Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got myself a "custom" Turbo Blanket from PTP. I really wish I could've titled this thread PTP Turbo Blanket Install Review....but alas, I did not do something right...at least I don't think I did by the obvious burny smell coming from the Turbo after a 15 minute sesh post install.

So here's a pic of the PTP product when i got it:
IMG_0609.jpg

The unfortunate part is that this came with no directions. And it was not easy to install. There are some really tight ass spaces in the nooks of the turbo. I can already see why swapping out the turbo is a pain in the @$$. I did contact PTP EARLY in the process to see if they had any pics of the install on the Ecoboost, and they said they did not. But they did have one of the Focus turbo, so they said it was similar, but I don't think so. Here is what they sent me:

image003.jpg
image004.jpg
image005.jpg

I mean, WTF, do I really NEED to take off the turbo to f#ckin wrap it. Again, they provided no instructions in the box. I will be contacting them tomorrow for further information.

I should've took a closer picture of the unwrapped turbo blanket out of the box, but just let me say, that I don't see how the product they sent me could possibly mimick these pictures. Here is a link to the product with a better up close pic of the blanket unwrapped:
https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/collections/ford-turbo-blankets/products/ford-2-3l-mustang-focus-rs-lincoln-mkc-ecoboost-turbo-blanket

I can say right off the bat that in ONE of the pics of the Focus wrap (the middle one), it has 3 springs! and the Mustang wrap only came with two....so again, WTF.

I did get the gist of wrapping the rivet on the flap underneath the turbo exhaust header so that it does 'wrap' the header, but there is no way on God's green earth, that the backside of the exahust turbine housing is going to get wrapped and come all the way around. I just don't see it.

Here is a pic of the front side of the exhaust turbine housing, and it looks as flush as it going to get on the turbo center before the intake side.

IMG_0637.jpg

Here is an "overall" look at my turbo pre-install, after I took after the shield (note the nook underneath the header)

IMG_0620.jpg

Here is overall look after I put the blanket on as best I could, which resulted in slight burning smell.

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

But I think this is where my problem area is. I just don't see how I'm going to took that and wrap it around. I even tried to envision it with the blanket unwrapped and just 'ghost' wrapping the form of how it should be, and it wasn't coming right out to me. So I don't know how I'm going to get this material flush in that nook. I'm sure that 'scrunching' is probably what's causing the burn.

IMG_0632.jpg

I thought maybe that type of wrap would be good enough.....damn better than the heat shield, right? Guess not. I guess the design calls for the exhaust side to be completely wrapped, because I'll tell you what...the outside of that blanket was SIZZLING after my 15 minute sesh. I'm going to have to wait a few hour before I can try to put my heat shied back on.

If I don't end up sending the blanket back, this might be something that requires me getting underneath the car for better angles.

BTW, the heat shield is f#ckin beat to hell, is it easy enough to put back in? My bottom bolt was just a regular 8 mm hex and not a t30 torx. Is that guy easy enough to get back in??

Thanks y'all.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm....found this on their website. But it still doesn't explain the fact that the blanket was HOT to the touch on the outside. Isn't that their whole thing? That the blanket is able to be touched from the outside, because it does such a good job. The plot thickens. I'll keep you guys posted with what I find out

·
Registered
85 Posts
from the pictures it looks like you did a pretty good job on the install. except the last pic maybe. looks like you need to pull the bottom side over towards the cold side more? smoke is normal for a bit. and I don't think you can expect the blanket to be cool to the touch. unless you have provisions for 3 springs I don't see why two would be wrong

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
from the pictures it looks like you did a pretty good job on the install. except the last pic maybe. looks like you need to pull the bottom side over towards the cold side more? smoke is normal for a bit. and I don't think you can expect the blanket to be cool to the touch. unless you have provisions for 3 springs I don't see why two would be wrong
You're absolutely right. You have to get in there, in between the block and the turbo, and pull the material as fully over the exhaust housing as you can. WHAT. A. PAIN. IN. THE. @SS. I'll tell you right now, that if you don't have patience to do this methodically over a two hour period....its not for you.

Think of it like this: Ever have those pair of drawers that had a cinch string around the waist, and that string came completely out? In which case, you had to slowly and methodically work the string back through the hole around the trousers? That's essentially what needs to be done over a two hour period to get this guy to fully fit.

So here's how it goes down:

1) If you gotta strut brace. Take it off.
2) Take off your intake pipe.
3) Take off your coolant tank.
4) Fish the wire through the crevasses in the turbo that would be conducive to pulling it into place in conjunction with the location of the rivet.
5) Lift the car on the right front end.

You will have to rotate between three positions, constantly working material,slowly but surely to the front (underneath the car), pulling with the fishing wire from the top, and also reaching into a VERY TIGHT crevasse with your bare hand inbetween the turbo and the block (from the front) and slowly grabbing at it with your fingertips.

I rotated between these probably a good 20-25 times before I finally got it where I wanted it.

Patience is virtue on this install. Pure and simple. You will also need a good pair of gloves. I actually wore out one of the fingertips on my craftsman work gloves, trying to "work" this wiry material.

IMG_1530.jpg

You can see the tight spaces inbetween the block and the turbo. My hands are all beat up.

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

And I call this one the 'money shot'.

You MUST get underneath the car to be able to properly work the material over the exhaust housing. Its your only angle to see. You can see the small slit of space that you get to work with. LOL.

IMG_1539.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
You're absolutely right. You have to get in there, in between the block and the turbo, and pull the material as fully over the exhaust housing as you can. WHAT. A. PAIN. IN. THE. @SS. I'll tell you right now, that if you don't have patience to do this methodically over a two hour period....its not for you.

Think of it like this: Ever have those pair of drawers that had a cinch string around the waist, and that string came completely out? In which case, you had to slowly and methodically work the string back through the hole around the trousers? That's essentially what needs to be done over a two hour period to get this guy to fully fit.

So here's how it goes down:

1) If you gotta strut brace. Take it off.
2) Take off your intake pipe.
3) Take off your coolant tank.
4) Fish the wire through the crevasses in the turbo that would be conducive to pulling it into place in conjunction with the location of the rivet.
5) Lift the car on the right front end.

You will have to rotate between three positions, constantly working material,slowly but surely to the front (underneath the car), pulling with the fishing wire from the top, and also reaching into a VERY TIGHT crevasse with your bare hand inbetween the turbo and the block (from the front) and slowly grabbing at it with your fingertips.

I rotated between these probably a good 20-25 times before I finally got it where I wanted it.

Patience is virtue on this install. Pure and simple. You will also need a good pair of gloves. I actually wore out one of the fingertips on my craftsman work gloves, trying to "work" this wiry material.

View attachment 35223

You can see the tight spaces inbetween the block and the turbo. My hands are all beat up.

View attachment 35221

View attachment 35222

And I call this one the 'money shot'.

You MUST get underneath the car to be able to properly work the material over the exhaust housing. Its your only angle to see. You can see the small slit of space that you get to work with. LOL.

View attachment 35220

lol sounds like a fun install to me ;)

congrats on getting it figured out man. it definitely looks real slick, if I were you I might leave the original stock heat shield off. its definitely not as necessary with the blanket on anymore and the blanket looks good!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol sounds like a fun install to me ;)

congrats on getting it figured out man. it definitely looks real slick, if I were you I might leave the original stock heat shield off. its definitely not as necessary with the blanket on anymore and the blanket looks good!
Haha. I think I'm the type of 'weekend warrior' mechanic that only finds it fun, when its done and dusted. Thanks again for the reassurances on the smoke/smell. I just took it for a 30 minute sesh, and barely smelled anything at all this time.

Only time will tell if this is a marked improvement over the factory shield. I really was under the impression that I should've been able to touch the blanket from the outside during operation. I believe they had a couple of promo videos of people doing this, but maybe its a different type of thicker blanket.

I wish I could say that I was going to go about this in some sort of scientific fashion, where I already had a collection of temperature data points before the blanket, and now I'm going to collect those same data points WITH the blanket. Sorry. Insteady, you get the 'feels like' analysis. LOL.

Basically, the stick-my-face-under-the-hood-after-rev-sesh felt not as awful as before. LOL.

I think my main focus is basically the heat soaking of IAT and IAT2 after the car would shut off and be parked for a while. I'm really hoping this mod allows me to park my car after hard loads, and be able to get in and start up again after about 30minutes to an hour, and still have good IAT's and not one's that have been baking inside my intake pipe. We'll see....

