Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been driving my 2017 ecoboost for about 5 months on 87 octane but I’ve been hearing that I should try using 93 octane to get more power. Is it worth it? Would I need a tune like you do with E85?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The owners manual says you can run as low as 87 octaine gas. The factory calibration has an octaine learning feature that will adjust to whatever octaine gas you fill the car with automatically. There is no need to run the tank dry unless you flash a tune that is specific to 93 pump only.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The owners manual says you can run as low as 87 octaine gas. The factory calibration has an octaine learning feature that will adjust to whatever octaine gas you fill the car with automatically. There is no need to run the tank dry unless you flash a tune that is specific to 93 pump only.
Perfect, Thanks!

·
Registered
916 Posts
LOL, I'm thinking of going the other way if/when I have to return to the office and go back to a regular commute. 87 is currently CDN$1.45/litre (~US$4.41/US gallon). 91 is significantly more, something around US$5.31/US gallon.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Here, 93 is $3.30 or so at Costco. A tank will last the Mustang a month, perhaps more depending on the weather. My Explorer goes about 18 days on a fuel-up.

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
331 Posts
I got mine from the dealer I assumed they put 87 in it, after a couple of fill ups with 93 I could tell the difference.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I switched from 87 to 91 and more than made up the difference in price in increased mileage. Plus, the car is more fun to drive without the computer constantly pulling timing and boost on the 87.
I had the same experience, much to my surprise. I never figured the cost/mile would be less with 93. My Escape did a 3,600 mile round trip to Colorado back in the spring. It left home with a tummy-full of 93. My wife grumped about the cost of 93, but she bought it anyway. The average for those two tanks was nearly 25mpg. I told her to try some cheaper mid-grade. The mileage dropped to below 22 mpg. I figured it was the higher altitude, but after two tanks and a return to premium, the mileage was back up to 24ish, so the rest of the trip was on premium.

The return trip was all premium, mostly 93. The return average was over 25 with one being nearly 30. The fuel-cost-per-mile was much less on the hard stuff than on the "cheaper" stuff. I suspect that was due in part to steady speeds which only require power and not much torque. City driving needs more torque, so the difference may not be so great.

Reactions: Nater Potater

·
Registered
405 Posts
I got mine from the dealer I assumed they put 87 in it, after a couple of fill ups with 93 I could tell the difference.
When I bought my Escape, the salesman put 93 in it from our discussion of octane and power. When I bought the Explorer, I asked. "They won't let us put anything but 87 in 'em," was the response.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yesterday we finished a three day trip 90% highway cruising mostly 75 to 80 mph with a few sprints to 90 and one to 100 mph.
Car Speedometer Vehicle Steering part Odometer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts