Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I would think that difference in cooling capacity or corrosion protection between 50/50 and 60/40 is going to be negliglable.

You are way over thinking this. Just drsin the system flush with water, put in 50% of the system capacity with concentrated coolant, top off with distilled water and call it a day.

Dave

·
Registered
692 Posts
The move from 50/50 to 60/40 is going to change the heat-carrying capacity by less than 10% (if my math is correct). According to Wikipedia, "Pure ethylene glycol has a specific heat capacity about one half that of water. So, while providing freeze protection and an increased boiling point, ethylene glycol lowers the specific heat capacity of water mixtures relative to pure water. A 1:1 mix by mass has a specific heat capacity of about 3140 J/(kg·°C) (0.75 BTU/(lb·°F)), three quarters that of pure water, thus requiring increased flow rates in same system comparisons with water." Ethylene Glycol

Broken down water-to-glycol percentages;
100% = 1.0 BTU/lb-°F
50/50 = 0.75 BTU/lb-°F
60/40 = 0.80 BTU/lb-°F
50/50 to 60/40 is just over a 9% change (0.09375)

You could probably run just fine with the 60/40 IF you knew how much corrosion protection and water pump lube you'd be losing, and, consequently, how much more often you'd need to flush/refill. 'Not work the gamble, in my eyes...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you to both you guys. Good info. The reason I'm "overthinking" this, is because the coolant capacity is 9.5 quarts. so 1/2 of that is OVER one gallon of antifreeze, and that's not even giving consideration that I have the PerfPack radiator, so that might be good for another half quart of capacity. Since I plan on skipping the Dexcool and sticking with Motorcraft, the best I can find VC3B is about $30 a gallon delivered. So essentially, I formulated my question on

1) buying only ONE gallon of antifreeze, so I wasn't spending another $30 for basically 1-2 quarts.

2) It's hot down here anyway. So I figured, if I ENSURED to pour one gallon of the antifreeze, I would AT LEAST be assured of 40%.

But I think I am agreeing with Nater, should probably stick with 50/50 unless you are trying some specific racing/autocross application. Thought I'd be cheap, but I guess I am ponying up another $30. All good.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Since I plan on skipping the Dexcool and sticking with Motorcraft, the best I can find VC3B is about $30 a gallon delivered.
Save your self a buck and get the Prestone Dexcool. The Motorcraft is just relabeled Prestone anyway.

Dave

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I think I might be leaning back towards the Prestone Dexcool.

I went early this morning to the parts department at my local dealer, and the parts dude told me they don't carry anymore "orange" and that everything is "yellow" now.

I know I'm doing a flush anyway, so if I wanted to change, I suppose I could (he also said they could 'mix') but I'm figuring ...

1) Is Ford really forcing all their 'orange' cars to 'yellow'? Or is this some rule only at this particular dealer? Unfortunately, the latest usage chart I could find was from 2016. A lot has happened since then. LOL. https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/ford-parts/resources/motorcraftpdf/Antifreeze_Coolant_Usage_Chart.pdf

2) If Ford is truly 'phasing out' "orange", and forcing customers to 'something else', then I feel better about choosing the 'alternative' Prestone.

Anyone have any info about changing out 'orange' as standard, by Ford? I know there was a TSB for F150s & Transits, or any car with the V6...not the Mustang.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10144911-9999.pdf

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Here you go. Documentation saying to use Yellow instead of Orange.

The yellow is supposed to be good for 200k miles but if you use it in a car originally spec'd for orange you still need to follow the orange schedule. View attachment 36735

Dave
Thanks Dave. But I think you attached the install for the GT350 bucket by accident. 😅 Would love to see that spec sheet if you have it. Thanks.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The yellow is supposed to be good for 200k miles but if you use it in a car originally spec'd for orange you still need to follow the orange schedule.
Brawndo's got electrolytes. It's what Mustang's crave!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Here's where I am:

Before I did end up seeing DAve's documentation, I did chicken out and bought the "orange". It got here last Friday, but since I was out, I saw it today. I just figured if I'm doing this for the FIRST time, then I should keep the amount of variables as minimal as possible. Maybe in another couple of years, after this go round, and being more confident in what I need to do to get a "proper flush", I will change over to the yellow. I do want to ensure that every drop is out and I don't mix. That is my goal.

So anyway, I got the orange, and I immediately notice that the expiration dates are past. One was from December, the other two expired in February. I got these on Amazon. They would be a fairly simple return at Kohls. Do you guys see any big deal in using "expired" coolant? I've read conflicting accounts. Most of what I read though, says you can use coolant for a good two years after its expiration date. Two years would be enough time for me.

Thoughts?

IMG_1447.jpg

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I have never seen anything other than antifreeze unopened having anything but an indefinite shelf life.

I have a bottle of Autozone green antifreeze and a bottle of orange Prestone Dex Cool in the garage and neither of them have a shelf life marking.

Are you sure those dates on the labels aren't the date the material was bottled? I couldn't make out any words to the effect; "expires on date marked".

Most processed materials have some sort of date code or lot code marked on the container to make it easier to recall if it is found to be defective after shipment.

Dave

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have never seen anything other than antifreeze unopened having anything but an indefinite shelf life.
If you say so, I definitely trust that and it assuages my fear.

Are you sure those dates on the labels aren't the date the material was bottled?
I am not sure. When I saw the dates, I did some googling, and came across some forums where they discussed Motorcraft coolant having a shelf life. But I definitely don't claim to know. If your Prestone doesnt have one, then I'd be inclined to say that maybe Motocraft uses this to drive inventory? idk. I guess it very well could be a 'born on' date, like beer.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Are there words that say expiration date near the date stamp? If there isn't i can say with confidence it is a lot/date code.

Dave

21 - 34 of 34 Posts