Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Eco w/ 6 speed manual
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys; got a question. I'm on my first tank of fuel; looked at the mileage and was surprised to see 17 mpg city. Is this going to improve as the 4 banger gets a few break in miles? Most people report around 21 or 22 mpg city. I am still in the learning curve with this car, so not sure what to expect and when to expect it. My pickup truck (Off road w/V6, auto) gets 17 mpg in town and my other mustang ('68 GT 390, 4 speed) gets 14 mpg in town. Let me hear your stories so I can set a baseline. Many thanks.

·
Registered
909 Posts
My 18 6-speed usually gets around 24-26, according to the onboard computer. That would be mostly highway cruising miles. If I'm on deserted back roads, I tend to be a bit heavier on the throttle (on/off) and it'll drop a bit, but maybe around 22. I kinda of recall it being lower at first, so that could be a thing. Unfortunately, I didn't track or keep any records.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I average 22-24 in city with 10R80 driving relatively light on the throttle. 19-20 if in sport mode and having fun. I have gotten best on interstate of 35.5 over 240-mile trip. Need to let it get broke in for 1000+ miles.

BD

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Hey guys; got a question. I'm on my first tank of fuel; looked at the mileage and was surprised to see 17 mpg city. Is this going to improve as the 4 banger gets a few break in miles? Most people report around 21 or 22 mpg city. I am still in the learning curve with this car, so not sure what to expect and when to expect it. My pickup truck (Off road w/V6, auto) gets 17 mpg in town and my other mustang ('68 GT 390, 4 speed) gets 14 mpg in town. Let me hear your stories so I can set a baseline. Many thanks.
14 mph on your GT is excellent! I only remember getting around 10 mph, which indicates that you have much better driving habits than I!
As for the Ecoboost, when it was brand new and my wife used it as her daily driver... We averaged 32 miles to the gallon of 93 octane fuel.
However, since modifications and tuning, during competition... I average around 5 mpg of ethanol.

·
Registered
Follow my Instagram @ boosted . jt
97 Posts
Driving habits affect it alot, you kindof get used to the turbo and the efficiency bands as you learn the car. A big one that destroys mpg is putting in 87 octane, on the forum most of us use 91/93 so we get pretty good MPG's when we really want to.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
9 Posts
My 2020 with the 10R80 is showing average of 28.3 mpg over the last 1200 miles with the onboard data. My fill up calculations I am getting 415 miles out of a 15 gallon fill up which is 27.67 mpg approx so the onboard data is close. I run 90 octane non-ethanol and I have 21,450 miles on it. Next fill up I am going to run the entire tank on Sport mode and have some paddle shift fun. Will let you know how much I get then, I expect a drop 😉

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
On strictly city driving I’m typically seeing the equivalent to 21-22 mpUSg, with an A10. My combined lifetime average has been about 25 mpUSg. Best I ever saw was 35 mpUSg. Yours will likely improve after you’ve put on 1000-1500 miles.

·
Registered
2022 Eco w/ 6 speed manual
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses. As I mentioned; the car is still on the first tank of fuel. I did not purchase this gas, it was dealer installed when I picked up the car.. Probably low octane and that will definitely change this weekend. Decided to road trip the car around Lake Okeechobee, that should finish off this tank of gas. Will let you know how this turns out with the mpg..

Oh yeah, I may have been optimistic on the GT mileage. Better half tells me more like 12 mpg. My bad.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
My 2020 has been getting 14-17, but I almost exclusively drive around town about 5 miles a day on average lol.
Got a lead foot and enjoying the great low end torque will get those numbers for sure. :);)

BD

·
Registered
98 Posts
Around 30mpg (converted for the US guys) for 300km trip yesterday that included highway, a fun mountain climb (Macquarie Pass) running with a historic Nota Fang https://www.notasportscars.com/ and return on the highway.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
My eco makes its peak torque of 380 RWTQ at 2600 rpm and drops from there to about 300 by 6K whereas a V8 does not make peak torque till close to 5k or above so yes, I mean low rpm torque which is 2500 to 3k rpm comparatively to 5K plus.

Thats what a turbo/supercharger does is increase torque at lower rpms than a N/A motor.

BD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts