Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded to the 160 degree thermostat, our cars need all the cooling benefits we can get. it would only make sense to upgrade...

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes I actually have changed mine and it keeps the cylinder head temps at 185 before the change I would see 225 plus at times.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just started looking for 1 online, kind of scary how identical it looks to the Mazda thermostat.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've noticed that my car with the Mishi IC and radiator has trouble getting above 170-180 in the winter mornings. Putting a lower temp t-stat would make it harder for the engine to warm up during these months. If you live in hot, humid weather or race the car frequently then this might be a good idea to keep the engine cool.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Folks please keep in mind if you are running your car hard for extended periods a colder thermostat will not have any effect on the coolant temperature. Under these conditions the thermostat will be wide open and your coolant temperature will be a function of how much heat the radiator can reject.

Under light load conditions where the radiator has more capacity than needed a colder thermostat can regulate the coolant temperature at a lower level. BUT, under these conditions you want the coolant at the highest temperature possible for improved efficiency and reduced emissions.

The other side effect of a lower temperature thermostat is that fuel can condense on cylinder walls and wash away lubricant resulting in more wear & more fuel dilution of the oil.

I would not recommend going to a lower temp thermostat unless you have a very specific issue you are trying to address. It is certainly not something you should do to a mildly modified engine that spends the majority of it's time on the street.

Dave

·
Registered
655 Posts
Dave is correct. In the old days, some manufacturers would have different thermostat specs (MGs and Triumphs come to mind) for hot and cold climates, but that was more to get the engine running at a higher temperature in the cold, not so much the other way around.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Where is the t-stat located on a Mustang Ecoboost?
it's in the plastic housing under the intake manifold. it has the lower radiator hose and the hot water bypass connected to it. Dave is correct though, changing the thermostat will not increase the cooling systems ability to cool the engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
it's in the plastic housing under the intake manifold. it has the lower radiator hose and the hot water bypass connected to it. Dave is correct though, changing the thermostat will not increase the cooling systems ability to cool the engine.
Thank you, I did find it shortly after I posted this. I'm wondering if it's easier to remove it from above or below?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you, I did find it shortly after I posted this. I'm wondering if it's easier to remove it from above or below?
definitely below. there are 3 bolts. 8mm head. i was mistaken though. the extra hose is a heater hose. the hot water bypass is above the housing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts