Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the Chief Operating Officer, Mark Fields, the new Mustang is a "young person's car." What exactly does that mean you ask? What does a young person's car do that makes it a young person's car?

In short, it has "stuff." The operative term here is "integration." Meaning, it has Bluetooth, and technology. Mark said this about young car enthusiasts, ""First they want to look good in it, and secondly when you look at the technology that's in the vehicle, that's important to a young consumer." I can only imagine how tight his BVDs were when he said that.

What happened to talking about the upgraded suspension, and the exhilaration of driving? Sure, I like to have my phone connect to my stereo, but it doesn't work right about 60% of the time, and that doesn't make me think twice about getting into my car, that I love and am enthusiastic about. It is the pure sense of joy and acceleration when I put my right foot down on the loud pedal. I am thinking about the next corner, and sensing the grip of my tires on the ever changing road surface. I am listening to the spool and blow off of the turbo that is directly tied to my right foot. Staying focused on the road coming at me at or below the speed limit... (That is in there so you guys don't get the idea that I break any posted speed limits. ;)) That is what muscley cars are about. They are about power and handling. You don't hear Porsche touting the iPhone integration as standard on the masthead of the 911 Turbo. You can get a cable for your iPhone for like $300 from Porsche in the aftermarket if you want your phone to integrate that bad.

Bring back exciting cars with exciting performance, and leave the integration in the footer. Not the header. Maybe then we will have fewer teens involved in serious accidents over dangerous mistakes like texting while driving.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I get a little tired of the references to "young person", just what is a "young person"? Perhaps Mr. Fields needs to see who invented the technology he is touting. The basic tech is decades old and the current use is simply an expansion of what was used in the past. I began using a computer, in the military, in 1970 and continued to my retirement in 1983. I then went to work with DoD as a civilian, and had my first cell phone in 1991, when I put it in the government vehicle I was assigned. Don't forget, the first computer was invented in the 1930's!

We currently have cell phones, tablets, and four computers, each, in the house. My wife does all her photos digitally and has several thousand loaded on two external hard drives. So, "Young person" is a relative term. :)

Reactions: ZStang and Bftuuri

·
Super Moderator
6,325 Posts
I'm 56 years young and still love the Mustang.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Speaking on behalf of the mindlessly interconnected young people Mark refers to, I'd like to say that he could not be more incorrect in his assumption that a Mustang needs "technology" in order to be a "young person's car". I may be 29, but I have wanted a Mustang since I first saw a pair of old 60's era stangs sitting out front of a garage.

Mark Fields can apply that generality to lots of other tamer Ford vehicles that are up for grabs, but I don't think any of us are the type to buy a Mustang unless you really want it for the car that it is. Not the bells and whistles it comes with. You look at this car and you want it because it's a Mustang. The looks, the pedigree; this is a car that you want to drive. If you're a young person who considers Bluetooth or all the other bells and whistles a deal breaker, a car like a Mustang would have been wasted on you anyway.

That being said, I am definitely looking forward to having the rear view camera. But a BLIS system? No thank you. That's what eyeballs and spatial awareness are for.

Reactions: Mean Green

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Gees I Feel like a youngster at 31 compared to some of you(no offense meant by that) I been a mustang fanatic since I was 11 or 12.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I'm 68 years young, an original owner 64 1/2 and just received our new ecoboost with performance package and 6 speed and I enjoy driving it as much as my original. Can't wait to get 1000 miles so I can have some fun!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am 48 and traded my 2014 5.0 for my EB on Saturday. I love how this car handles without the PP and with 20" wheels. It still rides better that the 14 did.

·
Registered
7 Posts
age has nothing to do with the kind of car you have. I had a camaro at 24 mustang at 26 hummer at 34 and eb at 36 and still have all of them so it comes down to who can afford it not what age....

·
Super Moderator
6,325 Posts
My son's first car in 2004 was an Impala SS ... the 1968 version!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Another satisfied 47 y/o owner checking in. Take that Ford demographics genius. I have the fancy tech version of the stereo too, but since I don't have a fancy smartphone to go with it (I hate phones in general), I don't utilize much of what it can do. I did load up a big SD card with some good music though, so there's that.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
I can see how they are trying to appeal to the young crowd but some of them are loyal to there brand( Subaru, Mitsubishi, Honda, etc etc) but it does help ford that they did a turbo engine. Now lets get some mods done and got show the world what these motors can do

1 - 20 of 135 Posts