Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car went into the shop for a transmission leak “the leak was right where the trans meets the engine “ and before the mechanic pulled the trans down he wanted to make sure there was no metal shavings in the oil pan before doing all the work of replacing just a seal . He then sent me this and told me this is really bad news . He said It’s pointless to just reseal it and leave it like that because he thinks I’ll be back with the same leak issue 3 months down the road or worse the trans not working at all . The two options he gave me was rebuild the transmission or buy a remanufactured one . I went with the rebuild one
Hood Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper

Liquid Hood Fluid Automotive lighting Automotive tire

· Registered
1,656 Posts
How many miles on it and what year car. 6R80 or 10R80 trans. I am not seeing much put of the normal except for very dirty fluid and a few small particles/slivers of something. Are the particles steel, aluminum or sealer and the buildup of fine steel on the magnet is normal wear in of all the steel parts of the tranny.

I don't see anything that sends up a red flag myself.

BD

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles on it and what year car. 6R80 or 10R80 trans. I am not seeing much put of the normal except for very dirty fluid and a few small particles/slivers of something. Are the particles steel, aluminum or sealer and the buildup of fine steel on the magnet is normal wear in of all the steel parts of the tranny.

I don't see anything that sends up a red flag myself.

BD
Right ??? That’s what I was thinking it seems normal besides the fluid to me but the mechanic said that it’s really bad . And It’s a 6r80 automatic 2015 with 104k miles . They gonna start rebuilding the trans tomorrow supposedly…

· Registered
3,298 Posts
Right ??? That’s what I was thinking it seems normal besides the fluid to me but the mechanic said that it’s really bad . And It’s a 6r80 automatic 2015 with 104k miles . They gonna start rebuilding the trans tomorrow supposedly…
Get a second and even THIRD opinion. Rebuilding a trans is major money. I wouldn't jus throw it at one man's diagnosis.

I have a 2016 with the same German built trans. Question: Did you ever change the transmission fluid?

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a second and even THIRD opinion. Rebuilding a trans is major money. I wouldn't jus throw it at one man's diagnosis.

I have a 2016 with the same German built trans. Question: Did you ever change the transmission fluid?
Honestly never since I bought it 2 years ago . And it looks like the previous owner never changed it neither

· Registered
1,656 Posts
I would just have the filter, fluid and all external seals replaced and have it reinstalled since I don't see a huge amount of friction material in the pan or any other red flags. You will just be wasting money to have it rebuilt and possibly end up with more issues than just a fluid leak.

Just my humble opinion.

BD

Reactions: gatornek

· Registered
3,298 Posts
Honestly never since I bought it 2 years ago . And it looks like the previous owner never changed it neither
Ford doesn't do enough job of advertising the fact that the tranny fluid and filer should be changed; and probably by design as having to rebuild or replace a trans might very well get you into a new car and possibly mean more sales for them. But yeah....brand new gears rubbing up on each other are bound to shed shavings into the fluid. Pretty happy that I changed mine at about 30K. I'm at 75K now and am probably needing another change. Good luck and keep us posted.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
Back in the pre 2000 vehicles the normal trans fluid change intervals were every 15k but with today's improved fluids I will still change every 30K myself. Its the pay me now mindset versus pay me more later game.

BD

Reactions: gatornek

· Registered
6 Posts
The Government has forced the automakers to extend all oil changes to save the environment, Not the car.

First, you will find a lot of BAD information on the WWW. Do not trust what you read or see, the folks on YouTube mean well but many give you the wrong information.
I am a former member of the S.A.E. The Society of Automotive Engineers. So I will double or triple-check what I write.

The first thing I suggest is to go to the Official Ford website for maintenance, NOT the dealers' website.

Go to https://www.ford.com/support/maintenance-schedule/ and fill out the information on THE VIN of your car.

I just bought a 2017 mustang Ecoboost Premium convertible for my wife. I have been on the internet looking for information for days and most of it is wrong.
The ford website SUCKS. .

· Registered
6 Posts
Since I only care about my 2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertable and the only good Ford Owners manual I have found is https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/servicemanuals/ford/2017-mustang.pdf this one. This manual covers many different models of engines and transmissions.
Go to page 1 Table of Contents and click on MAINTENANCE PAGE 213, it has pictures and descriptions of items under the hood of 2.3L ECOBOOST, NEXT PAGE IS 3.7, NEXT IS 5.0.
Page 216 is how to check the engine oil level. But they do not tell you how often you should check your engine oil.!
Internal composition engines can use oil or leak oil. I recommend checking the oil level at every full tank of gasoline for at least the first 2 months of use. If the oil level goes below halfway between the full and low mark add the correct oil to get it back to the full mark.

Always check your engine oil level It's YOUR responsibility. If you run low or out of oil you will have to pay for the repair. These cars do NOT have a LOW OIL LEVEL indicator on the dash. They have an OIL Pressure low light and or gauge, but when that comes on the damage may have already been done to your engine if it is low on the oil level.

What kind of oil to use? On page 216 top right side item 8, See Capacities and Specifications (page 279). Click on that page number to be taken to page 279.
CAPACITIES AND SPECIFICATIONS - 2.3L ECOBOOST™
It shows all the engines by size and their capacities for each item. The next page shows the Specification of the fluids.
Recommended motor oil (U.S.): WSS-M2C946-A Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil X0-5W30-QSP NOTE: the EcoBoost is the only engine to use 5W-30

Fords Maintenance pages below can be copied from the Owners manual to print from page 419 thu 425.
WHEN to change engine oil and filter.PAGE 420.
Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor™ Your vehicle is equipped with an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor that determines when you should change the engine oil based on how your vehicle is used. By using several important factors in its calculations, the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduces environmental waste at the same time.
This means you do not have to remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule. Your vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by displaying a message in the information display.

The following table provides examples of vehicle use and its impact on oil change intervals. It is a guideline only. Actual oil change intervals depend on several factors and generally decrease with the severity of use.

ENGINE OIL INTERVAL VEHICLE USE AND EXAMPLE;
Normal 7,000–10,000 mi (12,000–16,000 km) Normal commuting with highway driving No, or moderate, load or towing Flat to moderately hilly roads No extended idling

Severe 5,000–7,000 mi (8,000–11,999 km) Moderate to heavy load or towing Mountainous or off-road conditions Extended idling Extended hot or cold operation

Extreme 3,000–5,000 mi (4,800–7,999 km) Maximum load or towing Extreme hot or cold operation

Normal Maintenance Intervals
At every oil change interval as indicated by the information display* Change the engine oil and filter.**
Rotate tires, inspect tire wear and measure tread depth.
Perform a multi-point inspection (recommended).
Inspect the automatic transmission fluid level (if equipped with a dipstick). Consult your dealer for requirements.
Inspect the brake pads, rotors, hoses, and parking brake.
Inspect the engine cooling system strength and hoses.
Inspect the exhaust system and heat shields.
Inspect the rear axle and U-joints.

Scheduled Maintenance
At every oil change interval as indicated by the information display*
Inspect the half-shaft boots. Inspect the steering linkage, ball joints, suspension, tie-rod ends, driveshaft and U-joints. Lubricate any areas with grease fittings.
Inspect the wheels and related components for abnormal noise, wear, looseness or drag.

* Do not exceed one year or 10,000 mi (16,000 km) between service intervals.
** Reset the Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor after engine oil and filter changes.

Other maintenance items Note 1; 1 Perform these maintenance items within 3,000 mi (4,800 km) of the last engine oil and filter change. Do not exceed the designated distance for the interval.
Every 20,000 mi Replace cabin air filter. (32,000 km)
Every 30,000 mi Replace engine air filter. (48,000 km)
At 100,000 mi 2 (160,000 km)Change engine coolant. NOTE 2; 2 Initial replacement at six years or 100,000 mi (160,000 km), then every three years or 50,000 mi (80,000 km)
Every 100,000 mi (160,000 km) Replace spark plugs.
Inspect accessory drive belt(s).NOTE3. 3 After the initial inspection, inspect every other oil change until replaced.
Every 150,000 mi (240,000 km) Change automatic transmission fluid and filter.
Change manual transmission fluid. Replace accessory drive belt(s). Change rear axle fluid.

There is more to come on SPECIAL OPERATING CONDITIONS SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE.

· Registered
6 Posts
SPECIAL OPERATING CONDITIONS SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE.
Operating in dusty or sandy conditions (such as unpaved or dusty roads)
Use the Ford Support DEP owners manual on pages 423-425 to copy and paste for these operating conditions.

Automatic transmission oil and filter changes;
on page 221 the Owners manual reads; AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID CHECK If required, have an authorized dealer check and change the transmission fluid at the correct service interval. See Scheduled Maintenance (page 417). Reads: The automatic transmission does not have a transmission fluid dipstick.

My 2017 has an Automatic Transmission 6R80 model and it has a dipstick. See attachment.
I have spent hours looking for a good video that shows the correct procedure for filling the oil to the proper levels. I have NOT found any.
But, I did find the MANUFACTURES GENERAL PROCEDURES. see attachment.
PICT. of my trans oil.

I live in Las Vegas NV where it's HOT, so I treat my vehicles to excessive heat and dust applications.

NOTE; There are different Trans. oil pan gaskets used by manufacturers of the filter and the gasket. the newer ones like Ford use a steel rubberized gasket and others use all rubberized. these gaskets require different torque values. Use the correct torque setting for the appropriate gasket.

Hope you find this information useful.

Happy Motoring.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts