Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Mustang EcoBoost with about 40,000 miles on the clock. Every since we bought it about 16 months ago there is a slight water leak on the passenger side near the door/window interface. We never see it until there is a pronounced rain that seems to last for hours. Even then it is a small amount but it is annoying and can't be good long term. I have tried to replicate it with a garden hose in warmer weather but with much effort, I cant seem to replicate it. I can't see if it is coming from the windshield seal, the weather stripping around the door, or someplace else.
Has anyone ever dealt with this on their Mustang?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
That high up and on the interior side of the opening, I would suggest either cowl drains are clogged or a bad seal on the windshield. Drains have been noted previously by others here and on the M6G forum. Seems to be an issue for those who park outside (I'm garaged).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Zo hoog en aan de binnenkant van de opening, ik willen voorstellen dat de afvoer van de kap verstopt zijn van een slechte afdichting op de voorruit. Afvoer is eerder M door anderen hier en op het6G-forum. Lijkt een probleem te zijn voor die buiten parkeren (ik ben gestald).
[/CITAAT
That high up and on the interior side of the opening, I would suggest either cowl drains are clogged or a bad seal on the windshield. Drains have been noted previously by others here and on the M6G forum. Seems to be an issue for those who park outside (I'm garaged).
Hello John,
Thanks for the info,how can I clean the cowl drains?

Erik.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Not really sure, presumably you have to remove the wiper arms, then the plastic cowl cover to get to them. Then clean out anything around drain and run a wire down them. If this is wrong, hopefully someone with actual experience will chime in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I am finding that the cowl drains on the new body style are harder to find and I can't find much information?
While digging online I have found a few other reports and it seems like, it's 1. Cowel Drains, 2. Windshield Seal, 3. Pin Holes in body seam sealant.

·
Registered
2015 MUSTANG ECOBOOST
205 Posts
Well I had pretty much a lake on the passenger side after 24 hour of rain. I also wonder where did it come from and then I went on the engine compartment and stuck a rod down the drains and some how that worked. . This is the passenger side drain under the battery . So my guess is it's dropping from the windshield down to that and splashing into the cabin and into the passenger side. Could be wrong. Also don't mind the tube. The car done come with that tube. I was doing something

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 MUSTANG ECOBOOST
205 Posts
Well I had pretty much a lake on the passenger side after 24 hour of rain. I also wonder where did it come from and then I went on the engine compartment and stuck a rod down the drains and some how that worked. . This is the passenger side drain under the battery . So my guess is it's dropping from the windshield down to that and splashing into the cabin and into the passenger side. Could be wrong. Also don't mind the tube. The car done come with that tube. I was doing something
Also that drain under the battery do get clogged because that drain has a flap that get stuck if it gets dirty

·
Registered
5 Posts
MX2forty, I just noticed that my 2017 EB has what appears to be the exact same leak as what you mentioned. Water was showing at the exact same spot as in the pics you shared. I located and checked the cabin air filter and it was completely dry (though quite dirty). There are no obvious signs where the water is coming from. I will check the cowl drain under the batter tonight, but honestly that seems to be at a lower horizontal location than where the water appeared in the cabin - its worth a look though. What did you figure out with yours?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never figured it out. It is very strange, we can have heavy rain and it won' leak at all but every 4th or 5th rain, he gets a small amount in that same spot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I'm still trying to figure this out. I'm gonna pull the battery tonight and see if the cowl drain is somehow plugged and causing the issue. It just seems like the spot where the leak is appearing is too far above where the cowl drain is at for a plugged cowl drain to be the issue. It's worth a shot though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I checked the cowl vent under my battery box and it was not plugged. I used a watering can to run some water through it and it drained out under the car, no problem. So I made an appt at the local Ford dealership and took it in yesterday... They said that the issue was a "plug in the A pillar that needed to be replaced." They said it was "VIN specific" and I'm guessing that is probably to mean it is specific to either convertible or coupe, otherwise I don't know why it would have anything to do with the VIN. They had to order the plug as they didn't have it in stock, so I'll have to take it back in once they get it in stock. I'm hoping that this is the correct fix - I had fully expected them to have no idea what was causing the leak or where it was coming from. I'll try to get a part # or at least a part name and pass it along.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts