Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car went into the shop for a transmission leak “the leak was right where the trans meets the engine “ and before the mechanic pulled the trans down he wanted to make sure there was no metal shavings in the oil pan before doing all the work of replacing just a seal . He then sent me this and told me this is really bad news . He said It’s pointless to just reseal it and leave it like that because he thinks I’ll be back with the same leak issue 3 months down the road or worse the trans not working at all . The two options he gave me was rebuild the transmission or buy a remanufactured one . I went with the rebuild one
Hood Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper

Liquid Hood Fluid Automotive lighting Automotive tire

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles on it and what year car. 6R80 or 10R80 trans. I am not seeing much put of the normal except for very dirty fluid and a few small particles/slivers of something. Are the particles steel, aluminum or sealer and the buildup of fine steel on the magnet is normal wear in of all the steel parts of the tranny.

I don't see anything that sends up a red flag myself.

BD
Right ??? That’s what I was thinking it seems normal besides the fluid to me but the mechanic said that it’s really bad . And It’s a 6r80 automatic 2015 with 104k miles . They gonna start rebuilding the trans tomorrow supposedly…

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a second and even THIRD opinion. Rebuilding a trans is major money. I wouldn't jus throw it at one man's diagnosis.

I have a 2016 with the same German built trans. Question: Did you ever change the transmission fluid?
Honestly never since I bought it 2 years ago . And it looks like the previous owner never changed it neither

1 - 3 of 3 Posts