time. In hind sight these videos are supposed to look easy, and now that it has arrived I'm faced with installing it. I am a bit intimidated having never done this type of work. I've seen that others have the same spoiler, and wondering if anyone has any tips, tricks, or general feedback on installation.

I would be doing the install by myself, and I am hoping the factory spoiler means there are pre-drilled holes. I'd rather just do it myself, but I think I'll take it to a body shop if drilling is required.

#2 ·
Yes the factory spoiler has holes, sides and middle, as well as adhesive tape. The hardest part of the job is getting the factory spoiler off. Remove the liner on the bottom side of the trunk lid and remove the spoiler fasteners. I used a heat gun to heat the spoiler to make the adhesive softer, then a piece of regular mono-filament fishing line as a "saw" to cut through the adhesive. The fishing line wont harm your paint and will slowly cut through the adhesive. Use wide plastic panel tools as a wedge to open the gap as you go. Don't force it or you will put pressure dents in the trunk lid. When you get to a bolt you have to work it as far past the bolt with line as you can to open enough gap to get the line through on the other side of the bolt and continue on. Then the fun part, cleaning off the remains of the adhesive tape. Goo-Gone did the trick for me. If the new spoiler takes advantage of all the factory holes, you are golden. If not, and the new spoiler doesnt cover all the holes, you will need to address sealing the exposed holes.

Reactions: dgc333
#3 ·
Kewl nailed it. Just take your time, and don't get frustrated. Goo gone works good. You may be able to roll the tape off with your fingers, I did. A little hard on the finger tips though. I used 50/50 iso alcohol to clean the lid before installation of the new tape.

Reactions: KewlWinter
#5 ·
Yeah, I started out doing exactly that, rolling the tape off with my fingers... until I ran out of fingers due to rubbing a layer or two of skin off them. ? Had to resort to the goo gone after that.

Reactions: JAKE
#4 ·
X2 KewlWinter. That's exactly what I did. 30lb test works great and doesn't break.

#6 ·
All of these tips are great! Here's another one. Since the MMD spoiler comes with double-sided sticky tape, you only get one chance to drop that spoiler in place. To make the job easier, I went to Home Depot and bought some 6MM X 1.0 studs. These will screw in to the holes in the spoiler. They will serve as locating dowels, so you can set the spoiler exactly where it needs to be. Then, remove the studs and screw the mounting bolts in to place. Done; and perfectly located.

#7 ·
I did the same thing but i left the studs in the spoiler and put nuts on them to secure the spoiler.
Also, i only peeled back an inch or two of the 3M tape backing and taped it to the spoiler so i could get at it when the spoiker was in place. Once i had it in positioned i pulled the backing out from between the spoiler and trunk lid.

Dave

#11 ·
I used a threaded screw cutter and made my own studs. 8/32 if I remember correctly.

#13 ·
Reactions: drazz
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.