Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

Stock Ecoboost PP Pirellis Suck

6K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  slojas 
#1 ·
I had to replace all (4) of my tires last week. Had a screw in the center of a tire and brought it to the local Goodyear shop (much more convenient than going to Ford). The sidewall blew out when they were unmounting the tire (no, it was never driven at low pressure). A few weeks earlier, I glanced a curb and both right side tires developed side wall bulges, so they were replaced with the OEM Pirellis. Tried pushing the warranty angle, Ford said "nyet". I said screw this and went with a set of Goodyear asymmetric summer times with a much thicker sidewall. The car has less than 10K miles. I had Pirellis on my 2007 GT and never encountered an issue. Rant over. Flame away.

#2 ·
I had to replace all (4) of my tires last week. Had a screw in the center of a tire and brought it to the local Goodyear shop (much more convenient than going to Ford). The sidewall blew out when they were unmounting the tire (no, it was never driven at low pressure). A few weeks earlier, I glanced a curb and both right side tires developed side wall bulges, so they were replaced with the OEM Pirellis. Tried pushing the warranty angle, Ford said "nyet". I said screw this and went with a set of Goodyear asymmetric summer times with a much thicker sidewall. The car has less than 10K miles. I had Pirellis on my 2007 GT and never encountered an issue. Rant over. Flame away.
When I switched out my stock Perellis, they had uneaven tire wear. I went with NITTO NT555 G2's and the car handles so much better...

#3 ·
Let me get this straight, you damaged three tires yourself so the tires suck.

I have had two Mustangs with the P-Zero summer tires. While they certainly aren't the best performance tire you can buy they are certainly not the worest tire supplied as OEM.

I find them to have more handling capability than a responsible person can use on the road, they ride smooth & quiet and handle reasonably good in the wet. The only issue i have with them is the fast wear and degradation in handling as temps approach freezing both of which are characteristics of all summer tires. It is because these characteristics i will mostly likely go with a high performance all season. It will help extend the life of my winter tires by allowing me to put them on latter and take them off earlier.

Dave

#4 ·
I have glanced curbs in the past and not had the affected tires develop bulges. The nail in the tire was center tread and easily repairable, but the sidewall collapsed when they were unmounting it. That tire had maybe 4K miles on it and was never run lower than 32 PSI. I did research and found issues with the Pirelli side walls, so I bit the bullet and invested in new skins

#5 ·
My Corvette (2nd owner) had Pirelli P Zero's on it when I got it from the 1st owner. I thought the car handled amazing (till I replaced them with Nitto NT55;s) WOW, those Pirelli's weren't as great as I thought. The Nitto's could run circles around them and never loose grip with the road. I could slide the Pirelli's around with no problem but was able to control it just because the car has such great suspension. Couple that with better tires (Nitto's) and it made a HUGE difference!

#6 ·
As much as I hated the stock Pirelli P Zero's for grip, the one benefit they did offer was very precise steering and turn-in.
However the Michelin PS4's I now have are a huge step above in performance.

#8 ·
Funny, I just switched to NT555 and I really miss my Pirellis. They felt more planted at speed, had better steering feel and I felt hada thicker sidewall. The Nittos are decent, but I felt the pirellis made me want to push the car. Different strokes for different folks.

#9 ·
After some suspension and steering mods and a full alignment for track use my Pirellis don't feel so bad. They are close to being worn out (16,000 miles on the car) and will be replaced with PS4's.

Reactions: LostSAAB
#11 ·
Ran the original P Zeros that were on the car when I bought it CPO last October. They were about 70% gone. In the 1K miles of use, the car broke loose, swinging out very easily and unexpectedly more than a few times. They were pretty hard, even at the rated psi and were terrible in any standing water. Was glad to be rid of them!

#13 ·
Is everyone talking about the P Zero summer tires that come with the Performance Package or the P Zero Nero all season tires that are the non PP cars?

I have had two Mustangs that came with the P Zero summer tires. While they certainly are not the best performance tire they are not bad and I find them to be reasonably good in the rain.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

#15 · (Edited)
I went through 2 sets of pzero summer tires in 35k miles and they were a bit slippery when cold but were ok otherwise. I switched to Falken a/s because I was tired of going through tires every 15k miles.

#16 ·
I'm in south Florida, there's no "cold" down here. Bit of rain sure, but the only time it's "cold" it's maybe 65 in the morning. There's no excuse for these tires to completely fail in 10k miles of either highway or daily driving. It's never been on the track and I only used line lock once when the car had 1500 miles.

#17 · (Edited)
I'm in South Carolina so it doesn't get real cold here and gets very hot in the summer. Hot weather will cause faster tire wear

When I didn't rotate my tires I only got 8500 out of the rear tires before moving the front to rear and getting new front tires. These are summer tires so they are not going to last more than 10k and be any good. If you want longer lasting tires get a/s with 45,k tried life.

The pzero are not the best Perelli tires on the market but many high end sports cars use Perelli as OEM. I was only paying 177 per tire when I replaced them so they were among the cheapest replacement tires.

The Falken a/s I have now will last 45k tires but do not handle as well as the Perelli summer in the heat.

#19 ·
So just to add my two cents to this thread...

I had the stock Pirellis 'summer tires' when I got the car. They sucked. After about a year, they were unusable in a Miami rainstorm, as they would constantly slip and slide. I decided to go with Pirellis again for my 2nd go round, but went with the Neros, since they had slightly better tread. These lasted about 16 months before the tread was gone. I wrote off Pirellis for my 3rd go round, and went with Yokohama Advan Sports. I've had them on my car now for almost a year, and they look like they are brand new still.

#22 ·
I would assume the roads over there in Miami aren't in **** shape. The roads over here in Fort Myers / Cape Coral are in pretty good shape aside from some of the side streets.

The 220 wear on these P Zeros is insane. I hated the Eagle F1s that my ST came with, but even those lasted 35-40K miles.

#25 ·
I would assume the roads over there in Miami aren't in **** shape. The roads over here in Fort Myers / Cape Coral are in pretty good shape aside from some of the side streets.
The 220 wear on these P Zeros is insane. I hated the Eagle F1s that my ST came with, but even those lasted 35-40K miles.
The roads are pretty decent here. Local government elects to continue funneling money into highway and road construction rather than any type of investment into public transit, much to the chagrin of many residents. You either own a car here or you die. Figuratively speaking of course. 😅

#23 · (Edited)
You got 50% more than me out of those summer PZero's. I put these ultra high performance Falken a/s tires on and have barely any tire wear after 10k miles and 1.5 years. While these are not the best performing tires they are holding up much better and should be good at around 40k miles so I should be good on tires for another 3-4 years.

Falken
Pro G5 Sport A/S
P 255 /40 R19 100Y XL BSW
ITEM: 43849
PRICE

170.00​
QTY

4​
TOTAL

680.00​

#24 ·
I have 48k miles on my 17 Ecoboost Mustang and it is still wearing the original P Zero summer tires. I do swap to winter tires mid to late November and back to the summers late March early April. I don't drive the Mustang as much in the winter as I do the rest of the year so I would estimate that the P Zero summer tires have some what over 25k miles on them.

I don't think they will last until it time to swap to the winters so I will most likely be buying tires between now and November. My thinking at this point for new tires is an ultra high performance all season. This will allow me to run the tires latter in the year and put them back on earlier in the spring extending the life of my winters.

The primary line of tires at my son's tire and service center is Continental/General so I will likely go with the Extreme Contact DWS06 or the General G-Max05.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

#26 ·
I liked the factory 18" Goodyear all seasons on my 17 eco.
The factory 18" pirelli's on my GT did not perform as well as the Goodyears in daily driving in my experience.
I sold those pirelli's and the rims to a fellow with a 2006 Mustang, now running 19x9.5 SVE drifts with 285/35r19's.

Below is my old wheels on the 2006.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.