Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like we (Ted and I) will be looking for a new place to hang our cars ...

Street Touring Category
#25311 Time for STP to go
The STAC is recommending that the STP class (which is a Supplemental class) be
removed. Unfortunately, STP has consistently failed to capture the interest of the
membership, with limited participation nationwide for the past 3 years that STP has
been in existence (2016, 2017, and 2018). The STAC and SEB remind members that
cars formerly in STP are eligible for the STU class.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Well, not STU. Locally it's full of Subaru WRXs and there's no way I'd be competitive in it.

I don't like CAM-C, because I keep seeing these fully prepared race cars with minimal interior. They may be street legal and registered, but they're not truly streetable.

I won't do FSP for similar reasons. And the PAX is worse.

I may be stuck with CAM-C.

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll probably go with STU as that is the fun people
CAM-C like you said is full of slightly disguised race cars.
ESP you can run RACE TIRES. PURPLE CRACK FOREVER! (can't afford $1,400 tires 3 times a year tho)

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And why do we are about PAX?

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Honestly I feel like this is about where the local competition is.

I care about the PAX as far as the local clubs group some of the smaller classes. ESP or SM would land me either in the R or T pax classes (Race or sTreet Tires), running against some serious competitors, and I can't afford Purple Crack either.

Locally CAM may have the barely disguised race cars show up, but they're never at enough events to trophy for the season and for the most part there are a lot of cars that should otherwise be in STP if their owners didn't have one or two questionable mods that they didn't want to have to explain. Hell, with swapped Intercoolers, we're not exactly legal in STP (or STU for that matter). I also know that some of the local competition in STU would object to my car since they can see the upgraded intercooler piping. If I had done wrinkle black instead it might have slipped by. STU also means that you can't run your GT350 wheels and tires.

I already ordered up some CAM-C class cards...

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
285 width tires? WTF is that? :eek:

but I can run 11" wide wheels? You can't even put a 285 on a 11" wheel. WTF SCCA?

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
yeah, that's a hard stretch for a 285 race tire.

So feel free to join STU, but you're stuck with the 285s.

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a letter going into SCCA rules board on this, rest assured.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Oh good, so everyone will be able to read another cryptic response from them with no context...

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
I just put some 285 35r 19 on my sve wheels in the back ..they fit good ..and 255 35 on the 19x10 front
To me, the only reason to go with wide wheels is to fit wider tires. I'd have a minimum of a 285 on a 10" wheel with at least a 305 on an 11". Hell I have 285/35R19s on both my stock 9" and my SVE 9.5" wheels.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
My plan is 305 rear 275 or 265 front .im just running some good used tires i got cheap for now to put on the rims. I did not want to go spacers this time around with the car .

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Something interesting...

I went through the listings on all of the autocross events I've attended for the year with the two clubs I'm a member of and the results are kind of revealing. Had I listed in CAM-C at the beginning of the year, I would have gotten all first or second place in CAM-C through the year, and would have still placed as top in class for both clubs. Attendance is a huge issue in both STP and CAM-C in the Austin/San Antonio area.

·
Super Moderator
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Something interesting...

I went through the listings on all of the autocross events I've attended for the year with the two clubs I'm a member of and the results are kind of revealing. Had I listed in CAM-C at the beginning of the year, I would have gotten all first or second place in CAM-C through the year, and would have still placed as top in class for both clubs. Attendance is a huge issue in both STP and CAM-C in the Austin/San Antonio area.
I have done that a time or two myself. I'd sit solidly at the bottom of the class. Yes, there's something to say about hitting all of the events, however even with that I'd end up licking my wounds more than not. There is a whole lot of money in those cars, more than I want to spend. I was thinking about going to Tire, but I've heard that's going away in ER because of lack of attendance. STU will be light, but there was some competition in it, altho J-W is going to "retire" as he doesn't want to track his street car ... he has one car for each driver in the house and doesn't want something broken (go figure STi)

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
I will admit that the CAM-C competition up in the DFW area is pretty stiff. In your shoes I'm not sure what I would do.

Pthers down here have also looked at the CAM records and come to the same conclusion that I have. My local CAM scene consists mostly of folks who've made light upgrades to their daily driven cars and don't want to bother following the rules of the stricter classes. Most of them would have fit in STP, but the local clubs have sold most muscle car guys into the CAM classes without regard to other possibilities. There are several guys talking about going into CAM with some heavy plans for modification, though one of them has placed nationally in FS, so has been in our X class, and two others are talking about CAM-S Vettes.

In ER you might be better off in STU, even with the narrower tires. I know that down here we have some pretty harsh STU competition with Subaru WRXs who are almost always significantly faster than I am. They've also complained about my aftermarket charge pipes, so I'm sure they wouldn't want me with them as things are.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts