Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace all (4) of my tires last week. Had a screw in the center of a tire and brought it to the local Goodyear shop (much more convenient than going to Ford). The sidewall blew out when they were unmounting the tire (no, it was never driven at low pressure). A few weeks earlier, I glanced a curb and both right side tires developed side wall bulges, so they were replaced with the OEM Pirellis. Tried pushing the warranty angle, Ford said "nyet". I said screw this and went with a set of Goodyear asymmetric summer times with a much thicker sidewall. The car has less than 10K miles. I had Pirellis on my 2007 GT and never encountered an issue. Rant over. Flame away.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I had to replace all (4) of my tires last week. Had a screw in the center of a tire and brought it to the local Goodyear shop (much more convenient than going to Ford). The sidewall blew out when they were unmounting the tire (no, it was never driven at low pressure). A few weeks earlier, I glanced a curb and both right side tires developed side wall bulges, so they were replaced with the OEM Pirellis. Tried pushing the warranty angle, Ford said "nyet". I said screw this and went with a set of Goodyear asymmetric summer times with a much thicker sidewall. The car has less than 10K miles. I had Pirellis on my 2007 GT and never encountered an issue. Rant over. Flame away.
When I switched out my stock Perellis, they had uneaven tire wear. I went with NITTO NT555 G2's and the car handles so much better...

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Let me get this straight, you damaged three tires yourself so the tires suck.

I have had two Mustangs with the P-Zero summer tires. While they certainly aren't the best performance tire you can buy they are certainly not the worest tire supplied as OEM.

I find them to have more handling capability than a responsible person can use on the road, they ride smooth & quiet and handle reasonably good in the wet. The only issue i have with them is the fast wear and degradation in handling as temps approach freezing both of which are characteristics of all summer tires. It is because these characteristics i will mostly likely go with a high performance all season. It will help extend the life of my winter tires by allowing me to put them on latter and take them off earlier.

Dave

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have glanced curbs in the past and not had the affected tires develop bulges. The nail in the tire was center tread and easily repairable, but the sidewall collapsed when they were unmounting it. That tire had maybe 4K miles on it and was never run lower than 32 PSI. I did research and found issues with the Pirelli side walls, so I bit the bullet and invested in new skins

·
Registered
140 Posts
My Corvette (2nd owner) had Pirelli P Zero's on it when I got it from the 1st owner. I thought the car handled amazing (till I replaced them with Nitto NT55;s) WOW, those Pirelli's weren't as great as I thought. The Nitto's could run circles around them and never loose grip with the road. I could slide the Pirelli's around with no problem but was able to control it just because the car has such great suspension. Couple that with better tires (Nitto's) and it made a HUGE difference!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
As much as I hated the stock Pirelli P Zero's for grip, the one benefit they did offer was very precise steering and turn-in.
However the Michelin PS4's I now have are a huge step above in performance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am thinking of switching to the Mickey Thompson ET Street SS. I have a 2019 PP with the 19" wheels. Should I go with the same size as the P-Zero's, or switch it up? I do plan on lowering the ride height soon.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Funny, I just switched to NT555 and I really miss my Pirellis. They felt more planted at speed, had better steering feel and I felt hada thicker sidewall. The Nittos are decent, but I felt the pirellis made me want to push the car. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
After some suspension and steering mods and a full alignment for track use my Pirellis don't feel so bad. They are close to being worn out (16,000 miles on the car) and will be replaced with PS4's.

Reactions: LostSAAB
1 - 9 of 9 Posts