Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Honestly though, radiator was cake I did it in 2 hours by myself using a lift, first time doing a rad. Can’t wait for summer to dog on it a bit.
I idle a lot listening to music sometimes, so I know Itl be better for my car long term

·
Registered
5 Posts
@SVO Mk II & @FreedomPenguin
Either of you with the Mishimoto Radiator also have an aftermarket Intercooler?
I will change mine out as well later on down the line but I'm worried about fitment because I have a LVLs street IC.
Goodness the hoses, tank and thermostat were a pain in the arse!!! Can't believe my fluid was actually kind of dirty.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I will change mine out as well later on down the line but I'm worried about fitment because I have a LVLs street IC.
Goodness the hoses, tank and thermostat were a pain in the arse!!! Can't believe my fluid was actually kind of dirty.
yes. I have CPE intercooler below it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Given all the cooling issues with these cars, has anyone tried to change the radiator coolant-to-water ratio for better cooling?

Unless you're in a hot climate location a 70/30 water to coolant ratio usually improves cooling (pure water is the best at cooling, but terribly corrosive). I live in Seattle so I go with a 75/25 water to coolant ratio. This puts the freezing point at 12.5F and the boiling point at 218F, but combined with a 16 lb radiator cap increases the boiling point to 268 deg F. (Boiling point goes up 3 deg for 1 PSI of pressure)

-If you go with a more dillute coolant mixture like this you need more anti-corrosion+water wetter additive. Something like VP Racing's CoolDown. -It's more expensive using pre-mixed coolant but I use a mix of VP racing Stay Frosty Race-Ready coolant, which is just distilled water with the right amount of VP Racing cool down additive and their Stay Frost High-Perf coolant.

If the ECU is pulling power due to low octane fuel in the tank or high oil temps, it won't help, but reduced coolant / head temps do help keep knock at bay for longer.

-I'm also curious whether these ecoboost engines have piston oil squirters or not? They're GREAT at taking out heat and increasing longevity under boost and high temps if you add a large enough capacity oil cooler...

Adam
P.S. This is my first post! -No I don't have an Ecoboost Mustang, but I'm definitely considering it and doing my research... Ecoboost Mustang and 340i / 440i are at the top of my list for my next car at the moment.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, I installed the Mishi rad with an oversized intercooler. I was still having coolant/oil temp issues at HPDE. Eventually, I downsized the intercooler to a Mishi (clone) sized one, relocated the Mishi oil cooler, and boxed everything in. This seems to have helped to reduced both coolant and oil temps by about 15-20 deg.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yes, I installed the Mishi rad with an oversized intercooler. I was still having coolant/oil temp issues at HPDE. Eventually, I downsized the intercooler to a Mishi (clone) sized one, relocated the Mishi oil cooler, and boxed everything in. This seems to have helped to reduced both coolant and oil temps by about 15-20 deg.
View attachment 40277
That's a nice setup! Mine is more under development, but the air dams do make a difference.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Given all the cooling issues with these cars, has anyone tried to change the radiator coolant-to-water ratio for better cooling?
What cooling issues? I have owned an Ecoboost Mustang since January 2015 and I have never heard of any particular issues with the cooling system. I know some folks have experienced elevated coolant temps during long track day sessions but the PP cars that are intended for that type of use have a bigger radiator and it seems to be a non issue for them.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
621 Posts
Intercooler gets hot and over heats everything else in my case. With my OEM, I'd heat soak at about 1000 feet on a 1320 foot track. With my current setup, I'm still hitting a charge temperature of 135 degrees to 150 degrees by the end of the 1/4 mile.
But I hope to get that down below 125 degrees in the future.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What cooling issues? I have owned an Ecoboost Mustang since January 2015 and I have never heard of any particular issues with the cooling system. I know some folks have experienced elevated coolant temps during long track day sessions but the PP cars that are intended for that type of use have a bigger radiator and it seems to be a non issue for them.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk
The cooling issues are primarily related to track use, especially road course/HPDE. I can confirm that the PP is not adequate for serious track use. I have finally got my 2018 PP car to a point where it appears that I can run it hard for 20 min HPDE session without the ECU pulling boost due to elevated coolant or oil temps. To get to this point, I added a Mishi rad (50% larger than PP), Mishi oil cooler with it's own cooling port cut into the lower valence, and boxing in of the rad and the oil cooler. This was after installing a larger intercooler to solve the heat soak there, GT PP 6 piston Brembos to solve the brake fade after a few hot laps, and the Ford Performance Track Pack suspension to improve handing at the track.

The PP package is fun for the street, but if you are a pretty serious track junkie, it's not up to the task.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you're having cooling issues due to extreme conditions (racing), upgrading your radiator is what needs to be done. Amazes me people still think a lower tstat will have any affect on coolant temps. If it's open, it's open. Opening it earlier doesn't translate to keeping your coolant temps down...that's up to your radiator and fans. What it does translate to, as one person here found, is taking your car longer to reach operating temps.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts