Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Great video. I signed up for your channel. I think there are some members that have tried 4 FULL TURNS and it turned out it was a little too much preload. Did you find it okay? I know most people go with 3 FULL TURNS. Turbosmart instructions for their own wastegate and springs states 2mm, which is approximately 2 FULL TURNS.

·
Registered
2019 Mustang EcoBoost
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great video. I signed up for your channel. I think there are some members that have tried 4 FULL TURNS and it turned out it was a little too much preload. Did you find it okay? I know most people go with 3 FULL TURNS. Turbosmart instructions for their own wastegate and springs states 2mm, which is approximately 2 FULL TURNS.
It's whatever is required to get that 3mm. If you just bought a Turbosmart Actuator from American Muscle or something, 2mm would probably be fine. The TunePlus doesn't use the original spring supplied with the Turbosmart Actuator. They install a proprietary spring set specifically for TunePlus. After that, Adam will let you know via the data logging process if you need to make any changes. And thank you for subscribing. I'll try to be more present on here.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thank you for the video! I was considering buying this with the 7 PSI spring and using it with my Cobb stage 2 tune. Eventually I want to get tuned by Adam and would opt for the tighter spring from Tune+.
Have there been a very noticeable difference in turbo spool up with this?

·
Registered
2019 Mustang EcoBoost
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the video! I was considering buying this with the 7 PSI spring and using it with my Cobb stage 2 tune. Eventually I want to get tuned by Adam and would opt for the tighter spring from Tune+.
Have there been a very noticeable difference in turbo spool up with this?
Not particularly. The biggest improvement has been with driveability. Post shift boost surge is gone. I would just get the Tune+ actuator or of the gate versus having to replace that spring. As far as I'm aware, you can't buy that spring separately.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a question. Im going to be upgrading my waste gate to either the 7 psi or the 10psi. Im currently tuned and have seen boost levels ranging between 24 as high as 26.5 psi at full throttle. If I go with the 7 psi waste gate which won't require further tuning how will that perform with what Im currently throwing at it? Or would it be in my best interest to get the 10 psi and do a re-tune?

·
Registered
2019 Mustang EcoBoost
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a question. Im going to be upgrading my waste gate to either the 7 psi or the 10psi. Im currently tuned and have seen boost levels ranging between 24 as high as 26.5 psi at full throttle. If I go with the 7 psi waste gate which won't require further tuning how will that perform with what Im currently throwing at it? Or would it be in my best interest to get the 10 psi and do a re-tune?
The biggest improvement is going to be drivability in either case. I'd personally go with the 10 psi one from Adam and get a retune but I don't know your financial situation. If you can afford it, go all in. Did that help?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
The stock honeywell turbo doesn't too much better than those psi levels. Further, the reason there is a boost controller 'somewhat' negates the need for a tighter spring, albeit a tighter spring will just make it easier to work the turbo to its peak.

The stock wastegate actuator is junk. In my situation, with my FP tune, I was able to shave two tenths off of my 0-60 once I 'upgraded' to the 7 psi Turbosmart.

Just my two cents. You'll have to weigh how much you can afford.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thankyou both for your advice @mgrimes554 and @gatornek . Moneys not so much the issue as the work needed comparatively between the 2 different waste gates. The install is the same but the the additional tuning needed and data log runs and waiting and so on. If the 7 psi will do just as good a job as the 10 psi on the stock turbo running higher boost then I'd rather keep it simple. But if the 7 psi won't operate as well as the 10 psi then I'd rather go with the 10 psi and deal with all the additional stuff. Sorry if thats too long winded.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Gents,
I decided to order the 7 psi waste gate to start as it doesnt require a retune. I want to see how it performs first to decide if I'm liking where the car is at. However, knowing me, if I'm not feeling its enough, I'll go ahead and order a 10psi spring and get the re tune.
Thankyou to both of you for your input.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Gents,
I decided to order the 7 psi waste gate to start as it doesnt require a retune. I want to see how it performs first to decide if I'm liking where the car is at. However, knowing me, if I'm not feeling its enough, I'll go ahead and order a 10psi spring and get the re tune.
Thankyou to both of you for your input.
You'll see it when you take the stock off, there is sooo much preload on it, that the cracking pressure is sure to be super low compared to the turbosmart you're going to put in, with only 2 or 3mm of preload. Basically, that rod isn't getting actuated until all full 7psi's are just about on it. That in turn, is gonna get you spooling faster.

If you check my posts here, I poo-poo'd getting a new actuator for like the first 2 years of ownership, then last year, I finally threw this guy in and I was kicking myself for not doing it earlier. I think its one of the 'musts' that you can add to IC, tune, mufflers, and catchcan list.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Lol, it'll be the same for me just about. I bought the car in 2018(its a 2018) with 50 miles on it.

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
185 Posts
Wowee, what a difference in driveability. The car now feels so smooth and power feels like it comes on quicker and lasts longer. Even the sound of the car is different.
Was moving the heat shield out of the way a big deal?
I'm looking for EZ mods and upgrades, trying to hold off on those that will absolutely mess with my warranty like a DP & tune ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Was moving the heat shield out of the way a big deal?
I'm looking for EZ mods and upgrades, trying to hold off on those that will absolutely mess with my warranty like a DP & tune ;)
Moving the heat shield wasn't a big deal at all. The entire install took me about an hour. I think I got lucky with the bottom bolt as I have an 18, so I didn't have to worry about a T30 torqs bit. Pulling the heat shield out of place and putting it back in place were the hardest parts of the install but even that was pretty easy.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The one thing that got me was the right top bolt completley came out of the block instead of just the nut, but I just tightened it back in with no issues.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
What I will say about this mod.... DO IT!!!! It is the single best mod that I can actually feel, that I have done!
I've put a lot of 'mods' on my car. This was one, which actually registered on the "butt dyno".

1 - 20 of 50 Posts