Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I've already done the Sync 3.4 update to Build 22200 a while back, and aside from the issue where the log file didn't go through on the website, the update finished in the car with no problems.

Today I tried updating to Build 22251, and it was interesting. I was driving, and I noticed that after it said the update was successful, it rebooted the system instead of waiting for me to remove the USB drive. It came back up, updated again, and restarted. One more time of this, and I waited to see the "you may remove the USB drive" message for the third time, and pulled it before the system rebooted.

When I got home, I checked and the build number is correct. So far as I can tell, everything is working fine. However, there is no XML file on the drive, so I'm wondering if it really updated properly. I'm guessing that XML file prevents the system from doing the update again after a reboot with the stick still in the port.

· Registered
2016 ecoboost premium
275 Posts
if all functions work then the update worked properly. I had a sync 3 update fail, where it installed like half way then it failed and i lost voice control and a bunch of other functions stopped working. if all the stock functions work then i personally wouldnt stress.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if all functions work then the update worked properly. I had a sync 3 update fail, where it installed like half way then it failed and i lost voice control and a bunch of other functions stopped working. if all the stock functions work then i personally wouldnt stress.
Thanks for the reply! Just because I'm a masochist, I tried the update again today and same deal. I let it run probably 5-6 times, and it looks like that's just how this update does, but it installs fine. I pulled the stick when it said I could, before the last restart I let it do.

Someone at Ford probably forgot a line of code that tells it to write the XML file and stop, lol. And yeah, everything seems to work just fine, so I'm not going to sweat it.

Edit: Damn, a failed update sounds like a massive PITA. Did you take it to the dealer or what?

· Registered
2016 ecoboost premium
275 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Just because I'm a masochist, I tried the update again today and same deal. I let it run probably 5-6 times, and it looks like that's just how this update does, but it installs fine. I pulled the stick when it said I could, before the last restart I let it do.

Someone at Ford probably forgot a line of code that tells it to write the XML file and stop, lol. And yeah, everything seems to work just fine, so I'm not going to sweat it.

Edit: Damn, a failed update sounds like a massive PITA. Did you take it to the dealer or what?

there was something on an f150 forum about splitting the update into 2 parts so it will actually install. Which after trying like 7 times finally worked. If it didn’t it would be a corrupted module that Would need to be replaced. I think the module alone was like 700 usd plus programming from the ford dealer so if I did kill it I would probably just go for an aftermarket solution.

that was to get my 2016 to sync 3.0 so Apple CarPlay worked. Which did work but would have weird problems where sometimes I had no sound or even tho the phone was plugged in it would revert to Bluetooth audio which sounded worse.

I personally use the cyanlabs updater now as it wipes the stereo and fully reinstalls the software and overall just goes over smoother. However I think there is a limit on what cars it actually works for, I think 2020 and newer cars don’t work with the software or something like that but it’s worth checking out

· Registered
2,336 Posts
FWIW, I installed the 3.4.22251 update in my 21 Ranger last Thursday.

The update ran for about 15 minutes then rebooted Sync. It ran for a couple more minutes and I got a message to restart the truck (I always open the door and allow Sync to fully shut down on these prompts). It then ran for another minute or so when I got the message the update is complete and the USB stick could be removed. The message also said the update would take effect on the next start.

The only change I have noticed (and this may be wishful thinking on my part) is the fonts displayed on the nav screen seem sharper.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts