Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
746 Posts
Yeah, your guys thread from a year or so ago is the motivation behind the GT grill for sure. I think you GOTTA be into the looks if you're gonna spend money on this. The gains you are talking about are comparatively minuscule for precise measurement, no? If I do get it, I think I would hollow out all the honeycombs, but stop short of cutting out the "entire fang triangle" at the end of the grill.

This is what I have for sanding. Will this work? You guys started with 80 grit and went to 120? I want to be sure before I ruin the back of the grill. Thanks!!
View attachment 25595

The Velossa tech waerehouse/showroom is actually in Hollywood, FL which is not too far from me (45 min?). I was planning on going down there today, and had arranged it with him, but he shot me an email telling me he wasn't feeling well and that we could try for next week. I'll definitely have some pointed questions for him when I go.
I was kidding about the gains....I used a disc sander. Its a lot faster. Be prepared for a mess. I finished off the rough edges by hand using different files. Once installed, you'll never see any imperfections.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I was kidding about the gains....I used a disc sander. Its a lot faster.
Phew! Did't just wanna call you out without knowing you too well. :D

If I only plan on doing the honeycombs in the "corner fang triangle" of the GT grill, right in front of the intake...do you think that sander would suffice?

Thanks!

·
Banned
746 Posts
40916E6C-DE5A-4431-9D6F-59289A05B4F4.jpeg
1AC63A55-AA8E-4C38-A41E-9203318D8569.jpeg
Phew! Did't just wanna call you out without knowing you too well. :D

If I only plan on doing the honeycombs in the "corner fang triangle" of the GT grill, right in front of the intake...do you think that sander would suffice?

Thanks!
I was afraid of screwing it up… Just grind the hell out of it and finished sand it after It’s one of those jobs were 1/2 takes you two hours the other half takes you 10 minutes because you know how to do it…

·
Registered
986 Posts
Does anybody know what the difference is between the GT and RTR grill versions of the Big Mouth? I don't have either of those grills and I'm wondering which version would be more adaptable to my billet aluminum grill.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Does anybody know what the difference is between the GT and RTR grill versions of the Big Mouth? I don't have either of those grills and I'm wondering which version would be more adaptable to my billet aluminum grill.
I don't know, but you should give them a call. The "brains" behind the operation is a guy named Dan. I actually visited their warehouse in Hollywood when I bought mine. He was very good about returning calls if you leave him a message. I know its the Holiday, but I'm sure he'd be the best person to answer your question. Have a Happy Thanksgiving Sarge!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't know, but you should give them a call. The "brains" behind the operation is a guy named Dan. I actually visited their warehouse in Hollywood when I bought mine. He was very good about returning calls if you leave him a message. I know its the Holiday, but I'm sure he'd be the best person to answer your question. Have a Happy Thanksgiving Sarge!
How do you like the piece? I've done reading on what it does for airflow, but have you noticed any improvements after adding it?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
How do you like the piece? I've done reading on what it does for airflow, but have you noticed any improvements after adding it?
It's been probably my most "underrated" mod in terms of what it actually did for my temps.

Specifically, most of the year in Miami (except maybe around now until February) it is perpetual summer. Hence, my IAT's will soak in heat, whenever I am in my traffic-full commute. Yeah, my peformance IC does a good job on the back end...but I want to start with better IATs to begin with.

What I DID NOTICE, is that before the Velossa Tech, it was a little difficult for my IATs to 'recover', after I got in motion again. Once my IAT's got 20-30 degrees above ambient (and they will/would if I idle long enough), they had a heck of a time trying to come back down, even with plenty of forward motion. It would literally take getting on the highway/expressway and accelerating to at least 60 mph to put a dent in lowering my heat soaked IAT's. That is not the case any longer.

So yeah, the main benefit I've gotten from it, is the ability for my IAT's to quickly recover whenever I've been sitting in traffic.

PS - I just recently purchase a PTP custom turbo blanket to basically keep addressing the same issue....which is the tendency for my engine to heat-soak, in particular, since it has no heat extractors on the hood.

Hope this helps.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts