Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came out of the office to find this treat. There was a small shred/ribbon of red paint that I pulled off as well. There was no car next to me when I found it. Good thing. With a ding this size, someone really put their back into it. Grrrrrr. 9 times out of 10, I park in the back 40 to avoid this crap.

IMG_2132.JPG IMG_2131.JPG

All repair tricks, or threads you can point me to, are appreciated. I had previously purchased my Race Red Motorcraft touch-up paint for some other minor chips I was going to take care of.

Thanks.

Matt

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
A--hole! Why cant people just be careful. They have no idea the grief they've caused. I will be at the garage tomorrow and will show that pic to our body guy. He'll have some advice thats good I'm sure.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Damn! My car is almost 6 weeks old and I park far away from everybody,except at church where they have wide spaces. Sorry to see that.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A--hole! Why cant people just be careful. They have no idea the grief they've caused. I will be at the garage tomorrow and will show that pic to our body guy. He'll have some advice thats good I'm sure.
Thanks. Much appreciated!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn! My car is almost 6 weeks old and I park far away from everybody,except at church where they have wide spaces. Sorry to see that.
Yeah, people suck sometimes. But . . . in the end . . . its a car and a total 1st world problem.

Part of me is just a bit excited to see how well I can fix it. I guess that's a sign that I'm growing up (47). :) The 'old' me would've waited in the parking lot for the other driver, or hit up security for the lot footage. Hmmmmmm. Actually, pulling the footage isn't a bad idea!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I took on the repair. Its the first time I went beyond simply dabbing some touch-up paint on a chip. And FYI . . this was my experience that I'm providing for reference. Your experience may be different.

Here's a short run-down of my process.

1. Purchase Motorcraft Touch Up Paint
IMG_2140.JPG

2. Using sanding tip to pick off loose paint and blend the edges
IMG_2210.JPG IMG_2212.JPG

3. Layer a few coats of paint on area over the course of a few days - to build up the paint depth.
IMG_2222.JPG IMG_2224.JPG

4. Wet sand w/2000 grit to blend area back to base paint. You'll end up very smooth to touch, with the hazy white effect of sanding.
IMG_2302.JPG IMG_2299.JPG

5. Use rubbing compound; apply/remove about 5-6 times

Resized_20170813_151413.jpeg

6. Use polishing compound; apply/remove about 3-4 times ---> Done.

Resized_20170813_151813.jpeg Resized_20170813_152526.jpeg Resized_20170813_152604.jpeg

The paint match isn't 100%, but its more than satisfactory for me. I'm happy with the result -- and am glad I kept my patience to do the repair correctly.

Now back to parking .5 miles away from anyone.

Cheers.

Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Wow! Nice work!!

·
Registered
876 Posts
I feel your pain. Trying to keep a nice car in mint condition is a battle. If it's not door dings, it's rocks being thrown at the front of your car from trucks driving down the freeway. That being said, I guess we all have to mentally prepare ourselves for the eventual minor paint repair. There are a lot of good videos on how to do this on you tube. Some of them also come with recommendations on what tools to get to do the job right. It looks as though you've done a good job of repairing your paint chip. Hopefully, you won't have to employ those skills in the future???

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, fellas. I've come a long way from using Soft-Scrub after getting pin-striped by a shopping cart.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts