Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

What determines a black or chrome grill pony?

14K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  johnnybee 
#1 ·
My car came with a chrome grill pony emblem. I ordered a black one to use with the GT grill I'll be installing. I looked over a bunch of Mustangs at my local dealer. I couldn't figure out what determines what color they get. Anyone know?

#2 ·
I believe they are all chrome from the factory. Anytime you see a different color pony, front or back, someone has painted it or replaced it.

#3 ·
The cars I was looking at were new. Most had a chrome pony but a few had black.

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
For me, my eyes are drawn to the chrome emblem when I look at the front of the car. I might open up the bottom grill to expose the silver aluminum intercooler so I think there will be to much going on. I think it will look better with the solid black painted upper grill and some silver peeking out at the bottom. Tells people this one is different

#4 ·
Isn't there a option in the new Mustangs to "black out" the emblems and all? That might explain it.

#5 ·
I think there is an option for black ponys, in the front now. I just recently saw a 2018-19 and it had a black pony in the front, and it was a teenage girl driving. I figured maybe her Dad did it for her or something. But now it makes sense if they are starting to come from the factory that way.

#6 ·
I did a search for that. It’s called the Black Accent Package. Offers Ebony Black painted 19-inch wheels, black decklid spoiler, black badging and painted black roof.

#10 ·
Based on the number of manufactuers offering black out trim options I would say it's pretty popular and has nothing to do with being ashamed to display an emblem.

To me the S550 Mustang is all monochromatic and the two chrome pony emblems look out of place. To make my car more unique I have an aftermarket wire mesh grill up front with no emblem at all. On the back I have a black pony. I would prefer the faux gas cap like the 50th anniversary package in 15 but haven't found a panel with one or just the emblem that I am willing to pay the price for.

What I find most amazing the only place FORD appears on the car is in the black edging on the windshield.

Dave

#13 ·
I'm not a huge fan of the chrome either. It's okay, and if that's what some guys dig, I'm okay with it. To each their own. I'm slowly phasing out the shiny bits piece by piece. I considered different colored ponies, but they seem to be expensive for what they are. I picked up a can of plastidip that matched my wheels (graphite). It seems to match pretty well. Not the blacked out look, but not chrome either. Something different, yet something that matches the wheels (I think). I haven't sprayed it yet (too cold). I did a quick sprayout though on cardboard though to see how it looks. I'll probably give it a shot when it warms up.

Tire Wheel Alloy wheel Automotive tire Rim

#14 ·
I'm not a huge fan of the chrome either. It's okay, and if that's what some guys dig, I'm okay with it. To each their own. I'm slowly phasing out the shiny bits piece by piece. I considered different colored ponies, but they seem to be expensive for what they are. I picked up a can of plastidip that matched my wheels (graphite). It seems to match pretty well. Not the blacked out look, but not chrome either. Something different, yet something that matches the wheels (I think). I haven't sprayed it yet (too cold). I did a quick sprayout though on cardboard though to see how it looks. I'll probably give it a shot when it warms up.

View attachment 27623
I tried using the black saphhire metallic plastidip at first, with some 'glossifier' on top, but it had a couple of lumps on it that was making me frown. Temperature and the environment you apply it in makes a HUGE difference.

#16 ·
Blue Automotive exterior Grille Hood Vehicle

I think the grill looks cleaner with the black pony (just my personal taste).

#18 ·
Also part of the black accent package you get the ambient lighting... Even though the gloss black pony looks nice it's kinda not that noticeable so I changed mine out with a black chrome stands out a little bit more in my opinion looks better..oh and it also lights up

#20 ·
Hey, I love the black pony look - I did it to mine front and back. Gonna go with black SVE S350 wheels from LMR and theres going to be no chrome at all on the outside :)

Attachments

#21 ·
I'm not a huge fan of the chrome either. It's okay, and if that's what some guys dig, I'm okay with it. To each their own. I'm slowly phasing out the shiny bits piece by piece.
And here I am! I'd like a bit more shiny bits on the car. I think the chrome surround on the coupes (Pony package and Bullitt) looks great. Does anyone know if the Pony package grille is a different piece or is the corral and the spears simply added to the existing grille? I like that look and would be happy to buy the pieces from Ford to add to mine.

#22 ·
That's what makes this platform great. The customization is endless, providing us each with what we like. I actually do like a lot of the pony pack stuff, even though it is shiny. Don't quote me on it, but I always assumed they were a separate grill. Hopefully someone else can shed light.

#24 ·
Could always go this route, just need to chrome the silver parts!

Attachments

#26 ·
#28 ·
Yep, would only fit 15-17 Mustangs.

#29 ·
I just bought a 2019 Mustang eco-boost convertible "performance" edition. It came with the blacked out pony emblems on both the front grill and the rear deck panel. It also had performance tires, brakes and blacked out wheels, along with stiffer suspension, and a cross bar mounted over the engine. It also has the oil gauge and boost gauge built into the middle of the dash between two air vents. The other big difference is the top end speed, will get to that in a moment. The regular or even premium EcoBoost models as you'll notice, all have the silver pony emblems - which also noted, have NO built in oil/boost gauge on dash, no cross bar over the motor under the hood, no real performance tires/brakes/or blacked out wheels......these models only have a top speed of 120-mph. The performance edition on the other hand - the one I own, has a top speed of 145 mph. And how do I know this ???? well, I tested it out on a flat, empty, long straight stretch of highway and I was totally unaware of this until the car kept accelerating once it got to 120, then 130, then 140, then got to around 142, and took my foot off the gas but it still wanted to go faster. I've had 5 mustangs and I've tested all their top speeds and they all stopped accelerating at around 121, 122, and they wouldn't go any faster. I've had a 2003 V6 Manual, a 2012 V6 manual, a 2016 V6 Manual, a 2017 EcoBoost 10 speed, and all of them would not go past 120 mph. But now that I have the 2019 EcoBoost 10 speed convertible special performance edition. Those are the things to look for when shopping for a performance edition, look at the wheels and pony badges, if they're black, it means the car is the performance edition, and it'll have to other features - oil and boost gauge in the middle of the dash and the steel/metal cross bar over the engine, along with performance brakes and suspension. It must also have a performance driveshaft as well because all the cars with the chrome pony badges had 2 piece driveshaft and that's the reason they wouldn't push past 120 because going 145 would more than likely break the driveshaft.

#30 ·
My 2019, with performance package has the chrome ponies. The difference between ours is that you have the "black out" package as well. Other than that, ours are the same.

I have all the same things that you listed except the black ponies.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.