Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By far, the best video I've seen on the detail & process of walnut blasting the back of your valves.

Apparently, there is a special tool that fits into the port, that allows you to blast and suck at the same time. He highlights it in the video. He has excellent before and after shots. I wonder how feasible this is. Apparently, all you need is a decent blaster, a shopvac, the special fitting tool he highlights, and an ability to remove the intake manifold.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Keep in mind, Ford has no approved method to clean the valves and advises against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course they advise against it. It might be one of the most intrusive maintenance jobs that there is. They would never advertise for you to actually perform this on your car because imagine all the engine failures that would result from people who don't do this correctly, and allow pieces of 'nut' to get inside their cylinders. But if you watch the video, the guys does an awesome job, and basically credits using the correct tools. I just wanted to highlight that he makes it look fairly straightforward, but yeah, I probably won't be doing this myself anytime soon. ;)

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
CRC makes a cleaner that is specifically design for direct injection engines. You spray it into the intake when the engine is running to clean off the deposits. Seems like using that every 10k miles or so makes more sense than waiting until the build up gets so bad it effects performance.

Dave

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CRC makes a cleaner that is specifically design for direct injection engines. You spray it into the intake when the engine is running to clean off the deposits. Seems like using that every 10k miles or so makes more sense than waiting until the build up gets so bad it effects performance.

Dave
You would spray this where? Into the CAI? So then it goes through the turbo, IC, piping, & throttle body, and it's still supposed to clean the back of your valves? I don't know......

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
No spray it into the intake manifold. I disconnect the hose from the catch can to the intake manifold and spray it into the hose. There is also a line on the top of the intake manifold right behind the throttle body you could take off to spray in. Or disconnect the charge pipe from the throttle body.

Dave

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I disconnect the hose from the catch can to the intake manifold and spray it into the hose
ahhhhh. okay.
So you've used this before.....regularly?

Or disconnect the charge pipe from the throttle body.
if you do it this way, can you still build enough 'engine rev power' to do it properly, with the turbo essentially disconnected? Thanks Dave!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I used it regularly on my 15 and I am coming due to do it to my 17 for the first time.

I do it by disconnecting the catch can hose, the UPR can has nice easy quick connects at the can. With the hose disconnected you are creating a vacuum leak that causes the idle to go to about 2000 rpm. I spray the cleaner in until it starts to bog the engine then regulate the spray to get a steady rpm.

I have been doing this to keep the top end of my turbo cars clean going back to the 80s. With direct injection it has become more important.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
For most Ecoboost owners, deposit build up on the back of the valves is only going to cause a drop in noticable engine performance after the car has done 100,000 miles (160,000 Kms).
Not many people will still have the car by then, especially if they had it from new.
Don't get too caught up in all this carbon build up worrying with direct injection IMO. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Be careful about using CRC or any other cleaner sprayed through the intake. What happens when the cleaner dislodges a piece of carbon off the valve? It goes into the chamber and then out the exhaust pass the turbo. It is possible to damage the turbo. CRC or any other clean on a non turbo DI engine will not be an issue. But on a turbo engine I would not recommend it.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Be careful about using CRC or any other cleaner sprayed through the intake. What happens when the cleaner dislodges a piece of carbon off the valve? It goes into the chamber and then out the exhaust pass the turbo. It is possible to damage the turbo. CRC or any other clean on a non turbo DI engine will not be an issue. But on a turbo engine I would not recommend it.
These cleaners dissolve the carbon build up, there is no more of a chance that a chunk will dislodge using the cleaner than a chunk just coming off while driving. Even if a piece was to dislodge it will pass through the engine and turbo harmlessly.

I have been driving turbo cars continuously for the past 34 years and almost 1 million miles. I have used top end cleaners regularly in all of them and have never had any kind of turbo failure.

Dave

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These cleaners dissolve the carbon build up, there is no more of a chance that a chunk will dislodge using the cleaner than a chunk just coming off while driving. Even if a piece was to dislodge it will pass through the engine and turbo harmlessly.

I have been driving turbo cars continuously for the past 34 years and almost 1 million miles. I have used top end cleaners regularly in all of them and have never had any kind of turbo failure.

Dave
Dave,

If its at all possible for you to video the next time you use it, that would be awesome. I'd be very curious as to how the engine is sounding as you do it, and also there is nothing like a direct example to learn from! Thanks Dave!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I recently purchased an inspection camera that I have planned to fish into the intake to look at the valves then do the top end cleaner and take another look. When I do I will post pictures.

It won't be until spring when it's a little warmer.

Dave

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would think the catch can should help tremendously. My wife had a VW Tiguan that developed a miss and the check engine light came on at a little over 50k miles. She had a mechanic mess with it a couple times but didn't help the problem. I did a little research and found that the most likely cause was carbon buildup. I ran a couple cans of Seafoam intake cleaner through the intake and it came out of it. We traded it off shortly after that. That's why I put a catch can on my Ecoboost when I got it.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wouldn't put that seafoam stuff in my direct injection car. I'm mildly skeptical about CRC, but trust Dave to change my mind eventually with a video. My original post was about how 'crazy' an idea I thought walnut blasting was, until I saw Average Dude do a damn fine job on his own. Just need the PROPER tools. Im sure a mechanic with experience in doing it, would be able to get it done easily. Those valves looked as good as new when he was done! Did you guys watch it all the way thru.

Anyway....

See here on seafoam (credit @slojas for the video)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I wouldn't put that seafoam stuff in my direct injection car. I'm mildly skeptical about CRC, but trust Dave to change my mind eventually with a video. My original post was about how 'crazy' an idea I thought walnut blasting was, until I saw Average Dude do a damn fine job on his own. Just need the PROPER tools. Im sure a mechanic with experience in doing it, would be able to get it done easily. Those valves looked as good as new when he was done! Did you guys watch it all the way thru.

Anyway....

See here on seafoam (credit @slojas for the video)

Yikes, dont credit me for that video, those guys dont have a clue about what they are doing or how the product works.

These videos are a better.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yikes, dont credit me for that video, those guys dont have a clue about what they are doing or how the product works.

These videos are a better.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Haha. No disrespect. LOL. It's a 'credit' as I remember you were the one that posted saying "DON'T DO THIS!!!". LOL.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I only used the Seafoam intake cleaner as a "bandaid" to see if it would work so we could trade the car off. It worked for that. Not sure how long it would work. As for using the CRC every 10k miles, no way would I do that. Not sure what else it would/could affect.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
As for using the CRC every 10k miles, no way would I do that. Not sure what else it would/could affect.
And why not?
CRC has been a go to company for automotive chemicals for 60 years. They know what they are doing and have a very long standing track record.

Not sure if every 10k miles is necessary but if regular use keeps your valves clean it is certainly a better situation than waiting until you have so much carbon built up it effects how the engine runs.

Dave

1 - 20 of 35 Posts