Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started my tuning process with pd tuning and I asked for more of a conservative tune. I am okay with leaving power on the table for some more safety as this is my daily driver. I was wondering if my experience is normal. I got sent the base map and on my first email with the data-logs I asked for a more conservative tune. And I got an email back saying my tune is basically done. The car feels fine so I am not really worried but reading through the forum other people seem to say they go through 4-6 or even 8 revisions and I just got the base map and he said I’m basically done with my tune. How come other people even when they ask for conservative tunes go back and forth with multiple revisions and I just got finished with basically the base map? I also find that getting email responses is a little iffy, sometimes it takes a lot longer than 3-5 days like it says on the website, I know hes a busy guy so I understand but I was wondering if this was the case for you guys as well? I get most of my responses in abt 4-6 days which is normal, but I have had to wait up to 2 weeks for a response.

·
Registered
743 Posts
My guess on this would be that since your car is basically not much more than stock, PD has performed many iterations of that tune until they basically have their equivalent of a "canned" tune for your car. Especially since you asked for conservative, more iterations on what for them is their best of breed tune for what you have would have been a waste of yours and their time. Once you start trying to either push limits or start putting on power adders where a tune is required to account for the difference, either for power or engine longevity, then you start seeing more of that back and forth cycle of revisions you mentioned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess on this would be that since your car is basically not much more than stock, PD has performed many iterations of that tune until they basically have their equivalent of a "canned" tune for your car. Especially since you asked for conservative, more iterations on what for them is their best of breed tune for what you have would have been a waste of yours and their time. Once you start trying to either push limits or start putting on power adders where a tune is required to account for the difference, either for power or engine longevity, then you start seeing more of that back and forth cycle of revisions you mentioned.
That makes sense ty for the response. What would your definition of not much more than stock be? I feel like I have added a bunch of things to my car including a downpipe which people say you need a tune to run your car safely. Do you think just the base file is good enough to run the car safely?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Most of the down pipes that sell in any kind of volume are a known quantity with regards to what those flow deltas are and the required changes in the wastegate tables. It’s when you start throwing combinations of upgrade pieces in various brands/sizes that the revision iterations are truly required since you aren’t going to the edge (or beyond) in search of that last pony. The biggest reason for a tune in your case is for engine safety. Specifically the higher flow gained by your down pipe means the wastegate tables will no longer be accurate for control of the turbo wastegate, potentially leading to overboost and engine failure.

Reactions: Elamcup

·
Registered
47 Posts
That makes sense ty for the response. What would your definition of not much more than stock be? I feel like I have added a bunch of things to my car including a downpipe which people say you need a tune to run your car safely. Do you think just the base file is good enough to run the car safely?
I have a Mishimoto catted downpipe, this is in the Notes at the bottom of the page;
This downpipe cannot be used with the stock ECU programming. The customer must retune the vehicle's ECU after installing the downpipe.
Tom

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have a Mishimoto catted downpipe, this is in the Notes at the bottom of the page;
This downpipe cannot be used with the stock ECU programming. The customer must retune the vehicle's ECU after installing the downpipe.
Tom
This ⬆ for the reason I stated.

Reactions: Elamcup

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
My base tune was for a stock long block with the stage 3, basic bolt ons; filter, Intercooler and catted downpipe, running on 93 octane.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just started my tuning process with pd tuning and I asked for more of a conservative tune. I am okay with leaving power on the table for some more safety as this is my daily driver. I was wondering if my experience is normal. I got sent the base map and on my first email with the data-logs I asked for a more conservative tune. And I got an email back saying my tune is basically done. The car feels fine so I am not really worried but reading through the forum other people seem to say they go through 4-6 or even 8 revisions and I just got the base map and he said I’m basically done with my tune. How come other people even when they ask for conservative tunes go back and forth with multiple revisions and I just got finished with basically the base map? I also find that getting email responses is a little iffy, sometimes it takes a lot longer than 3-5 days like it says on the website, I know hes a busy guy so I understand but I was wondering if this was the case for you guys as well? I get most of my responses in abt 4-6 days which is normal, but I have had to wait up to 2 weeks for a response.
Honestly, I would just hit up Ryan and tell him your concerns. I have an email thread with him with dozens of messages because I had some questions throughout my process. It may take time to get responses because yes, he does get really busy at times. But his tunes are top notch. I have around 35 -40 thousand miles on his tune so far with no issues.

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,274 Posts
This ∆∆∆∆

1 - 9 of 9 Posts