Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading along with a few things I've experienced since getting the Mustang. Pre-submission edit after typing all this and not feeling like erasing parts of it: I did the bov, intake, and tune simultaneously.

I initially installed a Turbosmart Dual Port V2. I like the VTA sound on my Ranger, but it would constantly be venting with the Mustang, even under light acceleration. Leaving a traffic light at average acceleration would be like psshh, psshh, psh, psh, psh until I hit cruising speed, and it would stop. It wouldn't do that under heavy acceleration but would vent when letting off, as appropriate.

At the same time, I installed my JLT cold air intake. Initially thinking something was wrong with the Turbosmart, I swapped it back to the stock diverter valve. So now, it's thump, thump, thump, thump, under light acceleration. Under heavy acceleration, I don't hear it thump when letting off because of engine noise.

Then I thought maybe it was the tune, but reverting to the stock tune didn't change the thumping. So, after reading up on it and finding out that the Mustang just "randomly" vents as needed, I've accepted that this is normal and believe I'm hearing the thump because of the intake tube now not being as flexible as the stock, and not having the resonator on the airbox.

Thanks if you read through all that to get to the actual question. I question whether upgrading the wastegate with the turbosmart 7-pound spring stops that "random" venting. I know it's stronger and supposed to hold boost better, but I don't know what that means in terms of the bov.

Thoughts? Thanks for any info! I know enough to think I know how to fix something and little enough to f-things up. LOL

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
I was reading along with a few things I've experienced since getting the Mustang. Pre-submission edit after typing all this and not feeling like erasing parts of it: I did the bov, intake, and tune simultaneously.

I initially installed a Turbosmart Dual Port V2. I like the VTA sound on my Ranger, but it would constantly be venting with the Mustang, even under light acceleration. Leaving a traffic light at average acceleration would be like psshh, psshh, psh, psh, psh until I hit cruising speed, and it would stop. It wouldn't do that under heavy acceleration but would vent when letting off, as appropriate.

At the same time, I installed my JLT cold air intake. Initially thinking something was wrong with the Turbosmart, I swapped it back to the stock diverter valve. So now, it's thump, thump, thump, thump, under light acceleration. Under heavy acceleration, I don't hear it thump when letting off because of engine noise.

Then I thought maybe it was the tune, but reverting to the stock tune didn't change the thumping. So, after reading up on it and finding out that the Mustang just "randomly" vents as needed, I've accepted that this is normal and believe I'm hearing the thump because of the intake tube now not being as flexible as the stock, and not having the resonator on the airbox.

Thanks if you read through all that to get to the actual question. I question whether upgrading the wastegate with the turbosmart 7-pound spring stops that "random" venting. I know it's stronger and supposed to hold boost better, but I don't know what that means in terms of the bov.

Thoughts? Thanks for any info! I know enough to think I know how to fix something and little enough to f-things up. LOL
As far as the BOV, there isn't anything to fix.
If your valve opens and closes on vacuum, then it is working correctly. If you watch your boost gauge, you can see that under low load, your engine runs mostly in a vacuum, therefore, opening the BOV vent. When your engine is under a load, you will have positive boost pressure and your BOV will close.

PS: What type of tune are you running?

Reactions: Buldawg76

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I’m currently running a 5 Star tune, but am moving over to Livernois now that they responded about unmarrying the tuner from my Ranger.

I do know it’s not the tune as it does it on the stock calibration as well. I’m currently running the stock calibration while waiting on the Livernois tune and it continues to happen, just like before.

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Thanks for the response. I’m currently running a 5 Star tune, but am moving over to Livernois now that they responded about unmarrying the tuner from my Ranger.

I do know it’s not the tune as it does it on the stock calibration as well. I’m currently running the stock calibration while waiting on the Livernois tune and it continues to happen, just like before.
Stock calibration is good for your current modes. A lot of aftermarket air intakes amplifier normal air noise. As for upgrading the wastegate, the 7 psi spring is good for stock and/or stage 1 tunning, you can change to a heavier spring once your fully tuned.
I recommend upgrading your inner cooler before making any additional changes.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Intercooler/charge pipes and catch can are next in line. After that, I'll look at the downpipe and exhaust. I have active exhaust, though. Not sure how much difference there is between stock downpipe/exhaust on sport or track mode and upgrading to a full 3" from the turbo back—another discussion for another thread.

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Intercooler/charge pipes and catch can are next in line. After that, I'll look at the downpipe and exhaust. I have active exhaust, though. Not sure how much difference there is between stock downpipe/exhaust on sport or track mode and upgrading to a full 3" from the turbo back—another discussion for another thread.
Aftermarket Intercooler, etc. should allow you to bump up to a stage 2 tune and the downpipe with high flow catalytic converter should support a stage 3 tune.
I was able to knock off 4/10s of a second from my quarter mile ET with just the basic Bolt-ons and an OTS 91/93 octane tune.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts