Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
788 Posts
I second the custom tune option as mentioned above. Except I went with Ryan from PD tuning as at the time only that had life time tuning available. Mines a 2017 daily driver with over 140k on the clock custom tuned very shortly after I had it. Ford Australia here in Adelaide are very very lenient with mods albeit a bit slow at getting any warranty work done right the first time.

I will say that I had the OTS tune stage one for a while to start with but it never felt right. It was deffo an improvement over stock but something just wasn't right with it you have to remember the OTS are only generic tunes and what works for one may not necessarily work for another. Anyway bit the bulit and got a custom tune and it was day v night. Very happy with it.

Launch control flat foot shifting and selectable maps slots that can be changed on the fly are just a few of the features that I liked about the Cobb and no it doesn't have to stay connected for any of that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
looking for some insight on a couple questions I can’t seem to find answers to. I just purchased a 2017 Ecoboost with 2,300 miles on it, it’s got the performance package installed which I believe comes with the ford performance tune loaded on to the car. I went ahead and ordered an airraid XMP cai and Cobb accessport. The intake is already installed and the tuner will be arriving in a couple days. I’ve got a few concerns about the tuner if anyone could help me out.

first off, does this car have enough miles on it to be tuned? Is it broke in enough?

secondly, will I see a considerable amount of hp gain from a Ford performance tune to a stage 1 93 octane tune? Is it worth it?

and lastly, can I flash it back to the Ford performance tune? Or will the access port only be able to return it to a completely stock ecoboost tune?

I do plan on getting a pro tune done in the near future as long as the car is ready for it, currently it has the airraid cai as mentioned, and mbrp race car back exhaust. I will not be getting a pro tune until a new downpipe and intercooler are installed. Recommendations welcome. Any help is appreciated!
Since you already got your questions answered, I can only recommend mods to keep the car happy. Buy the updated low pressure fuel sensor. (There is a bunch of YouTube videos on it). Buy 1 step colder spark plugs like the NGK (YouTube also has videos on it). Buy a oil catch-can. UPR has the best, but the Mishimoto one is okay too. Buy an Intercooler.

·
Registered
26 Posts
looking for some insight on a couple questions I can’t seem to find answers to. I just purchased a 2017 Ecoboost with 2,300 miles on it, it’s got the performance package installed which I believe comes with the ford performance tune loaded on to the car. I went ahead and ordered an airraid XMP cai and Cobb accessport. The intake is already installed and the tuner will be arriving in a couple days. I’ve got a few concerns about the tuner if anyone could help me out.

first off, does this car have enough miles on it to be tuned? Is it broke in enough?

secondly, will I see a considerable amount of hp gain from a Ford performance tune to a stage 1 93 octane tune? Is it worth it?

and lastly, can I flash it back to the Ford performance tune? Or will the access port only be able to return it to a completely stock ecoboost tune?

I do plan on getting a pro tune done in the near future as long as the car is ready for it, currently it has the airraid cai as mentioned, and mbrp race car back exhaust. I will not be getting a pro tune until a new downpipe and intercooler are installed. Recommendations welcome. Any help is appreciated!
I have a question for you. Not meaning any disrespect because product content changes over the years so I could be mistaken..... What makes you think your car has the performance package ? I thought that performance pkg. cars had the strut tower brace ? My 2019 did. Do you have the larger 4 piston brake calipers from the GT ? Are your rear disc rotors vented ? Just wondering, beautiful car !

·
Super Moderator
3,415 Posts
I thought that performance pkg. cars had the strut tower brace ? My 2019 did.
2015-2017 PP cars didn't have the factory strut tower brace. Just FYI... He does have the PP wheels, but I can't answer about the rest.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Personally, my first mods would be a drop in air filter and an intercooler, before the tune. The stock intercooler is insufficient on the stock tune. I have a 2018 10 speed, and it would heat soak after 1 0-60 pass, in cool temps. I did alot of 0-60 passes in 45°- 65° temps, and with a good launch I could do 5.0 seconds, but I could never get better than a 5.3 on my second pass. I installed a CPE stock location intercooler, and then could do repeated 5.0 sec passes. I saw the same thing at the dragstrip. I also installed a Green drop in filter and an Airade intake tube and saw no performance improvement, on the stock tune. This was probably due to torque management, built into the stock tune. After I did the mods, I noticed my peak boost dropped from 21 psi to 20 psi. Again, this was likely due to torque management.
I wouldn't install colder heat range spark plugs, on a 91 or 93 octane tune, unless I was going to run the car at high power for an extended period, like road racing. Ford doesn't recommend it, for their performance tune, and some have had problems with colder plugs. It's been documented on this website. I know some tuners recommend it, but they're also selling them at inflated prices. Colder plugs will also wear out at a greatly accelerated rate. I would make sure my plugs are gapped at .028" though.
I would also use Top Tier gas and a full synthetic API SN + oil. These will help reduce carbon deposits and Low Speed Preignition.
I know many recommend running an oil catch can, but I wouldn't worry about it on the stock tune or a 91 or 93 octane tune, unless running at high power for an extended period. People usually run catch cans due to a concern about carbon build up on the intake valves and octane dilution, due to oil vapors from the PCV system.
In the 2.3 ecoboost engine, carbon buildup on the intake valves is uncommon. I researched it extensively, and was only able to find one 2.3 that had any carbon buildup, and it wasn't very bad. This was much more of a problem in the early 3.5 ecoboost engine. Since then, Ford has adjusted the tune and valve timing, to prevent it. Also, Top Tear gas and synthetic API SN+ oil will help prevent carbon deposits. Also, octane dilution doesn't seem to be a problem, for the average daily driver. I would consider it if I wanted to maximize performance, with an E30 or race gas tune. In the end, a catch can isn't incredibly expensive, if it gives you peace of mind. For my money, I'd rather have a crankcase breather, as they're generally cheaper, and the front timing cover gasket has a habit of blowing out. Your car, your money, your choice.
I think one of the biggest problems, for tuned cars, is poor quality, low octane gas. Especially if you have other than the stock or Ford Performance tune, I'd monitor the octane closely. The Ford tunes are more adaptable, and they're not running as much timing and boost, that's why it's less common to see ecoboom with them. Have fun with the new car! I love mine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 17 EB PP has about 3000 miles on it.
The manual says 2000 miles is the break in period.
I just track the car.
I'm still on the fence about witch way to go with the tune.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts