Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
3441 - 3460 of 3486 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Started today on teardown of cracked block. Will pull bad block apart. Then come all the new fun goodies.
Sounds like a big project! Can you keep us up to date on your progress and maybe post some pictures?? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Got bad block out of car and torn apart. Time to clean and reassemble new block with Mahle internals.
Awesome! What are the specs on the Mahle internals? Which engine block are you using?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I ceramic coated my baby last week with Carpro CQuartz UK. I didn't go crazy with the polish and just did a quick one-step as I've come to the conclusion that a daily driver just can't be kept in a concourse level. Also, for that same reason I went with a ceramic coat. Sometimes my schedule gets a bit hectic and I can't wash my car for 2-3 weeks and I am hoping this will take the beating well. As far as gloss levels, it's not too bad. I would say the gloss levels of my Turtle Wax Anniversary ceramic and graphene infused wax was shinier but let's see what happens after the first wash and I put some beadmaker on it as a drying aid. I would show pics but I didn't take any. I also had to reinstall a racing stripe on my roof so I want that to cure before I add a ceramic coat on the roof. I am in the middle of installing Steeda differential bushings and the IRS bushings and alignment kit and it has taken me forever. I post that when I am done and hopefully take her for a ride and see if all the hype is right.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Completed the upgrade of my crappy premium 9-speaker stereo (started last weekend).
  1. Replaced the door speakers and a-pillar tweeters with Alpine S-S65C (lower doors and tweets) and 30MC for the midrange.
  2. Added a Kicker CompC 10" sub.
  3. Made the change with Forscan to send a full-range signal to all speakers.
  4. Disconnected the center speaker (couldn't keep up with the others).
I achieved exactly what I wanted - a much more listenable and enjoyable system. Not an "ultimate" system, but a significant improvement over stock. It's actually amazing how much better it sounds, considering these are basically entry-level aftermarket speakers. I had planned for all my money to go into performance mods, but this OEM stereo was really disappointing me. My wife said it sounded like AM radio, so that was the last straw!

Edit: Ok, maybe not completed... I think I'm gonna order some rear speakers, too. I thought I could get away with leaving the OEM in place, but they're likely distorting before the other speakers do. And, I can already turn it up so much louder now!
If you ever play music and go to the back seat, you will soon realize those speakers in the back are absolute garbage and probably cost Ford $3.00 a pop. I change a few speakers, but haven't gotten around to completing the project. I have never used Forscan, how was the process?

·
Registered
829 Posts
If you ever play music and go to the back seat, you will soon realize those speakers in the back are absolute garbage and probably cost Ford $3.00 a pop. I change a few speakers, but haven't gotten around to completing the project. I have never used Forscan, how was the process?
I was on the fence between upgrading the rear speakers or eliminating them altogether. After listening for a bit with them disconnected, the system didn't sound bad, but I don't think I invested enough in the front speakers to carry the whole system, nor do I intend to. So, a pair of Alpine rear speakers to match the fronts is on the way from Crutchfield.

Forscan is not hard to use. The hard part is finding the right changes to make, as the info posted online can be confusing. Different numbers and options for different models and years, so research thoroughly. I always look for confirming posts from more than one source before changing anything. And, of course, document the original values, so you can always revert back, if needed.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Have a Ford Performance block. So we see. Only looking for around the 400 WHP. Today cleaning all reused parts.
Nice choice!
Is it the Ford Performance block M-6010-23T or the RS block with the Mustang mounts that they use in the new performance create motor?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I installed the rear differential bushings and the IRS alignment and bushings from Steeda. CJ Pony Parts said 2 hours and you are on the road. 8 am start and at 8 pm I threw in the towel. I took my wife's car to work the next day and finished it that evening. What a difference a day makes. I'm sure I can do the next one in 2 hours. First time doing anything like this. The front differential bushing installation almost made me cry. There was so little space to insert the bushing. After taking a lunch break and a beer, I got one in. I finally used a caliper ratchet to give me space between the bushing and the gas tank just to get in the last one. Overall very happy with this. These are marginal gains. Just sitting in the car I felt a change. It feels more planted and it has improved my steering feel which is one of my main goals with this car. I have a very short commute so didn't really get a chance to test her on twisty roads. I'll update this if I feel I need anything major to add.

·
Registered
2015 MUSTANG ECOBOOST
205 Posts
I installed the rear differential bushings and the IRS alignment and bushings from Steeda. CJ Pony Parts said 2 hours and you are on the road. 8 am start and at 8 pm I threw in the towel. I took my wife's car to work the next day and finished it that evening. What a difference a day makes. I'm sure I can do the next one in 2 hours. First time doing anything like this. The front differential bushing installation almost made me cry. There was so little space to insert the bushing. After taking a lunch break and a beer, I got one in. I finally used a caliper ratchet to give me space between the bushing and the gas tank just to get in the last one. Overall very happy with this. These are marginal gains. Just sitting in the car I felt a change. It feels more planted and it has improved my steering feel which is one of my main goals with this car. I have a very short commute so didn't really get a chance to test her on twisty roads. I'll update this if I feel I need anything major to add.
Is it different from the subframe alignment kit . Do you have images just curious how it took you a day and a half.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Is it different from the subframe alignment kit . Do you have images just curious how it took you a day and a half.
I just it was exactly that. Yes, it took me too long I did take a two hour break too, but this one took the cake for whatever reason. I didn't take any pictures because I was too frustrated. By the way I'm also a pro photographer, but cars are not my specialty. Neither are mechanical skills.

·
Registered
2015 MUSTANG ECOBOOST
205 Posts
I just it was exactly that. Yes, it took me too long I did take a two hour break too, but this one took the cake for whatever reason. I didn't take any pictures because I was too frustrated. By the way I'm also a pro photographer, but cars are not my specialty. Neither are mechanical skills.
It's all good that's awesome you tackle a project like that when mechanic incline your not.. nothing wrong with that just curious. When I did mines took me twenty min. All i did was use a bottle jack to support the frame close to the blue bolt so the frane won't come down when i remove the bolt. Then when i removed the bolt i put the insert then the bolt back on and repeated to the other ones. One by one. i seen on videos that they allow the subframe to drop slightly which then they state if you have problem inserting the bolt back on you need to loosen the other bolt to adjust alignment . I didn't had to do that cause like i said i never allowed the frame to drop and just did one bolt at a time. But atleast you got some experience with it.. (y)(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'm pretty mechanical, but some jobs are new to me. I totally took my time installing the Steeda Stop the Hop kit, since I spent a lot of time looking things over and seeing how everything was assembled and how it worked. I find it enjoyable to do everything slow and deliberately. Of course, it's not my daily, so no pressure to get it back on the road. I always say the same thing - the first time through I'm learning, so if something requires the same work on the opposite side of the car, I'm usually much faster the second time.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Glad you got it done! For my own amusement, I keep tabs on my spending and always bill my labor to Education. Last year I only lost $9960... LOL!?

3441 - 3460 of 3486 Posts