·
Registered
883 Posts
Looks good. I was getting irritated and annoyed just reading the post. I can't imagine working on it ha. I'm only familiar with exhaust wrap, but I will confirm that early smoke and smell is common. It will go away. And it will be cooler to the touch but likely still not "touchable" after a hard run. Regardless, it should help your iat's I would hope. Let us know.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So have had it on for about a week now:

1) Smell is completely gone.
2) Contacted PTP and they said the video they have where someone puts their hand on top of the blanket while the engine is under load is one, not only with a different blanket, but also with an open hood. They said, driving around, the turbo AND the engine are both going to produce Heat that will escape and bounce off of the surrounding metal parts (aluminum charge pipe, strut brace, etc) and reflect BACK ON TOP of the blanket, while the hood is closed. That is the residual Heat that I am feeling when I try to touch the blanket right after operation.
3) That being said, maybe 15 minutes after engine stop, the blanket is already able to be easily touched, while the surrounding charge pipe, strut brace, etc...are still pretty hot. I'm pretty impressed with that. That's a sizzling turbo sitting right under neath.
4) All in all, I don't think I'm really going to be noticing any performance gains or FEEL any difference in the temps. However, there is exhaustive material out there, including a Research Paper published by PTP in conjunction with the University of Texas, where they all say that there is a few temperature degree reduction in engine bay, and hence IAT and IAT2. And it looks pretty nice too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So have had it on for about a week now:

1) Smell is completely gone.
2) Contacted PTP and they said the video they have where someone puts their hand on top of the blanket while the engine is under load is one, not only with a different blanket, but also with an open hood. They said, driving around, the turbo AND the engine are both going to produce Heat that will escape and bounce off of the surrounding metal parts (aluminum charge pipe, strut brace, etc) and reflect BACK ON TOP of the blanket, while the hood is closed. That is the residual Heat that I am feeling when I try to touch the blanket right after operation.
3) That being said, maybe 15 minutes after engine stop, the blanket is already able to be easily touched, while the surrounding charge pipe, strut brace, etc...are still pretty hot. I'm pretty impressed with that. That's a sizzling turbo sitting right under neath.
4) All in all, I don't think I'm really going to be noticing any performance gains or FEEL any difference in the temps. However, there is exhaustive material out there, including a Research Paper published by PTP in conjunction with the University of Texas, where they all say that there is a few temperature degree reduction in engine bay, and hence IAT and IAT2. And it looks pretty nice too.
pretty impressive the extent that thing can block heat, certainly much better than the stock heat shield plate.

my understanding is that keeping the heat in your exhaust improves efficiency of the motor, your probably right the gains wont be significant but its still a nice aspect to what I think is one of the better things to do to an engine in terms of aesthetics. there's no denying that blanket looks sick.

·
Registered
109 Posts
So got myself a "custom" Turbo Blanket from PTP. I really wish I could've titled this thread PTP Turbo Blanket Install Review....but alas, I did not do something right...at least I don't think I did by the obvious burny smell coming from the Turbo after a 15 minute sesh post install.

So here's a pic of the PTP product when i got it:
View attachment 35210

The unfortunate part is that this came with no directions. And it was not easy to install. There are some really tight ass spaces in the nooks of the turbo. I can already see why swapping out the turbo is a pain in the @$$. I did contact PTP EARLY in the process to see if they had any pics of the install on the Ecoboost, and they said they did not. But they did have one of the Focus turbo, so they said it was similar, but I don't think so. Here is what they sent me:

View attachment 35211 View attachment 35212 View attachment 35213

I mean, WTF, do I really NEED to take off the turbo to f#ckin wrap it. Again, they provided no instructions in the box. I will be contacting them tomorrow for further information.

I should've took a closer picture of the unwrapped turbo blanket out of the box, but just let me say, that I don't see how the product they sent me could possibly mimick these pictures. Here is a link to the product with a better up close pic of the blanket unwrapped:
https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/collections/ford-turbo-blankets/products/ford-2-3l-mustang-focus-rs-lincoln-mkc-ecoboost-turbo-blanket

I can say right off the bat that in ONE of the pics of the Focus wrap (the middle one), it has 3 springs! and the Mustang wrap only came with two....so again, WTF.

I did get the gist of wrapping the rivet on the flap underneath the turbo exhaust header so that it does 'wrap' the header, but there is no way on God's green earth, that the backside of the exahust turbine housing is going to get wrapped and come all the way around. I just don't see it.

