Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. First post here. I have a 2019 fully loaded Ecoboost Mustang. I am totally happy with it as is, but my partner got me curious about modding it to be even better. I have a 6 year original warranty, and do not want to invalidate that. My first question is, what mods can I do to boost performance without invalidating the warranty?

I am kind of new to modding, but not lacking the ability. From what I have learned, I want to upgrade the intercooler, add a cold air intake, and get a tuner thingy. Is it even possible to do any of these things without invalidating the warranty? I searched the web, and can't find a satisfactory answer. Thanks! I will definitely have more questions depending on if I can even start modding.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
The factory warranty is 3 years bumper to bumper and another 2 years for the powertrain after that. You're on the right track with the mods. Intercooler and tune is a good start. In terms of voiding the warranty, the Moss Magnusson act offers some protection in asking that the manufacturer be able to prove your mod created the problem. However, the issue with tuning your ECU, is that so many CEL's can be easily attributed to the one calibration that controls all things in the powertrain like timing, ignition, fuel, etc. So, usually, when you flash or tune your car...your kissing your warranty goodbye and treading into "on your own" land. But again, it is still up to the dealer to give you a fair shake. So if for instance, you tune your car, but your air conditioning breaks, well...there should still be NO reason that the dealer doesn't fix your AC. I hope that's a decent example to get my point across. In terms of the Eco Mustang, you should check out the Ford Performance calibration as they offer you a 3 year warranty with it. That's what I tuned mine with due to these same concerns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like I need to wait for the warranty to run out before doing any mods. Bummer.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Some good advice above.

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
81 Posts
Bought my '16 CPO last October with 17K miles. Added an extended 6yr/72K, $0 deductible parts/labor warranty plan into the financing, so I'm covered for a good while. I've made several changes, mostly focusing on improving efficiency and likely won't risk altering the tune for a few years. Seems flashing a tune is the heavy straw that breaks the camels back. Besides, I don't greatly feel the need for more raw power. This 2.3 EB is plenty powerful if you drive like a sane person. There's also the thought of my spending ~$5000 so far, then flogging my 4-banger into destruction with a risk of being denied warranty protection. I could've bought a 5.0 if power was a major priority. Please don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my ride, but every time a 5.0 with aftermarket pipes barks and burbles by me, hindsight makes me wonder, what if......?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gents, while on the subject of warranties, would upgrading with an aftermarket cat back exhaust possibly void? I'm looking to get the MBRP Black Street Version. 😎

·
Registered
85 Posts
Install a JB4, as powerfull as a stage 2 Cobb and absolutly undetectable by the dealer.
I am now Stage 3 Cobb with a Pro Tune because i plan of upgrade to a big turbo but i highly recommand the JB4. I have run it in many car and it Is awesome and i have never have trouble with thé dealer. 5 minutes to remove.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts