Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you all support it, I'd like this post to collect our group's gripes about SYNC 3 in one central thread. I feel like my vehicle's system needs a full-on exorcism. So I'm curious what others are experiencing - and if you know of any fixes!!

Something similar may already be created within MEB.net, but I couldn't find anything when searching. If there is something, please point me to it. If not, here's the 1st entry. I'll start small . . .

1. When driving at night, using AppLink's Pandora app, the album art for every artist goes to the system default - the blue & white LP record graphic. Then, if I touch any physical or touch cap buttons on the center stack, the actual album art comes back. I have to touch a button at each track change for the actual art to pop in. This does not happen when using USB mode. But, interestingly, the actual album cover art for USB is different than Pandora.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Had my first SYNC 3 event yesterday. It seemed to re-boot while still playing the FM station I was listening to. The Mustang graphic popped up, the screen went blank for a few seconds and then came back up like nothing happened. Have had no issue with CarPlay so far. I have version 2.0 (will check the build number this morning).

Taking a long trip this weekend so I will see if any other things "pop" up.

·
Super Moderator
6,074 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that when you're using any Applink, Ford says to be plugged into USB. You'll only typically get basic functions through bluetooth.
Sorry for being vague. I'm always plugged in. I was simply referring to using the USB input mode vs. Pandora applink mode.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2. Before I exit my car, I unplug my iPhone while Pandora or wired USB is running. Audio quickly defaults to whatever Sirius or FM station I might have been listening to. Perfect. Then, I shut ignition off. The next time I get in and fire up, the audio defaults to AM 530 static, not my previous exit setting. Drives me BONKERS.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
6,074 Posts
2. Before I exit my car, I unplug my iPhone while Pandora or wired USB is running. Audio quickly defaults to whatever Sirius or FM station I might have been listening to. Perfect. Then, I shut ignition off. The next time I get in and fire up, the audio defaults to AM 530 static, not my previous exit setting. Drives me BONKERS.
One of the "workarounds" for Sync 2 is to turn the radio OFF before shutting off the car. Then turn it on again after the car's started.
It eliminated some of the connection issues I had with the unit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So has anyone ever gotten a new update downloaded? I'm pretty sure is still have the same rev and build that came with the car eventhough I see the wifi link is working and it checks for updates. I've got automatic updates on, but I'm sure here have been none.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of the "workarounds" for Sync 2 is to turn the radio OFF before shutting off the car. Then turn it on again after the car's started.
It eliminated some of the connection issues I had with the unit.
Thanks. I'll give it a go and see what I get.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Carplay issues: I have the 2017 Premium model and I noticed that I have to wait for the Sync 3 to fully start before plugging in my iPhone or else it would only say "iPhone connected" without Carplay to work. Also replugging in the iPhone doesn't work. I recently updated from the 2.2 to the 3.0 software version but that didn't solve this issue either.

Anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
So has anyone ever gotten a new update downloaded? I'm pretty sure is still have the same rev and build that came with the car eventhough I see the wifi link is working and it checks for updates. I've got automatic updates on, but I'm sure here have been none.
Once or twice a week a message will pop across the top of the screen stating Sirus updates are complete. I believe these are updates for travel link since I did not renew my Sirus radio subscription after the 6 month trial. I did update from version 2.2 to 3.0 but I downloaded the update in the house and brought it to the car on a USB stick.

As far as issues occasionally all my Applink Icons will disappear but selecting look for Applink Apps brings them right back.

On very rare occasions the system locks up and I have no access or limited access to the Sync functions. Pushing the power button and fast forward buttons simultaneously for several seconds reboots the system and saves me having to stop the car and restart.

All in all I find Sync 3 to be very good and I am quite satisfied with it's performance. Even the acclaimed UConnect in my wife's Dodge has the occasional hicup.

I have tried Android Auto and CarPlay and they both work as advertised, I just don't find them to have anything compleling enough to be bothered getting my phone out and plugging it in everytime I get in the car when I can get what I need natively in Sync or over Bluetooth.

Dave

·
Registered
428 Posts
Google assist through Android auto is soooooo much better for phone calls and navigation. Its a one step process. Syn3 is not "call Rachael" "do you want to call Rachael?" "YES!" "Calling Rachael" Google. "Call Racheal" "calling Rachael" you can also send text via voice to text. Do maths and convertion comes in more handy then you think on the fly and use Spotify. I prefer android auto over sync3 tbh as it more fluid.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Biggest bug of Sync 3 is it will not allow you to upload your own custom wallpaper as the start up screen.
This was available in previous versions and was taken away.
(Sure, it can be done using Forscan, but most owners are not going to do that).

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Google assist through Android auto is soooooo much better for phone calls and navigation. Its a one step process. Syn3 is not "call Rachael" "do you want to call Rachael?" "YES!" "Calling Rachael" Google. "Call Racheal" "calling Rachael" you can also send text via voice to text. Do maths and convertion comes in more handy then you think on the fly and use Spotify. I prefer android auto over sync3 tbh as it more fluid.
As I said before that is not compelling enough compared to the nuisance of always having to plug the phone into USB to use Android Auto. Plus the Alexa Applink App gives me 90% of what Google does through Bluetooth and integrates into the factory nav system.

Dave

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sync only confirms who you want to call if you set that option to yes. I changed mine to confirm only because both Sync and Android Auto would call the wrong person at times.

So both Sync and Android Auto ask me before placing the call.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
As I said before that is not compelling enough compared to the nuisance of always having to plug the phone into USB to use Android Auto. Plus the Alexa Applink App gives me 90% of what Google does through Bluetooth and integrates into the factory nav system.

Dave
It takes like 2 seconds

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
2 seconds or not it is a nuisance to take the phone out of my holster and find the wire to plug it in. If Android Auto did something unique or significantly better than Sync/Alexa then I might change my mind. Plus the Android Auto screen looks like something from an 80s Atari game.

Dave

·
Registered
428 Posts
Lol First world problems a?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Carplay issues: I have the 2017 Premium model and I noticed that I have to wait for the Sync 3 to fully start before plugging in my iPhone or else it would only say "iPhone connected" without Carplay to work. Also replugging in the iPhone doesn't work. I recently updated from the 2.2 to the 3.0 software version but that didn't solve this issue either.

Anyone else seen this?
I have a similar replugging issue, but with a crazy twist; at the end of the day, engine start, screen comes up, iPhone plugged into USB (normal routine), and the phone doesn't give me my usual map to home. It comes up with a dance studio! I'll call out to Siri to give me a map to home, and "she" says "I don't know where home is. In fact, I know nothing about you." Seriously??? Replugging the phone does no good. Weird!

Nathan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts