Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the latest photo of my 2017 Premium Ecoboost Mustang in Grabber Blue with Performance Package taken on 10/14/2019 near Watkins Glen overlooking Seneca Lake.

Below is a list of all modifications done since I purchased the car on August 3, 2016.

Appearance Mods Installed:
Exterior
Craig's License Plate Bracket
Diode Dynamics Backup LED XP80
Diode Dynamics Taillight Sequencer
Puddle Lamp Lens Tint (Orange) Kit

Grabber Blue Covers for Pony Emblems (Grille & Back Deck) from eBay Seller jimnkathye (removed)
UPR Products Front Pony Emblem in Competition Orange
UPR Products Rear Pony Emblem in Competition Orange

Big Worm Graphix/UPR 2.3T Emblem (dot & T Matte Orange)
Big Worm Graphix Hood Spears in Matte Orange
Big Worm Graphix Stallion Side Stripes in Matte Orange

GT Upper Grille from eBay Ford Dealer palmcoastford2014
GT Lower Grille Delete from Lethal Performance

MMD by FOOSE Quarter Window Scoops - Pre-painted Grabber Blue from American Muscle

ZL1 Addons DELUXE Rock Guards
Orange Color Windshield Logo Backing Oval

Interior
Black Non-Slip Gripper Trunk Mat
Diode Dynamics Interior Stage 2 LED Conversion Kit
Grabber Blue Steering Wheel Pony Decal
White Madness Automatic Shifter Conversion Kit - Blue Shift Knob
Steering Wheel Black Leather And Alcantara With Blue Stitching/Stripe for 2015-2017 Mustangs
eBay iPhone Docking Station

Engine Bay
MRT Original No Drill Hood Struts
JLT Performance OEM Painted Ecoboost Engine Cover in Grabber Blue with Orange Lettering
MMD Coolant Overflow Tank Cover with Mustang Lettering in Textured Matte Black

Anchor Room Under the Hood Vinyl Pony Graphic (must request via Contact Link)
Anchor Room Custom Aluminum Engine Plate (5.5 inches wide x 1.5 inches tall)
MMD Strut Tower Covers with Running Pony Logo
MMD Radiator Extension Covers

Performance Mods Installed:
K&N 33-5029 Replacement Air Filter (Amazon)
AIRAID 450-930 Modular Intake Tube for Ecoboost
Tune+ Denso ITV22 (5340) Spark Plugs (9/2016)
Tune+ Gapped NGK LTR7IX-11 (6510) 1-step colder Spark Plugs (7/19/2019)
Ford Racing Black Strut Tower Brace
Black-Anodized Full-Race Intercooler (From Tune+)
Custom Catback Exhaust installed by B&D Exhaust in Binghamton, NY
Replaced Fuel Pressure Sensor

Cobb Accessport V3 (From Tune+)
Tune+ Tunes for Life
Tune+ Transmission Tuning
Tune+ UPR Crankcase Breather
Tune+ UPR Dual Valve Oil Catch Can
Tune+ Upgraded Turbosmart Wastegate Actuator

Set of 4 SVE R350 19x10 Liquid Graphite Wheels from LMR
Set of 4 Continental ExtremeContact Sport 285/35ZR19 Tires

Waiting for Installation:
G2 Orange Brake Caliper Paint Kit
Custom Brake Caliper Decals (on order)
Diode Dynamics Mustang Sequential LED Turn Signals with DRL harness (USDM)

Future Mods:
Steeda Anti-Wheel Hop Kit for S550 Mustangs (in 2021)

Cool Stat: Only 2,516 Grabber Blue EcoBoost Mustang Coupes were produced.

Stock Reference Photos (taken on 8/3/2016):

·
Registered
643 Posts
Nice start for a build thread! Don't forget, you really need to set some sort of priority for an intercooler if you plan to drive hard.

If you're going with TUNE+, Adam recommends modding in this order: Tune>Plugs>Intercooler>Upgraded IWG>Catback>Downpipe>Intake

Can't wait to see how this ride shapes up. I particularly like your blue/orange color scheme, can't wait to see that!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Tune+ service and IC will come next month due to money priorities. :)

I plan to do a little bit of everything. I have good local tracks and clubs for drag racing and auto-crossing. So, hard driving is in the plan. :D

Today, finishing up the LED lighting upgrades and a few more appearance pieces. Then its off for a cruise up to the shore of Lake Ontario for dinner and more photos.

This weekend the major blue/orange pieces get put in place. Look for the unveiling Sunday night if all goes well with the detail shop.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
2.3T Emblem (dot & T Matte Orange) : Easy install but you need to find the template first. The vendor I purchased from did not have it. An internet search will find it. Worth the effort. As of 3/25/2019, Big Worm Graphix no longer sells these in choice of colors. UPR Products has some choices but not customizable.

I paid too much for these. What can I say, I wanted the orange dot and "T". There are all black and silver and black ones which are cheaper. Some have red dots and "T"'s. Still, I do like the results. It will all make sense in a couple of days from now.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Diode Dynamics Interior Stage 2 LED Conversion Kit : It looks easy in the videos. Not so much in real life. I shall explain.

First, the conversion kit has bulbs for the following:

4 - Vanity Lights
2 - Map Lights
1 - Trunk Light
1 - Glove Box Light

First...big tip! The lights you are replacing are VERY HOT! I waited for the lights to time out after burning a couple of fingers. :oops: Once the lights go off, wait a minute for them to cool down.

The Maps Lights were the only ones which went in easy. At least, you can turn Map lights on and off.

Seems the 2017 Vanity mirrors are different from the 2015 ones I saw in the videos (UPDATE: Upon further review, there was no differences. Just took a lot more effort to pop them out then the videos showed). To even have a chance at getting the bulbs in, you have to remove the mirror by removing the two screws. But, unlike 2015 models, the mirrors just don't come out. You have to remove the entire mirror and cover in one large bezel. Once I figured that out, it was easy to get the new bulbs in. Not so easy to get them to work. Some of the wires were out of place on the bulbs and took a few tries to get them lined up right so they would work. And, the only way to find out if they worked was to put the bezel back in. It took three tries for one and fives tries on the second.

The trunk light went according to plan. Had some trouble removing the light assembly from the power connecter but, once done, rest went well. The light assembly has a connecter on one end, the other end you need to push out a clear plastic lever before the assembly will click back into place.

Last and very least, the Glove Box light. This is one hard light to remove! I used tweezers to finally get it to come out. In my attempt to put the replacement LED light in, the Mustang ate it! :(:mad: It was there and then it wasn't. When I pressed up and in to insert it, it disappeared. Found out it went through an opening above the glove box. Tried as I might, I could not retrieve it. So, I will order another one from Diode Dynamics. It wasn't their fault. Definitely operator error! :confused:

Even with all the issues, the LEDs are well worth the effort. They are so much brighter with white light and not the yellow light from the stock bulbs. Highly recommend getting the Stage Two option.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
UPDATE: I swapped these out for Competition Orange Emblems from UPR in 2018.

Grabber Blue Covers for Pony Emblems (Grille & Back Deck) from eBay Seller jimnkathye : These come in any Ford Factory colors. The guy is constantly rotating them on eBay. If you contact him directly for a color, it shows up soon after on eBay. They are inexpensive (~$19 with free shipping).

They are molds which go over the chrome Mustang emblems on the Front Grille and Rear Trunk.

I was surprised the grille emblem is bigger than the trunk one. On the inside are 3M back to back trim tape pieces which you peel off after cleaning the emblem on the car with the supplied alcohol swab. It is also suggested to use extra adhesive in the other areas. I used Goop. This also means if I want to remove them later, I will have to destroy the cover.

The covers fit perfectly. Would like to note the rear trunk cover does not go down to the black paint. There is about an eighth of an inch of the chrome you can see but it is not noticeable unless you look down on it.

Front Grille

Rear Trunk

I may save up for fancier ones later but I like how these look.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Very nice. If that color didn't stand out now and now it really does. Lol Good job.
It was hard not too miss before, now it can not be ignored. :D

When I remember to do it, being able to remove the front license plate for photos using the Craig's License Plate Bracket is wonderful. Keeps me legal and I still get a clean front end for glamour shots.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Very well planned out mods! I hope to be as organized as you when I start on my car!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Grabber Blue Steering Wheel Pony Decal: Another easy and simple way to customize your Mustang. I got the Ebony interior with no colored stitching so this adds a nice splash of color to the inside. This guy has many of the factory colors for the steering wheel AND the Since 1964 dash plaque. Has lots of decals for the Start Button, too.

·
Registered
643 Posts
If I'm reading your list right, you're getting ready to install the TUNE+ IWG. You NEED to make sure you get an updated tune from Adam before you start up the car after installing that.

Also, many would highly recommend that you toss in those spark plugs, followed by your intercooler upgrade before you install the IWG. You'll run into charge temp issues with the stock IC and its not fun when that happens.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
If I'm reading your list right, you're getting ready to install the TUNE+ IWG. You NEED to make sure you get an updated tune from Adam before you start up the car after installing that.

Also, many would highly recommend that you toss in those spark plugs, followed by your intercooler upgrade before you install the IWG. You'll run into charge temp issues with the stock IC and its not fun when that happens.
The IWG will wait until after the plugs and IC. Adam told me about having to have a tune with it. As of a couple of weeks ago, 2017 support from Cobb was not available. Might be now or very soon. The plan is to install the IC in mid-September.

Will be putting in the Catch Can, plugs, Strut Tower and AirRaid Intake Tube later this month.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am also waiting for Cobb's 2017 Support. I have the Accessport.. just need the Maps! What are you planning for the Catch Can? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've been looking at the Mishimoto with blue hoses. I would prefer to buy a product made in USA though, so not sure what I am going to do.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts