Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

2921 - 2940 of 2980 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
my new filter arrives, first impression. This thing is nice. I will pull out my kn filter tomorrow and compare them. I needed a 2nd filter so I can swap them have backup as other dries and cleans. (Reversed order) but don’t feel like fixing typo.

got it for 49 at advanced auto parts.

I remember the kn filter when I opened it. It wasSOAKEd in oil. This is oiled too, but it is much better applicationed

I may use this as my main, and just use kn while this dries if tomorrow when I compare if it looks much nicer side by side

(only concern because I have those velossascoops) so now I will suck up debri and bugs at a far higher rate than if I had original honeycombs

·
Super Moderator
6,315 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Does it matter? The kn has 31 rows of pleats, the afe has 25-26. The afe seems nicer handling.
Looking through both. Seeing as km has more rows, it seems to be less light flowing through. Meanwhile I can see more light through afe.

idk. If both are same price? What’s nicer?

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
110 Posts
Does it matter? The kn has 31 rows of pleats, the afe has 25-26. The afe seems nicer handling.
Looking through both. Seeing as km has more rows, it seems to be less light flowing through. Meanwhile I can see more light through afe.

idk. If both are same price? What’s nicer? View attachment 39549
Are they the same thickness?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Are they the same thickness?

the actual dimensions of the ruber/filters seem the same. but the pleats, there's definitely more 5-6 more in kn, and seems more dense. I have no doubt the afe will flow way more, but I don't want tons of dirt going into engine either.

on the kn, the glue is a mess up and down the sides, like entire glue away from the edges and crap, must of been made on a Friday. I can't say anything bad about the AFE, looks solidly constructed, just a little worried about how much light I can see through it, and less pleats, always read less pleats means less flow, or filtering

·
Registered
2020 ecoboost base coupe,auto
88 Posts
the actual dimensions of the ruber/filters seem the same. but the pleats, there's definitely more 5-6 more in kn, and seems more dense. I have no doubt the afe will flow way more, but I don't want tons of dirt going into engine either.

on the kn, the glue is a mess up and down the sides, like entire glue away from the edges and crap, must of been made on a Friday. I can't say anything bad about the AFE, looks solidly constructed, just a little worried about how much light I can see through it, and less pleats, always read less pleats means less flow, or filtering
Always remember our ecoboost engines are nothing but a vaccum machine! Once the turbo starts spinning it will suck what it needs for air thru any filter including trash past it.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
how do you determine what's a quality filter? I just bought a AFE 5r (5 layer filter oiled) because I had a coupon to make it the same price as K&N.

I paid 50 for KN at advanced auto parts, and now 50 for the AFE. I just pulled the K&N to clean it, I forgot how much of a mess the filter was, glue lines etc all jacked up. but it does have 31 pleats, and the AFE has 26. I can see through the afe pretty easily, but it is a clean filter, the kn I can't see through as much, but its dirty, its drying now.

imo, the build quality is better on the afe, but wondering if the KN is still better. I want to figure out which is better as that will be my main filter, the other just being a spare for when the main is being cleaned and oiled.

here's KN
33-5029 K&N Replacement Air Filter

here's afe
Magnum FLOW Pro 5R Air Filter

View attachment 563875

View attachment 563876

View attachment 563877
I can only find afe flow chart

View attachment 563882

edit everyone- I don't know why, but I pulled it out, and looked through it outside (natural sunlight) and I see full coverage, blue, everywhere, no holes or anything. in my kitchen last night, maybe it was the color of my yellow lights or something, but I swore I saw large holes. nope, I looked over every inch of it outside, there's blue/fibers/everythings covering it just as it should.

I called AFE and they told me to take a photo of the holes and send to them, and dammit, I couldn't find any.

between KN and AFE, they both look like quality filters, (I have KN on all my motorcycles, etc..) never had an issue, but after washing the KN last night, (there was a lot of flies) stuck between its tightly compacted pleats) the AFE is going to win that, because, larger pleats, means flies won't be smooshed in between them and won't have to be running plastic knife through the grooves to remove the flies.

AFE is my choice for my mustang in the end.

I am going to wash it every 10-15k miles though, use KN filter for a few days while I let the afe fully dry itself during cleanings. afe customer service was also legit, very quick, told me IF THERES EVER ANY ISSUE. was his exaggerated words, they will replace it no questions asked. he said we have lifetime warranty on that filter, even if you feel its not filtering, we can even custom make you another filter.

I said if I wanted a 7 pro guard for my mustang, he said you can have one made, but they only stock the dry 3 layer, and 5r oiled, he says the 7 pro guard is overkill, but if thats what I really wanted one day he would have it made. takes about 2 weeks.

edit- the only car I do not use oiled filter on, is my 2013 Scion tC. it has MAF, just like you GT guys, so I tossed an AEM on it, and I gained a good 2mpg. what upset me though LOL. is when I went to swap the filter, the dealership at some point, never closed my airbox. it was literally wide open, latches weren't even on. and it had been like a good 20-30k since I was at the dealership. but it runs just fine, just can't imagine how much dust got sucked up into it.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
found out afe made their own snorkel mouth. releasing April View attachment 39551

I don't really know how I feel about the afe branding. I kinda hated it when I saw it, but I think it could add a neat little flare to that snorkel. but there's evidently no matching left side.

wish velossa techs had that smooth of a surface, I had to have mine sanded down. but thats a large company vs smaller guy individually making them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't really know how I feel about the afe branding. I kinda hated it when I saw it, but I think it could add a neat little flare to that snorkel. but there's evidently no matching left side.

wish velossa techs had that smooth of a surface, I had to have mine sanded down. but thats a large company vs smaller guy individually making them.
I use the AFE big mouth snorkel on my 17 F150 3.5 mainly for a little bling to the engine bay. I may throw the black AFE snorkel behind my RTR grill when I get around to installing it.....been waiting on the LED's for a month now but have the upper and lower grill sitting here. These darn lights are also holding up my cvfab street intercooler installing because I don't want to pull the bumper twice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finally got around to installing the Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can. Watched the videos over and over as it sounded this would be the most difficult part of the install. And so it was. Especially the short side. Anyone else notice how the posters edit that part out? Ended jacking the car up and getting to it from under the car. I just couldn't work it out through the top as it was way too tight. After getting those darned clips off it was a piece of cake. Seems Mishimoto updated the hoses and fittings as these come out straight from the can and have built in O-rings. This is actually a nice package from Mishimoto - looks good and quality feels excellent. Bad thing about finishing a project is that right away you start thinking about what to do next.

·
Registered
2020 ecoboost base coupe,auto
88 Posts
Tackled the intercooler install today on my 2020 base ecoboost.
On the 2020 mustang instead of a bolt holding bumper to fender, they now have two ten mm nuts and a plug that must come off. Picture below.

once bumper came off we encounter this setup to block airflow going over radiator in winter time, it must come off to install intercooler. Pictures below.

Once that was remove, not the easiest thing to do. We was able to swap out intercoolers.

It's on, everything is tight, started up engine, no lights flashing, went take a ride.
Tomorrow we tackle the JTL catch can.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's a true mishimoto intercooler. along with pipes I didn't install on car. View attachment 39578
View attachment 39579

back to track next Friday.
Why not install the pipes? I've been running a mishi cooler on my 17 3.5 F150 for 4 yrs of heavy towing and under sustained boost conditions IAT2 temps don't get above 120°.....great stuff!!

2921 - 2940 of 2980 Posts