Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay all you vert owners, sorry coupe folks, I want hear from you... tell us what you like most about owning a convertible, what you don't like about it, list out your modifications, or simply post a pic or two. I'm really curious what you folks are doing with yours, and how your experience of owning one has been.

To start this off, let me say that I love mine. I wanted a GT coupe they had here for sale, but the wife said no to that, mostly because she wanted the experience of driving with the top down, the Nav, the power and ventilated seats, and an automatic, all of which the GT I was looking at didn't have. Three months later, while I still somewhat crave for the power of a GT, I am really loving this EB convertible, and doing what I can, as I can to personalize it and make it unique.

My list of mods is fairly short at this point, and I'm hoping to get a tune into it later today. But at any rate, let's hear from the rest of you please.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2019 EcoBoost performance package
241 Posts
This is my fourth Mustang, all convertibles
1965 triple black, 289, 4 barrel, 3 speed
2006 triple black Pony, put an Xcharger Xtreme supercharger on that
2013 Race Red MCA - tried to turbo that one, blew up 3 times and pulled the turbo off
2017 white convertible

When I got the 2017 I was going to get a coupe in Royal Crimson. Had the deal all set and was on the way to pick it up when the sales guy told me on the phone "just a heads up so you aren't surprised when you get here, but the sales manager made some changes". Told him to forget it because I wasn't playing the game with them and he needed to fix it to the deal that he faxed me the day before. Called back and said they made adjustments but there were still some changes. Told him forget it, not going to deal with a dealer that plays shady games, good bye Scenic Motors in Mt. Airy. Got a text about a half hour later from Asheboro Ford asking if I was still interested in a Mustang and if I wanted to come in and take one for a test drive. Went over to see them, was going to "settle" for a GT coupe that didn't have everything I wanted. When we walked inside my wife saw the white convertible and said "why are you going to get a coupe now that we live in the south?" (we moved from Michigan). Left with the Ecoboost convertible instead.

Nothing beats a nice day and dropping the top to cruise.

It would be nice to have a little more back seat room. The S550 has even less than the S197 convertible platform had.

I only wish that for drag racing the convertible wasn't heavier than the coupe and that the NHRA/IHRA rules didn't require adding a 6 point roll bar if the car is quicker than 13.49 in the quarter mile.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my fourth Mustang, all convertibles
I only wish that for drag racing the convertible wasn't heavier than the coupe and that the NHRA/IHRA rules didn't require adding a 6 point roll bar if the car is quicker than 13.49 in the quarter mile.
GREAT story, thank for posting... and while I agree with the quoted section above, we all know that getting these things, especially verts, down to less than 14 1/4 mile time is... well.. doable but requires some work. Enjoyed the history and your story none-the-less.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Not many mods at all...have been in and out of the hospital and have not had achance to do any modding yet. Just the colder plug, tinted windows, trunk mat, and a chromed out fuse box cover

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not many mods at all...have been in and out of the hospital and have not had achance to do any modding yet. Just the colder plug, tinted windows, trunk mat, and a chromed out fuse box cover

That's cool... care to post some pics for us to see?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I forgot that I did the LED upgrade and I added the Redline hood struts. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I forgot that I did the LED upgrade and I added the Redline hood struts. Enjoy!

It's a great looking car maddog... I especially like the side stripes and chrome fuse box. Those polished wheels don't look bad either :)

Reactions: MaddogUSMC

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thanks! Your's is nice also!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think so. I noticed it when we first got the car the day after mothers day. It was hanging down, and I snapped it back up into place.
Huh, now I'm really curious.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I believe it is a strap which is part of the convertible top. There’s one on both sides. My car had to have the top replaced prior to delivery due to a defect and I found the L/S hanging loose and snapped it back into place, after discovering that it appears they broke one of the tabs off. I had to partially drop the top in order to get slack in the strap to do so, that is why I believe it is part of the top.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had a '66 Pontiac LeMans convertible, black over white, 326 V-8, Cragar Mags. :cool: It was a fun cruiser. Not particularly quick, but pretty danged fast.

I had to sell it when we moved (no room to properly store it, plus it was just deteriorating). :( Always missed it. Fast forward 20+ years - spotted the EB at the dealer we've bought from before. I knew I'd get a great deal, so I went for it.

There's just something about dropping the top to let in the sun, the wind, the road grime and the heat accumulated waiting for the damned light to change. :rolleyes: Gotta take it on a road trip before summer sinks its fangs in. As we get into true Florida summer, I'm sure the A/C will be used more often and the top will stay up until October or so. I told my wife my father's day gift in 2024 can be a 2022 Hi-Po EB coupe. That certainly went over big. :D

Reactions: EcoVert17

·
Registered
92 Posts
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Bumper
I typically own one car and then I lease something relatively inexpensive. I own or should I say my wife owns...lol a Lincoln MKX for the family. I typically have leased a Hyundai Sonata, or Kia Optima, both very good cars.

I got sick of driving mediocre cars. I just loved the re-designed Mustang. Hard top, and Vert. Did my research and found this 2016 with 11k miles on it and snatched it up.

Before picking it up I had the Ford performance Tune and Air box installed from the dealer.

I bought Ultimate Performance rims from Facebook and bought snow tires for the winter. So far I added a trunk mat. I sound proofed the wheel wells, and hope to sound proof the spare tire well this summer.

Added RPI mud flaps (only the front so far have not had the time to do the rears). I added chrome trim rings for the fog lights. Gt350 Rock gaurds. Drink Holder in the rear.

I ordered fog light splitters from China, painted them oxford white. Only to find out they do not fit well and had to remove them.

Plan on buying a Strut tower brace next, and maybe axle back exhaust so I can hear a little rumble.

Would also like to add a little kick to the stereo, very disappointing with the top down.

Many many more mods to come....lol

Vehicle Car Car seat cover Auto part Car seat
Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Rim Wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
82 Posts
Just seen this post. This is my third mustang. One was highly modified 78 302 Mustang ll with glass t-tops. Second one was 2002 Stock Mustang V-6. Got totaled by 75 yr old lady. Now have a 2015 Eco magnetic premium vert with 6 -speed manual. Many mods, very fast and fun to drive. By far my fav stang.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Having owned verts for the last 40 years or so, this was a natural progression. Moving forward, last year I sold two 2004 Thunderbird's and was looking for something to buy. The verts are good weather driving only cars, the wife said I don't care what you buy, as long as the top goes down. Enter the Mustang Ecoboost Premium.

I've added a CAI package, colder plugs, larger IC and charge pipes, and tune by Ryan. I must say for a A10, this car gets sideways in the first four gears. My wife keeps saying stop that, and I tell her if Ford didn't want me to drive like that, they wouldn't have put the different modes on it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Having owned verts for the last 40 years or so, this was a natural progression. Moving forward, last year I sold two 2004 Thunderbird's and was looking for something to buy. The verts are good weather driving only cars, the wife said I don't care what you buy, as long as the top goes down. Enter the Mustang Ecoboost Premium.

I've added a CAI package, colder plugs, larger IC and charge pipes, and tune by Ryan. I must say for a A10, this car gets sideways in the first four gears. My wife keeps saying stop that, and I tell her if Ford didn't want me to drive like that, they wouldn't have put the different modes on it.
I humbly disagree that the vert is only for good weather, but laughed out loud about your response to your wife in how your drive it. I've had mine for 2.5 yrs now and still drive it like I stole almost every time I get into it. :)

Reactions: KLTA and jackstang
1 - 20 of 29 Posts