Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for some insight on a couple questions I can’t seem to find answers to. I just purchased a 2017 Ecoboost with 2,300 miles on it, it’s got the performance package installed which I believe comes with the ford performance tune loaded on to the car. I went ahead and ordered an airraid XMP cai and Cobb accessport. The intake is already installed and the tuner will be arriving in a couple days. I’ve got a few concerns about the tuner if anyone could help me out.

first off, does this car have enough miles on it to be tuned? Is it broke in enough?

secondly, will I see a considerable amount of hp gain from a Ford performance tune to a stage 1 93 octane tune? Is it worth it?

and lastly, can I flash it back to the Ford performance tune? Or will the access port only be able to return it to a completely stock ecoboost tune?

I do plan on getting a pro tune done in the near future as long as the car is ready for it, currently it has the airraid cai as mentioned, and mbrp race car back exhaust. I will not be getting a pro tune until a new downpipe and intercooler are installed. Recommendations welcome. Any help is appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
3,430 Posts
A 2017 ecoboost Performance Pack car came from the factory with the same base tune as any other ecoboost Mustang. You may want to check with Ford Performance to see if the previous owner installed the Ford Performance tune on it, but at 2300 miles I would think it's not likely. If it does have a Ford Performance tune on it, then you need to use the Ford Performance software to return it to a stock tune before flashing it to a Cobb tune. Feel free to search the forum, some folks have had trouble moving to Cobb from Ford Performance without taking it back to a stock tune first.

So on to your questions...

1. Yes, you can tune it with only 2300 miles on it.

2. Based on my experience with a 2017 Ecoboost Performance Pack Mustang, yes, you will feel a difference in performance going from stock to a Cobb Stage 1.

3. See my comment above. Heck, check with Cobb on it too. I went from stock to Cobb Stage 1 at roughly 2000 miles, and have only flashed back once for a dealer visit before I gave up on going through all of that for them.

This car has to have a story to it, and we would be really interested in hearing it. Why does it have so few miles?

Reactions: LostSAAB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A 2017 ecoboost Performance Pack car came from the factory with the same base tune as any other ecoboost Mustang. You may want to check with Ford Performance to see if the previous owner installed the Ford Performance tune on it, but at 2300 miles I would think it's not likely. If it does have a Ford Performance tune on it, then you need to use the Ford Performance software to return it to a stock tune before flashing it to a Cobb tune. Feel free to search the forum, some folks have had trouble moving to Cobb from Ford Performance without taking it back to a stock tune first.

2. Based on my experience with a 2017 Ecoboost Performance Pack Mustang, yes, you will feel a difference in performance going from stock to a Cobb Stage 1.

3. See my comment above. Heck, check with Cobb on it too. I went from stock to Cobb Stage 1 at roughly 2000 miles, and have only flashed back once for a dealer visit before I gave up on going through all of that for them.

This car has to have a story to it, and we would be really interested in hearing it. Why does it have so few miles?

Really appreciate the quick reply! I’ll definitely check with Cobb about the Ford performance tune. I believe you are most likely correct! I had talked to a few local folks that are mustang enthusiasts and they had warned about loading tunes at low miles. But it seems like you and several others on here have had 0 issues, so I will take your word. And as for the car being so low miles... I bought this car from an Audi dealership. Apparently from what they told me, the previous owner drove it a few months out of the year, decided he didn’t like it. And used it as trade in for an Audi. The car is like brand new. Absolutely 0 flaws inside or out. I guess I got lucky because they didn’t seem to know much about the car.. they didn’t even realize it had aftermarket exhaust. I got it for $22,300 and I feel like I stole it. Sticker tag on it was 33,000 from the factory. Really happy with it so far.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Congrats on your Stang. I bought the accessory within the first few months if ownership. I'm at 40K and no problems. It's really a fun car to own and modify. Zhent is pretty much spot on with his advice.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I loaded my ford perf tune at 1k miles. A modern car is broken in within a few heat and drive cycles. I wouldn’t worry about tuning it, it’d be fine.

I’ve already read magazine articles saying cars actually are broken in pretty much at factory a lot now and even if not within 30 mins all the seating is done and broken in. But still advise customers baby it as a cya type deal

I doubt the owner tuned it with 2k to then trade it in, you’re most likely fine. They’d of kept it if they tuned and enjoyed

I second the notion, don’t Cobb over a ford perf tune. Go back to stock, pay for the stock flash if you aren’t satisfied (if it has ford perf tune)flash stock then Cobb don’t go directly over to it

·
Registered
2020 ecoboost base coupe,auto
95 Posts
At 1,800 miles on my 2020 base ecoboost, 10 speed auto, I put a cobb stage one 93 octane canned tune in my ecoboost. Did it help car? Yes it did!

My 2020 base ecoboost with only a Summit drop in free flowing filter and a mixture of five gallons 93 octane went 13.36 @ 102.
Last night back at Baton Rouge Race Track. I put a spare tire kit in truck adding 50 lbs to car, 93 octane and cobb stage one 93 octane my mustang went 13.24 @ 104.72.
Now when I said cobb canned tune, it's a tad hotter tune then factory. It want make your car go ecoboom but will make car perform better. A custom tune by a tuner would help your care! So choose wisely!

So figure out how much money your willing to spend on car and proceed with it. Don't be afraid to ask all the questions and read what others have done to their ecoboost mustang.
Look what is next to me in stagging lanes. Big money!

·
Super Moderator
3,430 Posts
ok, my turn for a question. In the first photo it looks like there's a bubble on the fender, or is it a weird reflection?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I loaded my ford perf tune at 1k miles. A modern car is broken in within a few heat and drive cycles. I wouldn’t worry about tuning it, it’d be fine.

I’ve already read magazine articles saying cars actually are broken in pretty much at factory a lot now and even if not within 30 mins all the seating is done and broken in. But still advise customers baby it as a cya type deal

I doubt the owner tuned it with 2k to then trade it in, you’re most likely fine. They’d of kept it if they tuned and enjoyed

I second the notion, don’t Cobb over a ford perf tune. Go back to stock, pay for the stock flash if you aren’t satisfied (if it has ford perf tune)flash stock then Cobb don’t go directly over to it
I see what you are saying, I just thought I had read that the performance package mustangs came from factory with the tune on them. Don’t remember where I read it though, I’ve overloaded my brain with ecoboost knowledge this past week!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
yep, all ecoboost have same preloaded tune

here’s differences

15-17 have 310tq stock I think it was, they hit 18 psi boost stock
Ford perf raises boost level to 22

18-20 have330 tq? They hit 20 psi boost stock- ford perf tune raises boost to 22

the new high perf pack ecoboost comes with the perf pack stuff, but with a ford perf tune preloaded, 22psi boost if I recall

Oh you should get an intercooler of you plan keeping the car and tuning

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

here’s differences

18-20 have330 tq? They hit 20 psi boost stock- ford perf tune raises boost to 22

the new high perf pack ecoboost comes with the perf pack stuff, but with a ford perf tune preloaded, 22psi boost if I recall

Okay that makes sense. I think it was a 21 ecoboost I was looking at that said it came with the Ford performance tune now that you mention it. And thanks for the advice, intercooler and downpipe are next on the list before I get a pro tune done! After that I think I’ll be done with modding for a while.

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
113 Posts

here’s differences

Don't all the 2.3's come stock 310hp and 350tq except for the 2020 HPP high output which has 330hp and 350tq? The HPP might be tuned a bit different but the bigger turbo is the main difference. The car does not come with a so called pro cal FP tune preloaded in the vehicle. Yes it is tuned a bit different for the bigger turbo and yes it pulls all the way to redline unlike the 310hp 2.3, I have the stage 1 ots 91 cobb tune loaded on my 2020 HPP and it definitely woke it up even more, hitting 24 psi. As soon as I get those RTR grill LED's I will install the cvfab IC and load my 91 5* pro tune......stand by!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
113 Posts
15-17 is the weakest- 18 psi boost

18+ got a hp/tq bump, but that’s because they added 2psi bump in addition to the facelift. 20psiboost
Gotcha! So the 15-17 was 310hp and 320tq, 18+ stayed 310hp but went to 350tq due to the extra 2psi.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Yep
So on 15-17 the ford is a bigger boost in power

than 18 with ford perf

both same in end, but since 15-17 was weakest, Itl feel like a larger value imo all pricing same

·
Registered
449 Posts
looking for some insight on a couple questions I can’t seem to find answers to. I just purchased a 2017 Ecoboost with 2,300 miles on it, it’s got the performance package installed which I believe comes with the ford performance tune loaded on to the car. I went ahead and ordered an airraid XMP cai and Cobb accessport. The intake is already installed and the tuner will be arriving in a couple days. I’ve got a few concerns about the tuner if anyone could help me out.

first off, does this car have enough miles on it to be tuned? Is it broke in enough?

secondly, will I see a considerable amount of hp gain from a Ford performance tune to a stage 1 93 octane tune? Is it worth it?

and lastly, can I flash it back to the Ford performance tune? Or will the access port only be able to return it to a completely stock ecoboost tune?

I do plan on getting a pro tune done in the near future as long as the car is ready for it, currently it has the airraid cai as mentioned, and mbrp race car back exhaust. I will not be getting a pro tune until a new downpipe and intercooler are installed. Recommendations welcome. Any help is appreciated!
BEAUTIFUL CAR AND WHAT A STEAL WITH THE PURCHASE. I HAVE A 18 ECOBOOST WITH AT, PP. NOW IT IS COBB TUNED STAGE 1 91. REVIEWING THE DISCUSSIONS I DON'T BELIEVE THAT MY PP EB CAME WITH A FORD TUNE. OTHERWISE I THINK THAT THE COBB ACCESS PORT WOULD HAVE RECOGNIZED IT AND RESPONDED A "NO CAN DO". ANYWAY THE COBB STAGE 1 91 TUNE (I AM USING 92 OCTANE) CHANGED THE PERFORMANCE MARKEDLY. LOVE DRIVING THE EB.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Before you spend any more money on things that won't give you any performance gain, CAI, upgrade your intercooler. Then a protune and then think about what you'll use the car for and mod/tune from there.

Reactions: steve.amestoyjr

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
I have had 2 of these and I had my second one tuned with in 500 miles. Voided the warranty the day I took it home. Had 18,xxx of no issues and driving it in just about every driving style and weather style there is. I went with Tune+ for my tuning and did data logs so Adam could review them and make changes if needed when I added or took off parts. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had another eco-mustang. hope this helps

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I feel same about ford perf. Got mine 1k miles, I dabbled w Cobb, but realized for me the fp is perfect for me. I will buy a fp tune for any car known that’s available for

1 - 20 of 27 Posts