Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

2961 - 2980 of 2980 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ecoboost - 1” drop, C&L CAI, 92 octane performance Unleashed Tune, NGK plugs
19 Posts
Awesome man! Torrie is the ****, you won’t regret it!
Indeed. One of the coolest dudes ever. I’m actually going to buy direct from him with my next mods - inter cooler, down pipe and exhaust, and blow off valve.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Did a quick 2 through 4th gear pull this morning to check knock counts. 2nd full tank of e30. At full throttle, I only saw knock counts of -1 maximum, which seems pretty good I think. The weird thing was that I saw some positive knock, too. Can anybody explain what that is to me? Other than that anomaly, everything seemed to pull strong. Ran up to 105 in 4th gear, 22 1/2 pounds of boost, and the intercooler continues to impress.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Did a quick 2 through 4th gear pull this morning to check knock counts. 2nd full tank of e30. At full throttle, I only saw knock counts of -1 maximum, which seems pretty good I think. The weird thing was that I saw some positive knock, too. Can anybody explain what that is to me? Other than that anomaly, everything seemed to pull strong. Ran up to 105 in 4th gear, 22 1/2 pounds of boost, and the intercooler continues to impress.
The positive knock just means your adding timing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Took her out for the first post-winter shakedown ride. I have a tank of old gas to burn up so I'll be using it until it's gone.
I've been putting all my time getting my DD in order so it feels good to drive the Mustang. Some of us comment negatively about the shifter in our rides but coming from using my Jetta the last 3 wks I think our shifters are great. What a contrast! If you've ever driven a stickshift '80s FWD mopar you'll know what I mean.
Good to be back on the horsey. Giddyup!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ecoboost - 1” drop, C&L CAI, 92 octane performance Unleashed Tune, NGK plugs
19 Posts
Well, I was going to share that today (yesterday) I got a new stereo, amp, and subwoofers installed, but Car Toys is having issues with the stereo communicating and the HVAC not working. They had to keep it an extra day to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I dont know if anyone can help me try and troubleshoot a noise, before I start calling transmission places/dealership.-- its not the engine, its either throw out bearing, or input shaft bearing, or maybe it needs new manual gear tranny fluid. (ordered some amsoil 75w-90) already, figure thats the cheapest attempt to fix.

I have 170,000 on this clutch. Its been this way probably 70k miles. lol. what sucks is, there's a TSB for input shaft bearing, but it expired at 60k miles, and well im outside that.

1. No noise when clutch is fully pushed in with leg. 2. No real noise when clutch is out, in idle. 3. Noise gets louder, in gear, as you go higher RPM. I am hoping its a throwout bearing, as I can get new one with a clutch. I hope its not input shaft bearing. It drives perfect, other than whirring noise. I am at 170k miles. I am going to drain and refill transmission with amsoil 75w-90 gear lube to see if it quiets it down, maybe it'll lubricate the gears and make everything quiet.

I dont have any grinding, I dont have any pop out shifts, nothing, other than a whirring noise on acceleration/annoying. if it was the throw out bearing, when I eventually get a new clutch job it would be fixed, but im not interested in really tearing down tran for a rebuild if it isn't needed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I dont know if anyone can help me try and troubleshoot a noise, before I start calling transmission places/dealership.-- its not the engine, its either throw out bearing, or input shaft bearing, or maybe it needs new manual gear tranny fluid. (ordered some amsoil 75w-90) already, figure thats the cheapest attempt to fix.

I have 170,000 on this clutch. Its been this way probably 70k miles. lol. what sucks is, there's a TSB for input shaft bearing, but it expired at 60k miles, and well im outside that.

1. No noise when clutch is fully pushed in with leg. 2. No real noise when clutch is out, in idle. 3. Noise gets louder, in gear, as you go higher RPM. I am hoping its a throwout bearing, as I can get new one with a clutch. I hope its not input shaft bearing. It drives perfect, other than whirring noise. I am at 170k miles. I am going to drain and refill transmission with amsoil 75w-90 gear lube to see if it quiets it down, maybe it'll lubricate the gears and make everything quiet.

I dont have any grinding, I dont have any pop out shifts, nothing, other than a whirring noise on acceleration/annoying. if it was the throw out bearing, when I eventually get a new clutch job it would be fixed, but im not interested in really tearing down tran for a rebuild if it isn't needed.

Since you don’t hear anything with the clutch pedal depressed, you can rule out the throw-out bearing. It could be the input shaft, but you would normally hear it making noise in neutral and at idle as well as at speed so I doubt that’s it. I think you made the right call starting with replacing the gear oil. Not only is that the cheapest option, but most likely the solution, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I
Since you don’t hear anything with the clutch pedal depressed, you can rule out the throw-out bearing. It could be the input shaft, but you would normally hear it making noise in neutral and at idle as well as at speed so I doubt that’s it. I think you made the right call starting with replacing the gear oil. Not only is that the cheapest option, but most likely the solution, in my opinion.
guess that is what I am going to be doing. will update this week.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My dad and I made the trek to Watkins Glen for opening weekend track laps. For some reason they cut the event down to 3 hours (1-4) both days from all day the year before. It was packed. We waited in line for 2 hours from entering the gate to getting on the track. I got stuck as the 2nd car behind the pace car, but I was still able to lag back a few times and give it a go. That e30 really put some power down. My dad was more impressed than I was I think ha. We broke the tires loose twice without even trying (track mode). After that, we made the obligatory trip around the retired "old course" up in the hills, then downtown for a burger and a beer. Long day, but a good one. I was able to get some cell phone video, I'll have to see if I can edit it down a bit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Finally got her out of storage, time to have some fun!

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Super Moderator
6,315 Posts
Picked up a quick lift from a guy at work. Put it to work today doing pre-track maintenance and inspection before tomorrow's TNiA at Eagles Canyon

Makes tire swaps and oil changes a lot easier.

Put the new wheels and RS-4s on, however ...

gonna need some 10mm spacers to get the wheel/tire off the strut.

More photos are in my gallery.

2961 - 2980 of 2980 Posts