Here is a pic of the front side of the exhaust turbine housing, and it looks as flush as it going to get on the turbo center before the intake side.

View attachment 35217

Here is an "overall" look at my turbo pre-install, after I took after the shield (note the nook underneath the header)

View attachment 35209

Here is overall look after I put the blanket on as best I could, which resulted in slight burning smell.

View attachment 35215

View attachment 35208

But I think this is where my problem area is. I just don't see how I'm going to took that and wrap it around. I even tried to envision it with the blanket unwrapped and just 'ghost' wrapping the form of how it should be, and it wasn't coming right out to me. So I don't know how I'm going to get this material flush in that nook. I'm sure that 'scrunching' is probably what's causing the burn.

View attachment 35218

I thought maybe that type of wrap would be good enough.....damn better than the heat shield, right? Guess not. I guess the design calls for the exhaust side to be completely wrapped, because I'll tell you what...the outside of that blanket was SIZZLING after my 15 minute sesh. I'm going to have to wait a few hour before I can try to put my heat shied back on.

If I don't end up sending the blanket back, this might be something that requires me getting underneath the car for better angles.

BTW, the heat shield is f#ckin beat to hell, is it easy enough to put back in? My bottom bolt was just a regular 8 mm hex and not a t30 torx. Is that guy easy enough to get back in??

Thanks y'all.
hey there after all that you did to get it installed , was it worth it ? I'm contemplating getting one,to lower the temp under the hood...let me know your thoughts ...tks in advance ...vp

·
Registered
570 Posts
Holy Crap! $204 for turbo blanket! I’ve been using the ones of EBay for years $18 and done.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey there after all that you did to get it installed , was it worth it ? I'm contemplating getting one,to lower the temp under the hood...let me know your thoughts ...tks in advance ...vp
Worth it? Depends on your value of $180 which is what I paid for the blanket after a 20% Black Friday discount. And it also depends on whether you want to take on a rather methodical two hour install to get it on right. Would I do it again? Yeah. I've been obsessively popping my hood right after prolonged operation, and even going back after 15-20 minutes and finding that turbo area much cooler than it used to be. Like I said previously, I can lay my hand on the turbo blanket, only 15 minutes after operation. In terms of 'faster spool' or 'cooler intake temps'....without a dyno, a FLIR camera, and a dedication to take valid before and after readings, its hard to register those conclusions. In fact, even the 'research papers' where people have done these tests, only show a few degree improvement in temps and slightly quicker to get to max boost then previously. But not anything discernible to the regular human experience.

Another reason I did it, was because I knew I wanted to change the wastegate actuator, and felt I didn't want to put the heat shield back on afterwards, so wanted to find an alternative.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holy Crap! $204 for turbo blanket! I’ve been using the ones of EBay for years $18 and done.
Yeah, I wouldn't attempt to chintz like that on my daily driver. If I was going to do it, I wanted to do it right, with a blanket that was wrapped to form. Not so sure I'd trust the materials on something that inexpensive. Cheap price ALWAYS means cheap materials. Remember, this is something that you don't want catching on fire!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't attempt to chintz like that on my daily driver. If I was going to do it, I wanted to do it right, with a blanket that was wrapped to form. Not so sure I'd trust the materials on something that inexpensive. Cheap price ALWAYS means cheap materials. Remember, this is something that you don't want catching on fire!
Made of the same material, my EGTs are anywhere between 1200-1600 deg F after a hard run in my SVO and with the exhaust glowing red I can still put my hand on my “cheap” turbo blanket......lol it’s your money.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Made of the same material, my EGTs are anywhere between 1200-1600 deg F after a hard run in my SVO and with the exhaust glowing red I can still put my hand on my “cheap” turbo blanket......lol it’s your money.
what turbo blanket did you buy?

·
Registered
570 Posts
what turbo blanket did you buy?
I don’t remember, but it was either the titanium or lava model. I ordered 2 thinking I would only get a year out of it, but the first one lasted 3 yrs and I have a new one going in with the new motor.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don’t remember, but it was either the titanium or lava model. I ordered 2 thinking I would only get a year out of it, but the first one lasted 3 yrs and I have a new one going in with the new motor.
I have seen them advertised as T2 etc. Not sure which to order. Did you leave the heat shield off after install?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts