Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

Steel cowl extension

5K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  homerinthewild 
#1 ·
I was looking to purchase just the steel cowl extension that comes with the Ford performance kit because I already have the mishimoto strut tower brace. Wouldn't you know...... no luck! As I called my third ford parts counter the gentleman said ' do you mean the FRONT FENDER APRON ASSEMBLY?' How about that! Ford part number FR3Z16K038A happened to be just what I was looking for.$130 bux. If anyone else was having the same problem, that was my solution. Thought I'd share.

Reactions: MPurpleVert22
#3 ·
I got the same one with the Ford performance STB, replaced the old plastic one and its a significant difference.

Reactions: Shotgunut
#4 ·
Reactions: Shotgunut and zhent
#5 ·
Its commonly referred to as a "K" brace. It ties the strut towers into the firewall upper section.

It's part of the FP STB kit.

BD
This is fitted to all ADM cars. Not sure if that the case with other domestic markets.

#6 ·
Only domestic HPP cars have the K brace and strut tower brace from factory. It can be ordered as dealer option but will not be badged as a 2.3L HPP on center of strut tower brace.

Non HPP just have a cheap plastic filler panel on right side along battery well that really serves no purpose IMO.

BD

#7 ·
And...

for '15-'17 cars, the USDM Performance Pack cars got the K brace, but no strut tower brace.

#8 ·
It was quite a pain to find just the "k member" part to go with my mishimoto stb. Hope to feel a significant improvement once I get the front end tied together. Thank you all for your response. Looking forward to my first scca course next month.

#9 ·
I don't know what year it started, but the K Brace was standard on convertibles. My 2018 has it, and I just added the Strut Brace.

#10 ·
My 18 premium coupe came with the plastic brace on it as well, but its a non PP. That said, my car is weird since it was flagged as a premium but a "Special order " with cloth interior according to the window sticker. I've also found several pieces of evidence that the car was involved in a non reported rear end collision of some sort, like a clearly non OEM factory rear bumper cover and 17 Tails, a missing trunk actuator switch in the rear, and a replacement headliner for a 17 that didn't quite fit correctly. All of which has been replaced and returned to OEM with the exception of the Tails. (VLAND FTW).

#17 ·
Mine also came with the plastic brace if you can even call a piece of plastic a brace. Don't really think it was a brace but more of a means to hold the battery cover in place.

BD

Reactions: stangs-R-me
#11 ·
Forgot about Verts having the K brace from factory and also not sure what year that started.

BD

#13 ·
Good deal.

BD

#16 ·
To tie the cowl brace in to the firewall properly you need the cowl brace extension panel (FR3Z-63016A52-A). You also need 3 M8x29MM cowl panel bolts to mount the extension panel to the firewall. This will actually add more rigidity by completing that point of the triangle when you tie the cowl brace to the firewall. I don't know why they don't include this in the kit, since this part IS on the PP cars.
Bicycle part Auto part Rim Bicycle drivetrain part Font

#19 ·
My K bar bolts right into existing firewall threaded bosses that were already in place to tie the firewall to the strut tower of my 2020 eco premium.

Does the cowl brace above bolt to the same holes in the firewall for even more support or was it only needed for pre 2020 model years? Do not understand where this bolts to add any further support. Got a pic of it installed.

BD

#21 ·
Ok my K brace/bar bolts directly to the firewall at those 3 locations so no need for the extra support piece you show.

BD

#22 ·
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Reactions: Coyote Chaser
#24 ·
Ok, I see now, from the pic it looked like the reinforcement plate bolted to the same place as the K brace and hung out over the engine bay, but I see now that it sets under the cowl panel between the K brace and firewall on top of the wiper motor well.

So does it go on top of K brace at cowl or under it between cowl and K brace. Does it require complete removal of cowl cover to install?
Does it come with bolts for firewall attachment point or reuse existing bolts?

BD

#25 ·
Ok, I see now, from the pic it looked like the reinforcement plate bolted to the same place as the K brace and hung out over the engine bay, but I see now that it sets under the cowl panel between the K brace and firewall on top of the wiper motor well.

So does it go on top of K brace at cowl or under it between cowl and K brace. Does it require complete removal of cowl cover to install?
Does it come with bolts for firewall attachment point or reuse existing bolts?

BD
Basic steps:
  • Follow instructions that came with the Ford Performance Strut Tower Brace Kit or the instructions on AM to remove the useless plastic cowl brace.
  • The cowl will be loose, but held on by the wiper arms. Remove the wiper arms.
  • Install the cowl extension using the 3 new additional M8x29MM bolts. (same as 4 bolts already removed for the plastic cowl brace)
  • Resume with the install of the K brace and strut tower brace.
Installation Thread

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Buldawg76
#26 ·
Yep, perfectly clear now. Just need to see if my car already has the cowl extension brace on it. I do have the lower K brace on my eco premium from when I did the IC install, I remember seeing it in place.

Thanks
BD

Reactions: KewlWinter
#27 ·
Just checked and I do not have the firewall to cowl extension brace on my pony, so I guess a I can add another item to my wish list.:cool:

BD

#30 ·
Sorry to necro this thread, but I didn't want to create a new one to ask a related question, when all the info could be here for future reference.

I'm getting ready to buy the FP strut tower brace kit for my '22 Eco Premium, but also intend to buy the cowl extension and wanted to make sure that I did not need to buy any more bolts than what I will already have once everything arrives.

I noticed a discussion here about a fifth boss on the cowl extension that one of the posters there evidently didn't have a bolt for, but from the discussion I couldn't tell if I will need a bolt for this or not on my '22.

The install seems relatively straightforward, as does KW's step-by-step above, but since I'm still a bit fuzzy on what I need for the cowl extension bracket, I thought I'd ask before getting elbow deep into the install and realizing that that one bolt I wasn't sure whether I needed has just become the most important thing that's missing in my life! :D

Thanks, all. Appreciate the help!

#31 · (Edited)
You need a total of 7 bolts to install the K brace and cowl extension part number W717964-S450B. The strut tower/k brace kit will come with 4 of those bolts I believe but the cowl brace does not come with the bolts so you will need to order 3 but I believe they come in packs of 4 from ford so you should have one left over.

If you have not already bought the cowl extension or not but there is a used one in very good condition on ebay for sale at about 15+ bucks below new, Ots not a part that will ever be seen so appearance is not an issue. Ot fits 15-23 models so do not let the 15-17 model year designation keep you from buying it. They had 2 for sale and I bought one of those 2 for my 2020.

2015-2017 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Support Mount Bracket Brace OEM 15-17 | eBay

BD

Reactions: homerinthewild
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.